“So disappointing”

Dining options: Reservations
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“So disappointing”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Temporarily living in LA for a few months, we tried dinner at Bailey's on a cold rainy Saturday night. The dining room was chilly, there was almost no decor, and only 5-6 tables were occupied. Figured out why pretty quickly. Food ranged from good to awful, service was OK, but the atmosphere was just... gloomy. No one in the restaurant seemed happy to be there, waitstaff especially.

As for the food, the crab cakes were good, though very different (could be better described as crab cream cakes?), the "garlic mashed potatoes" were awful - more like a lukewarm garlic potato salad. The beef was highly overpriced, despite the gimmicky cards on the table advertising "100% USDA-certified" - note: NOT "Prime", "Choice" or even "Select" - "all-vegetarian" beef (always cracks me up). I ordered my beef med-rare, came out all but raw and the "port wine demi-glace" was basically an extremely salty brown gravy. My husband's tandoori rack of lamb was good, but the sauce was again extremely salty (saying a lot coming from a salt fiend) and his broccoli was cold. Similar inconsistencies on other plates - some food hot, some cold - good meat, bad sauce and vice versa - made for an all-around disappointing meal. We won't be going back.

For the price, there are much better options in town. Check out Charley G's or Cafe Vermillionville. Both have better atmosphere and excellent food, at least the few times we've been so far.

• Visited January 2013

Lafayette, Louisiana
“A big disappointment”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I went with my husband to eat dinner at Bailey's with high expectations. I had eaten here previously, but not for about 9 months. We ordered a ribeye steak that was very fatty. The shredded vegetable side was cold and the mashed ptoatoes gluey and tasteless. I had to ask for bread which arrived at the end of the meal. Our waiter, Zadid, was very personable - but even he could not make up for the dismal quality of the meal. So sad, as I do not think I will be going back.

• Visited March 2012