“Really Good Buffet - Lots of Options - Very Causual”

Lagneaux's Restaurant
Ranked #74 of 573 Restaurants in Lafayette
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I type this review while still feeling the effects of the overindulgence i allowed myself to partake in at Lagneaux's. i am a bit stuffed and did not eat a large portion of any one thing.

The buffet os very large and the options include several real authentic Cajun dishes such as boulettes (shrimp and crab), etoufee, courtboullion, frog legs, boudin, as well better-known items like boiled shrimp, crabs, jambalaya, gumbo, hush puppies, and more.

I found the food to be well prepared, our server to be firendly and helpful, adn the price tag of around $20 to be fair.

Not a fancy place by any means but not run-down either.

Just good food in a casual atmosphere, at a fair price.

2  Thank JJtraveler65

Reviewed April 7, 2012

A co-worker and I were attending a nearby training center. We asked a couple of the locals where to find some good resturants. They unnonomisly recco mended Lagneaux's!! It's a huge seafood buffet with a few sausages and chicken dishes thrown in. You name the popular Cajun dish and it was there. We went on a Monday during crawdaddy season and they were included in the all u can eat! We arrived early just before 5 pm and there was about 30 people waiting for the doors to open! The food on the buffet was fresh and they kept it fresh. I will come back!!

1  Thank Firefozz
Reviewed March 27, 2012

The signs are clear - an unpretentious, low-slung building surrounded by cars (and lots of pickups) at 6:00 PM on a Saturday (feeding time for the locals, we assume because by 7:30 the lines and crowds were largely gone). Lagneaux's is not a gourmet experience - diners are herded through a steam buffet line one plate at a time, but the line moved fast and items were constantly replaced.

The large (and not so large) folks near us ate mountains of boiled crayfish...scooped unceremoniously in stainless-steel bowls. Boiled crabs, boiled shrimp, and fried seafood of all kinds abounded. There were several things on the table I didn't recognize, but apparently other people did.

After five days of $20 poboys and $50 + meals in New Orleans, the $21.95 buffet seemed like a real bargain. We skipped the wine list (see photo) in favor of tasty iced tea, readily replaced by our friendly waitress.

Now as for the food - the frog's legs alone were worth the price of admission. The catfish was the best I've had in ages - crisp, light, and perfectly done. As far as the rest of the buffet - well, I can see how people would differ in their opinions. I am sure the gumbo would have benefited from being served in a proper bowl, rather than the small melamine containers. The vegetables - aside from the onion rings and corn on the cob - were eminently forgettable. I searched in vain for the previously reviewed alligator and soft shell crab... which would have made my night had they been available.

I'm sure we looked like dainty eaters compared to those around us, but we had a good time, and I'm glad we stopped. But know what you're getting yourself into! Anything more than Jeans and a tea shirt and you'll be stared at! Lagneaux's reminded me of the restaurant in "My Cousin Vinny," and I like that movie a lot...

1  Thank ROBRTW
Reviewed February 13, 2012

The advertisement in the back of the travel magazine was quite enticing. We found the restaurant and waited in line for the buffett. We figured since so many people were there, that it HAD to be awesome. Not so. For 20 dollars a person,three adults and one 6 year old child , we would have been better off going to a Chinese Buffett somewhere. With a catchphrase like " KIng of Seafood" and seafood buffett, you would think you would be overwhelmed by the choice of dishes. Nothing was great. One steam table was all there was. We left disgusted, 85 dollars poorer, hungry, and stopped by Racetrac on the way back to the motel to get a sandwich and chips.

Reviewed February 5, 2012

Casual family dining. Good food, reasonable prices. The seafood buffet is excellent.