“Great place to eat”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Steamboat Bill's

Steamboat Bill's
Ranked #3 of 265 Restaurants in Lake Charles
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Bradenton, Florida
“Great place to eat”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Must try all items on menu.all looked and smelled so good could not decide upon just one item. Visited location several times before departing.

Visited October 2012

Dallas, Texas, United States
“I LOVE THIS PLACE”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I'm from Lake Charles and whenever I go home, Steamboat Bill's is a must-stop! The seafood is always fresh, hot, and delicious. Try it all, you won't be disappointed.

Visited October 2012
Columbus, Ohio
“Good honest Cajun food....,"I tell you for true"”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Wow, Steamboat Bill's has it! Boudin Balls,Gumbo, Etoufee, fried crispy catfish, and cold beer "Ay-eee Cher!" Service and atmosphere are wonderful and the fabulous desserts finish off a great meal.
"It's all good"

• Visited September 2012
3 Thank Chas G
Houston
“OMG! Great Gumbo & Service!”
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Both the shrimp gumbo and chicken & sausage gumbo were fantastic (and I'm pretty much a food snob). Boudin ball was tasty and served with a jazzed-up mayo that really could be terrific and all kinds of things. They really have their service down as well. We happen to hit the lunch hour and thought we'd be forced to wait. But they directed us to the shortest line to order, took a seat and they brought our food to us in no time. The server comes around frequently to fetch additions like more soda or their delicious lookin desserts (although I didn't imbibe). We're definitely coming back here!

Atlanta, Georgia
“Crispy, Fried & Delicious”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

OK...anyone who knows me or has read any of my reviews understands that I'm not normally a fast-food or fried-food guy: I usually avoid this stuff like the plague....except when I'm in Lake Charles, where I always stop in at Steamboat Bills for a fix of some of their deep-fried goodness!

This is a very casual, comfortable, relaxed, noisy, laughter filled, eat 'till you're stuffed' kind of place that does a good job of getting people in and out while providing solid customer service and charging reasonable prices. Lots of tables full of families, couples and friends enjoying gallons of iced-tea and bottles of beer with their meals.

Walk in the front door, grab a menu to study while you wait in line (the line moves fairly quickly), make your selection and tell the person at the register/front counter what you want. They'll give you your beverage and a card with your order number. Follow a server to your table, stick your order card in the holder on the table and in a short time you'll receive a huge basket full of some of the best prepared, delicious fried seafood you'll ever have.

On my recent visit I thoroughly enjoyed...no LOVED...the crispy, fried & delicious shrimp 'scampi' and french fries, along with a side of some very good coleslaw. The seasoning was perfect, and the shrimp was fried to a golden brown color and was not greasy in any way! The breading/coating on the shrimp was exactly the right amount and was seasoned perfectly: not too heavy, not too skimpy. My two brothers had various fried entrées as well (catfish, etc.) and seemed to really enjoy their meals. We were all smitten with the Boudin balls as our appetizers: washed down with a couple of cold beers, they were tasty!

I've also had some of the featured Cajun items (gumbo, etouffee) and found them to be pretty good, but generally unremarkable compared to other gumbos/etouffees I've had in Southern Louisiana. Would have loved to try almost any entrée that featured craw-fish, but they were not 'in season' yet so I'll have to wait until my next visit.

I will most certainly return to Steamboat Bills next time I'm in Lake Charles.

• Visited September 2012