“A Restaurant to Avoid”

Copeland's of New Orleans
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I visited with 3 friends for a Sunday brunch, July 28, 2013. In my entire lifetime, this was one of the worst dining experiences. First, when the staffperson took drink orders, no menus were provided. (We found these on our own.) Second, after ice teas were distributed, the staffperson came back 10 minutes later to say that coffee for the 4th guest would not be ready for 3 1/2 minutes. (At a brunch on Sunday morning!) Third, we waited 55 minutes to receive our food (uncomplicated omelets). Fifth, when the food was finally brought, the staffperson indicated that they had run out of hash browns (on a Sunday brunch?). This should have been disclosed at the time of order, or did they not know? Sixth, the omelets were tough on the outside (needing a knife to cut) and lukewarm rather than hot. And, seventh, to add insult to injury, the prices listed on the ticket were substantially higher than listed on the menu. (Oh, we changed the prices but the old menus were still out there.) It is clear that the restaurant's management is incompetent as of today's date of dining. At this point, avoid dining at Copeland's in Lafayette, Louisiana.

1  Thank Geoff S

Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

I had seen good reviews for Copeland's. The staff were courteous and respectful, but the food was very disappointing. I was expecting tasteful seasoned food but got , bland food that tasted like it was prepared straight from the freezer.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

The food was the worst I have eaten in Lafayette. The waiter
was uncaring. This was a bad experience. WE will not be back.
The money spent was wasted! I ask for crackers to go with the
poor excuse of gumbo and was given 1 cracker bag with 2 crackers! I actually felt sick after leaving this restaurant. I order a steak and bacon meal . The bacon was burnt and the steak was uncooked. I order medium well. My wife wanted a side salad and told sorry we only sell this type of salad which was additional 5.29. The mashed sweet potato side that came on my plate was not good at all.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

This is a very hard review, not to write, but to rate. Why? Because Copeland’s is much better than many of the restaurants on Trip Advisor that are rated higher, but in my honest opinion I can’t give Copeland’s a rating of 5. This is one more reason I wish TA would go to a 1-10 system. On a scale of 1-10 I would have rated today's meal a 9.

Last night we ate at Imonelli which is one of Louisiana’s finest restaurants. That meal truly placed this meal into the proper perspective. It would be easy to say that the food for all 7 people in our party came out hot, and that our server was good, and then give Copeland’s a 5 out of 5. The truth is that the food is very good, but not at the level of the best restaurants in Lafayette, and our server had a little bit of an attitude. While she did her job she made me feel like she was doing me a favor. Last night I left a 23% tip on a $90 bill. Today I left an 18% on a $46 bill. I guess that tells you the difference in the service.

The food at Copeland’s is made to serve a large number of people good food. Copeland’s is a nice place to eat out with family. You will never get a really bad meal here. We have eaten at Copeland’s at least 50 times over the years. I still cringe when we pass the old Copeland’s building just up the street from the current location. For some reason I loved that location and the current location will always be compared to the original in Lafayette. The biggest deal is that going to Copeland’s is eating out, it’s not a FINE DINING EXPERIENCE.

One last comment about Copeland’s food. The dessert at Copeland’s comes at a ridiculous price. I just don’t get it. The desserts are good, but nowhere near the price asked. Our party picks up and moves to a different location for dessert where we spend the same amount of money and get something truly special. Another option is going to someone’s house for a cake made by one of the fabulous bakeries in Lafayette. This is much like going to a symphony concert and leaving before the encore so you can beat the traffic. It just does not make sense. Due to the fact that a few pieces of cheese cake can run you $28 the finals notes of our meal are no longer celebrated at Copeland’s.

Once again, I must insist on the fact that in my opinion Copland’s is in the top 15 restaurants in this city. Rating them 2 stars on Yelp, 83% thumbs up on Urban Spoon, or in the 70’s on Trip Advisor, is just silly in my opinion. Ask the locals what the top 25 restaurants are in Lafayette and I bet 95+% of the people include Copeland’s. If you reserve the rating of 5 for only the crème de la crème then Copeland’s rates a 4 on Trip Advisor, but don’t be fooled, it should be in the top 25 restaurants in Lafayette.

Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

I Love Louisiana food, enjoyed the fried shrimp, portion was pretty good... When it came to the crab claws the guy in the kithen must love salt... This was way way to salty, would not eat crab claws again.