“Great time, highlight of our trip!”
Review of Airboat Adventures

Airboat Adventures
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Lafitte
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We did a small airboat tour in December 2012. I was thrilled to find this company because they were willing to allow my 5 year old son on the small boat- this was literally the only company I contacted which allowed a child his age on the small airboat. We purchased the tour with transportation which was very convenient, being picked up from our hotel. Unfortunately we didn't know that the alligators hibernate in the winter, so we only got to see 1 small one which came up for air. Luckily our tour guide literally whipped a small one out of his jacket! A 2 year old alligator he keeps as a pet (can you imagine?) It was super cold, make sure you dress appropriately if you are doing this tour in the winter- my husband didn't have a winter jacket, but luckily he wore a lot of layers- you definitely needed hat, gloves, etc- especially when the airboats are at top speed. They give you earphones to reduce the noise of the boat, and it was really cool to see the swamp even though the alligators were all hibernating. I think they should make a point of telling you that when you book- we weren't that upset, but I could definitely picture other people being super upset about that. When we were leaving on the bus, our driver asked if anyone wanted to be dropped off in the French Quarter (our hotel was in the warehouse district)- which was great since we did want to do some more sightseeing and it saved us from having to walk the 15 minutes back to the quarter to see some more sights. I was glad they allowed us to do that. I highly recommend this as a side trip from New Orleans- enjoy!

1  Thank lucymoosey
Write a ReviewReviews (1,436)
All reviews
in 18 reviews
"bus driver"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Paid to be picked up at hotel. Driver said he didnt have anyone on his list. Had to wait another two hours. Paid extra for a 6-passenger boat. Got put on a 23-person boat; other choice was to wait another two hours. Guide was not very interested or informative. A repeat experience for us.

7  Thank Sumotoad
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I am so glad that we did this tour.
If you go when it is busy, pay to upgrade to a smaller boat. About 90.00 each. This price includes door to door pick up at your hotel, and we were in the quarter and this bayou was not close to the quarter. So add that value into the price and it seems less expensive. Our guide was awesome. He had a thick Cajun accent, was from the bayou, & I could have listened to that accent & what he had to say, all day.
I learned so much about life on the bayou, it was amazing scenery, and we saw some gators and beautiful birds. Great photo opportunities. I wish I could attach the good photos, but alas, you must deal with my phone photos. The guide brought along a baby alligator that we were able to hold.
Katrina forever changed the bayou but our guide painted us a brilliant picture of what it once was. Amazing. I am from the mountains and really enjoyed seeing such a different way of life, scenergy, and animals.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We did a small airboat tour on Sunday, December 23rd. Were picked up at our hotel exactly on time - nice driver, super clean bus. Arrived a little early - time to use restrooms and see the alligators inside the building (including two albinos). They have some snacks and drinks in the little gift shop area. Our tour guide was Richie and he was great - it was cold and overcast so the only gators we saw on our tour were the little 7 month old baby he had with him (oh how cute) and one who was hissing at us because he was trying to hibernate and we were bothering him. Richie showed us owls, herons, ducks and even pulled a HUGE catfish out of the water for us to see. Explained about gator habits and gator farming. Showed us an old plantation ruin and Indian burial mound. I booked by phone - easy and they didn't ask for a credit card number up front. Company provided ear protection (boats are loud) and seats were comfortable. NOTE: Would not suggest a grande coffee and a full liter bottle of water before getting on a two hour boat ride - just ask my teen daughter!

See more reviews
Reviewed December 31, 2012

If you want to see a swamp, up close and personal, and take a fantastic ride on an airboat, this is one of the very best adventures you'll have. We signed up for this in New Orleans and drove to the location, about 30 minutes away. Even though it was overcast and cold, the trip was well worth our time and money. The guide was the absolute best - did not catch his name, but the boat # was 14. He just made that trip for us - very knowledgeable about the swamps and the wildlife there. Would highly recommend this to anybody interested in wildlife, and you're looking for something different to do. Would do this again if we go back to New Orleans - in fact, I'd repeat this every year!