“Crispy, Fried & Delicious”
Review of Steamboat Bill's

Steamboat Bill's
Ranked #1 of 266 Restaurants in Lake Charles
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch
Atlanta, Georgia
“Crispy, Fried & Delicious”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

OK...anyone who knows me or has read any of my reviews understands that I'm not normally a fast-food or fried-food guy: I usually avoid this stuff like the plague....except when I'm in Lake Charles, where I always stop in at Steamboat Bills for a fix of some of their deep-fried goodness!

This is a very casual, comfortable, relaxed, noisy, laughter filled, eat 'till you're stuffed' kind of place that does a good job of getting people in and out while providing solid customer service and charging reasonable prices. Lots of tables full of families, couples and friends enjoying gallons of iced-tea and bottles of beer with their meals.

Walk in the front door, grab a menu to study while you wait in line (the line moves fairly quickly), make your selection and tell the person at the register/front counter what you want. They'll give you your beverage and a card with your order number. Follow a server to your table, stick your order card in the holder on the table and in a short time you'll receive a huge basket full of some of the best prepared, delicious fried seafood you'll ever have.

On my recent visit I thoroughly enjoyed...no LOVED...the crispy, fried & delicious shrimp 'scampi' and french fries, along with a side of some very good coleslaw. The seasoning was perfect, and the shrimp was fried to a golden brown color and was not greasy in any way! The breading/coating on the shrimp was exactly the right amount and was seasoned perfectly: not too heavy, not too skimpy. My two brothers had various fried entrées as well (catfish, etc.) and seemed to really enjoy their meals. We were all smitten with the Boudin balls as our appetizers: washed down with a couple of cold beers, they were tasty!

I've also had some of the featured Cajun items (gumbo, etouffee) and found them to be pretty good, but generally unremarkable compared to other gumbos/etouffees I've had in Southern Louisiana. Would have loved to try almost any entrée that featured craw-fish, but they were not 'in season' yet so I'll have to wait until my next visit.

I will most certainly return to Steamboat Bills next time I'm in Lake Charles.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank ATLBob

San Antonio, Texas
“GREAT cajun food”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Steamboat Bill's was an awesome place to fill up on some cajun delights. The food was hot and delicious. We ate there 2 nights in a row (mostly because everything else was closed on Sunday). The service was outstanding and the people very friendly. Thir desserts are to die for... We had the burbon pecan pie and the bananas foster cheesecake... yuuuuummm

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Rowena S
“Great seafood in wonderfully setting”
Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

It was good to get back to Steamboat Bill's. good portions of great combinations. We happened on this place on a previous trip to New Orleans.

1 Thank Pathfinderdon
Houston, Texas
“Good for your soul!”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Good food makes you happy! Happy happy happy! Always a pleasant visit there and always Leave with food for the next day. Can't wait for the gator to arrive!

1 Thank Jeremy W
Charleston, West Virginia
“just good food!”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

no white linens, no romantic music, no candle light......just good fried seafood! I got the catfish/chicken regular combo plate and it was a lot of food. My friend got the large shrimp/chicken combo plate and it had about two dozen fried shrimp and eight chicken filets.....too much food for sure, the large combos should definitely be shared!

• Visited September 2012