“Lovely Lunch”
Review of DON'S Seafood

DON'S Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
DON'S Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 576 Restaurants in Lafayette
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: DON'S SEAFOOD More Than Eighty Years of Exceptional Seafood South Louisiana locals and visitors have been drawn to DON'S authentic Cajun cuisine for more than 80 years. Menu selections including traditional Landry family recipes, and more recent original creations like Zydeco Shrimp, are well worth repeat visits. Many stop in daily for oysters on the half shell or boiled crawfish in season. DON'S bartenders serve Signature Old Fashioned cocktails alongside the newest specialty drinks, many made with Louisiana products. DON'S SEAFOOD began in 1934, when Don Landry opened his first restaurant and bar in downtown Lafayette with $400 borrowed from his uncle. Prohibition had just been lifted and at only 24 years old, he envisioned serving drinks and offering a simple menu featuring fresh local seafood. Four generations later, the Landry family has expanded that humble beginning into what would eventually become the DON'S SEAFOOD of today. Continuing the tradition, the Landry family still owns and operates each location. An extensive menu of original South Louisiana Cajun family recipes, the freshest Gulf seafood and sizzling steaks is offered. Each location boasts a unique Acadiana-inspired décor, all have a full-service bar and grill, perfect for casual diners or sports enthusiasts. Every DON'S SEAFOOD grill features an open charbroiler where diners can watch exclusive dishes being prepared like DON'S Original Jacked Up Oysters loaded with bacon, jalapenos and pepper jack cheese. Whether you're just passing through South Louisiana or live right around the corner, you'll find a DON'S SEAFOOD location near you in Lafayette, Denham Springs, Gonzales, Hammond, Covington and Metairie.
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stopped here to watch the US Soccer match last week on our way home from Biloxi to Austin. We had a great little table facing the tv and very attentive service. We enjoyed a delicious lunch of seafood gumbo and seafood salad. The seafood was fresh and tasty and great ice teas as well. We were glad we stopped here.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Most important; seafood was exceptional and drinks were stiff. Gumbo, oysters and shrimp all good quality and prepared with Cajun authenticity.
Restaurant interior casual and had friendly atmosphere. Servers were very pleasant.
Lots of free parking available.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

sometimes when you have been successful for such a long time you might get complacent; increase profit by using less quality, or just not treating customers as special. This is what we experienced this last Father's day. Don's is know for their seafood but you would think with this type of restaurant they would have a good steak, or at least tell their customers that it isn't good. My wife ordered a ribye which was overcooked, and the quality made us wonder if it wasn't a cheaper cut of meat altogether. it had no flavor, was over cooked and plain ugly looking. My fried seafood was mostly good but the shrimp was over cooked and the shrimp gravy had more salt than seafood. Just really disappointed. Maybe the downtown Don's was better.

DonsS7, Manager at DON'S Seafood, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Mr. Newton,
We sincerely apologize that you did not enjoy your meal when dining with us. Since 1934, Don’s Seafood has been dedicated to offering the best dining experience and fine Cajun food. It is very important to us that every visit to Don's is wonderful.
We would appreciate having an opportunity to speak with you about your visit. Please provide any contact information and the best time to reach you at your earliest convenience.

Don's Seafood

Reviewed June 16, 2014

It had been years since I had eaten at Don's Seafood in Baton Rouge so finding one in Lafayette was great. My friend and I wandered in after a morning of walking the Avery Island area. We were not there at a rushed time. Service was excellent and attentive without being too much. My food was excellent as was my friend's. We enjoyed a shared appetizer that was delicious (fried shrimp with pepper jelly sauce?). My crawfish dinner was incredible... and WAY too much for one person to eat! I had several bites of each of the 5 or 6 preparations. Each was excellent. Everything tasted fresh. I would certainly return should I find myself in Lafayette again.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

After my visit with Don’s I will never look at Cajun food in Houston the same way. Everything that we ordered was scrumptious and tasted divine. The service could have been a little faster but with a large party I didn’t mind it too much. One piece of advice to all; this place gets busy fast and making reservations would be an excellent idea. We waited at the bar and were served up some jacked up oysters that were received well all around. After being seated we ordered some hushpuppies and some fried pickle chips. The pickle chips were great. The hushpuppies, despite being a little doughy made up in a hint of sweetness embedded within. For the main course I had shrimp etouffee. The roux was just the right consistency, and the hints of Cajun spices and meaty shrimp completed a magical evening.

My trip to the legendary Don’s was fantastic and I will be looking forward to any excuse to come back here.