“Luv me some Olde Tyme po'boy!”
Review of Olde Tyme Grocery

Olde Tyme Grocery
Ranked #2 of 585 Restaurants in Lafayette
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed February 11, 2013

From back in the dark ages (the 70's)to now, this is the place I go to for the best po'boy (shrimp or crawfish). They are amazing! The staff have the patience of saints, the cooks have lightening fast hands and the atmosphere is comfortable. It may not be the most elegant of places but this is paradise for me. I highly recommend the crawfish po'boy when available. Now I'm hungry...

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Olde Type Grocery is not a grocery. You can pick up a quick coke or chips there. But it's a restaurant. Walking distance to UL. Best po boy sandwiches in Lafayette. Great staff. Pleasant location.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

This last visit was our 3rd or 4th to this restaurant. But this time it just didn't seem quite as good as the others. It's still cash or check only, and the process is a bit disorganized. But the seafood po-boy ( the combo shrimp/oyster) was still good. It seemed a bit skimpier than the other times, but perhaps it is just our memory. This is still a good place to go for a good sandwich.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

For readers not familiar with a Louisiana Poor Boy Sandwich, the Wikipedia definition is:

“A po' boy (also po-boy, po boy, or poor boy) is a traditional submarine sandwich from Louisiana. It almost always consists of meat, usually roast beef, or fried seafood. The meat is served on baguette-like New Orleans French bread, known for its crisp crust and fluffy center.”

We visited our Louisiana family this weekend. When asked for a lunch recommendation, they said Olde Tyme had the best poor boy in Lafayette. Thus, we had lunch there today and agree with their opinion.

I had the oyster poor boy today for lunch and it was great. The bread was crusty (in a good way), the oysters were juicy, and the sandwich’s interior was coated with some sort of tasty sauce/shredded vegetable mixture.

My wife had the meatball poor boy and my daughter had the barbeque beef poor boy – they both said it was very good.

Extra info -- While searching for a bottled beverage in their cooler, we accidently discovered a native Louisiana Root Beer called “Abita” sweetened with local cane sugar instead of corn syrup. This was an excellent beverage to accompany our delicious poor boy sandwiches. And avoid the french fries (they are frozen steak-cut style fries and are not very good).

1  Thank punchcard
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I was so pleased with the food and atmosphere at Olde Tyme Grocery!

The selection wasn't huge, but everything on the list sounded wonderful. I had the special, a blacked catfish po-boy, and it was fantastic. The quantity and the quality of the food were both outstanding, and the price was very fair.

If you're in the area.... be sure to stop in and have lunch.

The only CON... be prepared to stand in line. This place is a favorite of the locals!