“Blue Dog makes Us Happy”
Review of Blue Dog Cafe

Blue Dog Cafe
Ranked #11 of 585 Restaurants in Lafayette
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Description: Traditional & fusion Cajun cuisine, as well as seafood, steaks, bisque & salads. All food is prepped from scratch.
Reviewed August 29, 2010

Stumbled upon this restaurant while staying overnight in Lafayette. If you like art and great food, this is the place to visit. The restaurant features the Blue Dog art of George Rodrigue. The food is as good as the art.

We had the Seafood Won-tons and Crab Cakes as appetizers. The won-tons were crispy and stuffed with fresh seafood and cheeses. The Crab Cakes were golden brown, moist, and awesome.

For dinner, I had the Crawfish Enchiladas. The arrived on a small plate dripping with cheese. Stuffed full of crawfish, onions and peppers, and topped with cumin mornay sauce. These guys were HOT. I love spicy food, and I almost couldn't finish them, but I struggled on thru. The corn maque choux served as a side was like a creamed corn, but with more flavor.

Had desert at the bar while listening to live music.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,211)

Reviewed August 29, 2010

After seeing the amazing reviews here on TripAdvisor and hearing glowing testimonials from business colleagues, I chose this as one of my two dinner locations during a recent stay in Lafayette (I have reviewed Prejean's as well).

First off, the place doesn't look like much from street along Pinhook. But the location is close by the Oil Center as well as the Medical Center and the university. All of the decor emphasis was placed inside where it is both fun & elegant. The work of noted artist George Rodrigue that inspired the name of the place lines the walls. The service was both attentive and relatively quick considering the fact the food is prepared after you order it.,

I ordered the Seafood Wontons that are ballyhooed atop the appetizer options ont he menu. They were adequate but I suffered some remorse that I didn't go with my first instinct to go with the Sherwood Forest Brie Bisque. It seemed everyone around me had ordered it and spent the next 15 minutes purring with delight at each bite. I will not make the same mistake in the future. This is not to denigrate the wontons but they didn't exactly live up to the great expectations placed on them.

For my entree I also passed on my first instincts of their famous crawfish enchiladas. Since I live in a TexMex mecca, I was instead wanting to focus on something truly indicative of Acadiana. So I order the Half & Half. That is referencing a half order of crawfish etouffee and a half order of fried crawfish served up with local favorite corn maque choux. Let me start by saying that may have been the best etouffee I've ever tasted. It was creamy and vibrantly flavorful. I polished it off before I even dreamed of taking a bite of the fried crawfish. Once I did, the house cocktail sauce added just the right spice to the crunchy crawfish to create a perfect contrast to the etouffee. I'm not a huge fan of corn maque choux but it was solid as well.

The most pleasant surprise of the meal were the piping hot pistolettes with a creamy whipped butter with honey and perhaps a touch of cinnamon mixed in. I could have eaten just the bread and walked away a happy man. But the entire dining experience was worthy of the lofty reputation in what is arguably the Cajun food capital of the world.

Reviewed August 11, 2010

We dine here at least 3 times per year and have never had a bad meal. My favorite semi-low fat dish is the grill tilapia. The ceasar salad is amazing and they serve a very decadent corn and seafood bisque. The martini's are bad either. You can choose to dine in the large bar area where there is usually a 2 or 3 piece band or in one of the dining rooms. This is a restaurant where you will feel comfortable in shorts or dress clothes. We've never been here for their famous Sunday Brunch, but we have seen the line of people waiting to get in on Sunday mornings before they open the doors.

Reviewed June 23, 2010

Did I mention how great the food is? I have traveled all over the country and I have never had food this good before! The waitress Lacie was great, the atmosphere was great, the prices were great and most of all the food was Terriffic!!!!

Reviewed June 19, 2010

It was good, we enjoyed it, as ever far too much food!