“Pretty good food - service not so much (Bertrand Dr.)”
Review of Cafe Habana City

Cafe Habana City
Ranked #93 of 568 Restaurants in Lafayette
Atllanta, GA
“Pretty good food - service not so much (Bertrand Dr.)”
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Visiting my family for Christmas, we stopped here after getting off the plane. It was around 2pm so no lunch crowd - no one at all. The ropa viejas was pretty good as were the plantain chips but I had to basically go find the waitress to get the bill. After she dropped off our food, I never saw her again. She was on her cell - and continued talking on it while I settled my bill. Not a great impression.

• Visited December 2011

Lafayette, Louisiana
“I will definitely be going back.”
Reviewed January 10, 2012

My wife and I ate there for the first time tonight. We do not eat out much, but when we do, we expect great food and outstanding service. Put it this way, we will be eating there again very soon. Both expectations were met. We are very harsh critics of Latin and Mexican food, and this ranks up there with some of the best we have eaten. However, the mixed vegetables were bland and tasted like they came out of a bag. The owner explained to us in detail how they make their salsa verde, which was very good, spicy salsa. The complimentary soup is a plus too. The atmosphere is casual and relaxed, and the mojitos are great. I had the talapia limon and she had shredded beef. Both excellent. $1.95 for iced tea, otherwise prices are good for the amount of food you get. Everything is seasoned perfectly- spicy but not salty. I recommend this restaurant, especially if you are hungry and on a budget. Our bill was under $40 with tuna patti appetizers.

Lafayette, Louisiana
“Placed on Alert”
Reviewed January 7, 2012

If you want Cuban food, Cuba is the place. If you can't get there, Miami offers some good alternatives. Lafayette? Nothing even close, but this restaurant has been at least acceptable for several years. A recent visit puts that assessment at risk.

The tamales cubanos were mostly a big glob of dough. Meat pies came with a plastic container of melted Velveeta. Both were cold.

A large bowl of frijoles negros simmered with onions was good, as were the maduritos. Tres Leches cake was reliably sweet and soaked, but I prefer it without the Hershey's chocolate syrup dribbled on it. (Actually, my real preference is flan, but that isn't so great here, either.)

I'm leaving Habana City with its three stars for now, but only because of its past performance. Fair notice: rating at risk.

• Visited January 2012
New Iberia, Louisiana
“Deliciously different”
Reviewed July 15, 2011

If you like REAL cuban food, this is the place to go! It is a casual dining atmosphere. A complimentary cup of vegetable noodle soup is a delicious way to start your meal. We always get croquetas and mariposas as appetizers. My favorite dish is the tilapia limon (grilled fish) with moros (a rice cooked with black beans) and a side of maduritos (plaintains). It is a typical Cuban meal. Share a flan for dessert and a cup of cuban (espresso) coffee. The sandwiches are also delicious.

• Visited July 2011
Gonzales, LA
“One of the best meals in my life!”
Reviewed June 28, 2008

My wife and I are very frugal and picky with our dining choices. We are avid cooks and extremely critical of the value for our dollar. I had the Habana Mix Plate (shredded beef w/yucca, fried plantains, black beans and rice, and a Cuban tamale). My wife had the Picadillo Cubano w/fried yucca and yellow rice w/vegetables. Words cannot describe how delicious it was. Every bite was exciting, and my wife and I shared all of the dishes. It made me regret only having one stomach. If you like Mexican cooking, you will probably love Cuban cuisine. This stuff was the real deal! We are already planning a return trip. Another table had ordered Cuban sandwiches and they looked amazing. If you are in Lafayette and don't feel like eating Italian (Alesi's has the best pizza on the face of this planet), do yourself a favor and eat at Cafe Habana City!

1 Thank BGuidry