Buchanan Lofts
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Juliet Hotel(Lafayette)
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Just needed a night away from home and the holiday chaos, and we instead found a little piece of heaven in our own back yard. Rooms were clean, stocked, and beyond what I hoped for. I have to say for not having onsite employees, it was easy to get ahold of Jen and I think Maggie , they were there preparing some other rooms. They were friendly and very eager to help us get some extra towels. Thanks for having such a wonderful quaint little get away so close to home, but it felt like a big city apt.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 26, 2013

“Room so filthy, had to find another hotel and…we were still charged for 1 night for the privilege!!”

To set the stage, we travel a lot for business and pleasure. We stay in both expensive hotels and value chains (like La Quinta, Holiday Inn Express, Drury Inn, etc.). We’re not difficult as all we expect is a clean and comfortable room. We rarely write reviews, but due our very negative experience at Buchanan Lofts, we felt compelled to write one. Also, we are originally from the Lafayette, LA area and love the downtown area. We were so happy to see good reviews for these lofts as they are right off Jefferson Street downtown. We planned extra time in Lafayette over the Christmas Holidays to enjoy the downtown area with this to be our base. Unfortunately, in our 25 years of traveling, we had to do something we have never had to do before: We had to vacate the room shortly after check-in because our room was filthy. We have never been more disappointed.

My wife and I checked in and we were taken to our loft. The room was modern and looked fantastic. Shortly after we were in the room, my wife noticed food crumbs scattered on the stove. She found paper towels under the sink, and with a dry paper towel, wiped the surface of the stove and her towel came up black with a dirty/greasy residue. We’re thinking…”no big deal” as maybe someone forgot to clean the stovetop this morning. She dampened the paper towel, and quickly cleaned the stove top. There were some food crumbs on the countertop adjacent to the stove, so she wiped them off the crumbs and her paper towel was filthy again. She begin wiping the countertops and quickly noticed that countertops were ABSOLUTELY FILTHY! Now all of a sudden, we’re thinking “what else hasn’t been cleaned in here?” That’s when we began looking around and we noticed dried up coca cola on the desk (it was just very thick syrup left so it must have been there for days. The window sill was thick with dust (hadn’t been wiped in many days). We went to the bathroom counter and wiped the counter and got the same result. The shampoo, conditioner and soap were in a clear glass plate. The plate was so smudged that the shampoo and soap stuck to the bottom of the plate. The area rug where the sofa was sitting had not been vacuumed (crumbs and hair on a dark brown rug so easy to see). My wife took a clean paper towel and did quick wipe on the leatherette sofa and YUCK…it was absolutely filthy! Dirty enough to know that this this furniture had not been wiped in months. The floor was filthy and tacky as well (like it had been dust mopped over and over again, but hadn’t seen a wet mop in a long time). We called the Assistant Manager (Jennifer) to come to the room. We showed her the stack of paper towels on the counter that were black and told her this room was not clean. We recognized that for this room to become even reasonably clean would take a couple of hours of some elbow grease. She apologized over and over again but there were no other rooms available. Jennifer acknowledged that this room was NOT clean and went on to admit there were “some problems’ with the cleaning crew. Some problems? Jeez…this crew was doing NOTHING to clean for quite some time. We told her that we had prepaid to guarantee our stay there and even if we had to pay for the first night, we would have to find another accommodation. Jennifer said “you owe us absolutely nothing, and we sincerely apologize…” She proceeded to refund the entire amount immediately to my card and we promptly received an email showing full refund.

Hours later, we received a message from Jennifer saying that her boss (Leah “THE Manager”) said she was going to charge me for one night which was $170 plus tax (over $190.00 with tax). So let me get this straight…we are being charged $190.00 for a room that was acknowledged for being 'dirty" by her assistant manager? After playing phone tag with Leah to discuss and finally leaving a voicemail message that we never got a response now for >3 days, we felt compelled to warn other fellow travelers of the problems at Buchanan. Based on our experience, be prepared to pay a premium for a filthy room. However, look at the upside - you are near downtown! I love to support home grown businesses and was really hoping for so much more. Unfortunately the entire experience could not be more disappointing.

It should be noted that we had no intentions of leaving any review (much less a negative review) when we originally left the Buchanan Lofts with our bags in our hands disappointed. We thought – “oh well – they made a mistake.” However, now that we are being charged for a room that we couldn't stay that was acknowledged by the assistant manager for being ‘not clean’ we felt it was very important to warn fellow travelers who are considering to stay there.

NOTE: Be prepared to lug your bags up 2 long flights of narrow stairs to your room. There is no elevator.

The only saving grace from all of this, we checked into the Homewood Suites- Airport (on Kaliste Saloom near Pinhook), and the room was very large, very clean and was an outstanding experience for a savings of more than $60.00 per night!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MKDDR
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I have stayed in some unique places around the world and I was caught completely by surprised by the Buchanan Lofts. This is an amazing gem in a place that I would never have expected and the 'bag for your buck' was off the chart!

I know that when I'm back in Lafayette, there is only one place that I'll stay and this is it. You have got to check this place out for yourselves.

Room Tip: There are NO bad rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We stayed in loft 3 for 3nights having come in on the Amtrak sunset limited train from Houston and left the same way on to New Orleans. These retro- chic lofts were as described and in the photos . It was an easy to walk to and from the Amtrak - although Leah , the innkeeper - super helpful and friendly - gave us a lift there when we left. The lofts are in a excellent location downtown so easy walk to bars, restaurants , music venues , art gallery , the cathedral . The loft was very comfortable , clean and very well presented. We would recommend these to anyone and bet they get booked up very fast for the music festivals.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

This place was great! Very spacious, full kitchen, great privacy with two bedrooms. Parking was included and convenient. The street that runs behind it has bars and restaurants and your can easily walk to the St John cathedral. Vermillionville is only a 5 minute drive away. Also has free wifi and a nice little coffee shop next door. Beds seemed new and were very comfortable. If I ever return to Lafayette I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else : )

Stayed: November 2013