“Better Options in Area” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 49 Hotels in Lafayette
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
“Better Options in Area”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2010

As a Hilton Honors Diamond Member (I stay approx. 80 nights a yr in Hiltons) I was greatly disappointed in the Lafayette Hampton Inn. I am so surprised at the unusual low quality of this Hilton property, and more so with the above average/excellent comments left by other TripAdivsor members. When making my online reservation using my already built account info (requesting a room on a higher floor away from the elevator and vending) this property reserved me a room next to the elevator and vending. With only a few cars in the parking lot the three nights I stayed I’m led to think there were other room options available. This is the first time this has happened with a Hilton property this year. Lafayette was the 14th location I’ve visited this year alone. My room was extremely outdated. I see a gentleman reviewed this location in 2003 and had the same comment. It would seem to me the tv and furniture are 8-10 yrs old and show a great deal of wear. After flying in from MN I was ready to hit the bed. I was welcomed with a nice black strained of hair on my pillow. The wallpaper in the bathroom is peeling from the wall. The toilet has yellow stains. The exhaust vent in the bathroom is rusted and almost clogged with dust and dirt. The room walls themselves are dirty and scuffed up. The heat/ac box cover came off when I lifted it to adjust the temp. It remained on top the heating/ac unit during my stay. The one computer with printer for guest use had no internet capabilities. Not only was I in need of it to print out some items, but three ladies sitting nearby also informed me the situation was brought to the attention of the hotel clerk on duty and nothing was done. I originally booked my stay for seven days. Needless to say I checked out after three evenings. The value you receive is nowhere near the price. A couple positives – breakfast is out at 6am as promised. I drink tea and had to ask twice for caffeinated tea. The hotel has six decaffeinated options for guests out on the table. The location is right off the interstate and easy to get to which is great when you’re returning from a 12-13 hr workday. The only dining options nearby are fast food. Will I continue to stay at Hampton Inn properties? Sure – I’m staying in one again this evening. Mental note…there are other hotel options in the vicinity of this Hampton to stay at next time.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Journyer99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Tallahassee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2010

Needed a nice hotel convenient to I-10. The Hampton is within spitting distance of I-10 exit 100. The lobby is attractive, the staff pleasant and efficient, and the rooms immaculate and comfortable. There was a sign in the lobby "Free food and drink 5-7pm Mon-Thurs." Expected breakfast but dinner was a surprise: barbecued ribs, salad and dessert plus red or white wine. Highly recommend the Hampton Inn (not to be confused with Hampton Inn and Suites which is close by).

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2010

From check in to check out, all employees were great & made sure our stay was excellent. We had a handicap room which was comfortable & exceeded our expectation. Every employee we encountered asked if there was anything we needed. The room was spacious, clean & had all we needed. We recomend this hotel & if we travel back to Lafayette would certainly stay at this Hampton Inn again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

senior management of this hotel contacted me via email BEFORE the following review posted (i deleted the original review to be able add this edit) and assured me in no uncertain terms that the problem would be rectified. i am VERY impressed with their proactive approach--i didn't contact them, they contacted me--and believe the experience i had won't be repeated by anyone. hopefully the management's response is more in line with what travelers can expect when they stay here.

i've also adjusted my 'rooms' 'sleep quality' and 'cleanliness' ratings to reflect what i suspect is a typical hampton experience--the benefit of the doubt seems to be called for. i have not edited what follows, it's my post immediately after i checked in to another hampton....but was so impressed with management that this preamble seemed in order. based on management's response, i would recommend this hotel to a friend.
---------------------------
i can't say we actually stayed here, as we didn't. but we tried. i had a reservation and we checked in. i'm a diamond with hilton (and a platinum with spg and priority club) and have never had this kind of experience before--i left the hotel due to the front desk staff's indifference/incompetence/cluelessness.

when we arrived, there was no-one at the desk. after helloing several times the employee shuffled out, and seemed affronted...as if i'd interrupted her dinner. she was so unpleasant during our transaction i actually asked her if i had. her response 'no, you didn't interrupt me.'

it doesn't look bad when written, but you'll have to take my word for it...she seemed as though she'd rather be anywhere but at the desk and dealing with us. she checked us in, i asked about our diamond upgrade. 'all our rooms are the same.' um, okay. (this is a lie, btw, as this hotel has suites....BAD customer service, and STRIKE ONE).

the first room she offered was on the first floor. my hilton profile reads 'high floor, away from elevator.' STEERIKE TWO!

i asked for a higher floor. she explained that the only rooms available on three were 'close to smoking,' but said she had a room on two. fine. in the elevator, hubby and i marveled at her attitude. we arrived at the room to find it was...next to the elevator. back downstairs. STRIKE THREE, YOU'RE OUT.

i told the girl we'd be checking out, that she seemed as if we were interrupting her and that we'd be happier at another hotel. her response was, again, that we hadn't interrupted her and that her job was to serve us. i wish i could share the delivery of this line here, as it was not dislike a soviet postal clerk (and i don't want to insult any soviet postal clerks who may be reading this). really, it was impressive. anyway, we drove about a half hour further and found a lovely hampton inn in jennings with a sparkling, pleasant human (yay, ruben!) behind the counter. see my review of that hotel for more.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Southern States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2009

Convinient to I-10, but not much around this location. Friendly staff and always fresh cookies! The rooms can use some sprucing up however. Spring mattresses past prime, but clean. The shower has a hand rail, but the skid grips have worn off floor, making this a dangerous experience for someone not steady on their feet. Breakfast was okay, staff went out of way to please. Will stay here again, just not up to the "hampton" standard, but well worth the price is under $100. Business center is located in breakfast room! No privacy.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2008

Just a quick, one night stay, but the experience was perfect. Entire hotel staff was outstanding. Rooms were clean. Beds were comfortable. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful. Would definitely stay here again. Thanks to all :)

• Liked — Courteous staff and clean rooms
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2008

Drove up and the whole hotel was being painted, BEAUTIFUL JOB!!! Looks like a new hotel and I know the hotel must be several years old. The lobby is pleasant with a gorgeous rug, feel like i am in someones home.

Great stay and a pleasant STAFF!!!

• Liked — Fellt Fresh and Clean
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business