When our family travels we always look for accommodations that offer an alternative to standard chain motels, and T'Frere's didn't disappoint in that regard. The house, like many in Louisiana, is brimming with antiques. The Victorian ambience was a bit much for my husband's simpler tastes, but our 11-year-old daughter and I found it charming.
The three of us stayed here in the lovely Mary Room -- it had a beautiful wood antique canopy bed, plus a smaller single bed for our daughter - just right. However -- and this was unfortunately a big drawback: our room was at the very front of the house, and the traffic on the busy road directly in front of the B&B kept me awake well into the night, and woke me up in the morning. You would never know from the website or brochures that T'Frere's sits on the corner of a bustling intersection. We were quite surprised when we drove up, as we expected it would be out in the country, or at least on a quiet road. But once you're inside, you don't notice it -- unless you are trying to sleep in one of the front bedrooms.
The advantage is that the B&B is centrally located in Lafayette, and if you can overlook the noise element, you will be rewarded with a delicious breakfast and amiable hospitality. Maugie kindly made reservations for us for a swamp tour, and was happy to offer suggestions for our sightseeing. She is vintage Cajun with a lively sense of humor.
We weren't able to arrive till 6:00, so we missed the reception hour from 4--5 with the juleps and canapes. They had some drinks waiting for us in the fridge, though, and had saved a tray of the appetizers (yummy toast rounds with a crab spread) for us to pop in the oven in the kitchen -- a nice touch. But we wished we would have arrived for the special welcome on the screened porch.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Voted Best of the Best in the South by AAA Southern Traveler Magazine 2011. The building itself was built by one of Acadiana's most famous settlers in 1880. It is a beautiful old Acadian home located right in the center of Lafayette, Louisiana. Here you will find true cajun hospitality and Free, Fresh Breakfasts every morning. Your stay includes Complimentary Cocktails and Appetizers upon check in, and complimentary breakfast, beverages and soft drinks during your entire stay. All rooms have private baths, cable television and wireless internet. We hope you visit us soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Hotwire so you can book your T'Frere's Bed & Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- t`Frere`s Hotel Lafayette
- t`Frere`s Bed And Breakfast