“Relaxing break” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chapel Brampton
Littlehampton, United Kingdom
“Relaxing break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

I booked a romantic weekend break using one of the voucher deal companies. B & B with dinner on first night. After booking I then read some of the reviews and was a little concerned. Well I can say we had a wonderful weekend. The hotel looked good, mixing old and new.
The staff were very helpful, doing their best to please and I can honestly say they could not done better. A special mention to our waitress "Hollie Longland" who we consider to be one on of the hotels biggest assets. Besides her profession friendly service and knowledge in the restaurant and menu. She was helpful with taking photos of my partner and myself. She gave us knowledge of things to do, she also did this for the other tables as well - we listen in.
The bedroom are in the modern extension. We had a standard room. The bedroom was very clean tidy. Bed very comfy, all facilities were available and working. Wifi is ok for emails and basic surfing slightly better in bar area. Decor a little tired in bathroom, the white bath enamel had been repaired with cream enamel. The only real complaint was the rooms are not sound proof to the corridor. There was a wedding on our second night and some of the guests were very noisy going back to their rooms including one poor soul who could not wake his partner but woke the rest of the floor. *Recommend when booking in keep bags and cases in car until you know where your room is as the car park is closer to most of the bedrooms than to reception, plus there is a lot of steps between reception and the bedrooms.
Dinner food excellent both in looks and taste. We had 2 courses and a glass of wine. We like wine so much we had a bottle of same on top. We both had the chef's special spicy chicken dish. Just right, my recommendation. Breakfast was good, good choice. Personally I thought the Sausages looked a little underdone both mornings. We had to wait while they brought out more fruit juice glasses, toast, bacon eggs beans as they kept running out.
Bar area very pleasant and drink prices were standard hotel / good restaurant rates, this was also the case for the bottle of wine when we had the meal.
We used the swimming pool and jacuzzi (very bubbly) both lovely and warm. Only 2 other people were using the facilities the whole time we used them so it was pretty much to ourselves. Sauna very hot. The gym was well kitted out, but did not use as it was a relaxing weekend.
The grounds were very nice to walk around. Early evening (and after dinner walk) you can see hundreds of rabbits bouncing around on the edges of the grounds. Imagine a number of wedding photo sessions take place. Our view from the bedroom was the fields and some very large trees that bordered the hotel grounds.

Room Tip: It is all in my review.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank AndyD412
Yiannis C, General Manager at Sedgebrook Hall, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at Sedgebrook Hall, and I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit. I will certainly pass on your comments to my colleagues, in particular Hollie, and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Glossop, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

........I would have been disappointed had I been staying (and paying) for personal reasons.

I stayed here with work for a conference and the facilities for the conference were very good. There was a constant supply of tea, coffee and refreshments. On the downside though, the room in which we were in had not been hoovered and consequently there were several drinking straws and other bits of rubbish strewn all over. When paying so much for a facility, I do except the room to be at least clean.

Lunch was disappointing in that the buffet style concept meant that several of the dishes had run out and they weren't replenished on a prompt basis. I also had to ask for cold plates for salad as all the other plates were hot. It seemed that the staff weren't particularly attentive. In terms of selection and choice of food, this was actually fairly reasonable.

My room (in the modern block) was well furnished and modern. It was actually more than adequate and had everything that someone on business could need, including an iron and ironing board. It was a particularly warm evening and the duvet was a bit too warm despite having the window open.

Dinner in the evening was a slow affair as service was slow. Again, I didn't find the waiting on staff particularly attentive and like at lunch, we had to keep asking for things. The food itself though was very very tasty apart from the chips. In fact whoever makes the chips needs to learn how to do them - at both lunch and dinner, they were so well cooked that they were black and charred. I also had to send my cheese plate back because the blue cheese that I received was actually all rind.... again, not very attentive.

Breakfast was self serve and there was a good selection. I actually couldn't fault the actual taste of the food over the course of the 2 days.

All in all, I would say that the staff need to be a little more conscientious and attentive but the rooms and food (when served) were actually generally very good. It's just a shame that the service aspect of the hotel let everything down. It was fine for a conference but I would have been quite aggrieved at having to pay for a poor level of service had I been paying for myself.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank TandK02
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay. I am most disappointed to read your comments and would like the opportunity to discuss these in more detail with you. We take all feedback very seriously as it is only through this that we can improve for the future, and I would appreciate it if you could kindly call me. I look forward to hearing from you.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

Attended there as a spouse whilst my husband was on a working weekend. Had read previous reviews on Trip Advisor and knew what to expect. The positives about the place was that they had very good staff. There was a big Wedding happening and it was also when England was playing against Italy. The hotel had set a room up with a projector screen for the England game and it was great. The food was of a high quality and the staff provided service to a very high standard. Need to ring to pre book the spa treatments and again Nicky was fab. Yes the swimming pool was small and unfortunately was shut on the Sunday. Breakfast was the standard English, buffet style, staff again were attentive. Yes the walls did not prevent the level of noise which kept me awake but it is the guests being less than thoughtful of others and they were worse from wear from the Wedding that was happening. I wouldn't go there for a romantic weekend away but if you need a good conference centre, it is very good.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Serene C
Thank you for sharing your feedback on Sedgebrook Hall and I am pleased that you found the service and food to be of a high standard and enjoyed your weekend. I hope that we will have the pleasure of seeing you again in the future.
Epsom, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

I visit many towns and hotels with my exhibition work and get a lot from reading reviews before booking. I had read some negative comments about sedgebrook hall and found none of them to be justified. The hotel is very clean, particular mention to the white bedding, and the room ideal. Stayed for 5 days during which time there were 2 weddings, which caused no disruption to my stay whatsoever and, if anything, added some atmosphere to the ample bar area alongside the main function room. Previous reviews complained of 'long walks to the rooms'.....well it's a big hotel, all corridors are kept clean and on pleasant days you can cut trough the grounds to reach the furthest accommodation, making a 60-70metre walk. Bar prices were a little expensive but no more than would be expected of such an establishment. Left too early for breakfast so cant comment. Must give a mention to the pub next door(4 minute walk), think it was called The Barton Tap (or similar).....great atmosphere, nice people, and the best burger I've eaten (sorry to sound dramatic over such a basic food but it really was great)

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank ant_cun
Yiannis C, General Manager at Sedgebrook Hall, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at Sedgebrook Hall on your recent trip, and for sharing your experience. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

Sedgebrook was really disappointing. You don't actually see the inside of the old building apart from the reception. Once booked in you then go through to what I can only describe as uni halls.
The room was so dull and bathroom dated, but it was very clean. We didn't sleep a wink. Uncomfortable bed, noisy guests and thin walls (no need to go into that!)
The food is seriously over priced and really not worth it. The breakfast buffet had good choice but croissants were raw inside. The pool is small but fine for relaxing. We won't be returning. The best part was the rabbits, they're everywhere... this really was the best bit 5 stars for the rabbits,

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vegmumma
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay, and I am sorry that it did not meet with your expectations. Your comments will be discussed in detail with the management team to ensure that we continually improve for the future, and in this respect I would like to thank you for your feedback. I do hope that you will consider visiting us again in the future.
chelmsford
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

All the pictures on the site would lead you to believe that you are staying in a character Hotel. Unfortunately this is not what you get. Attached to the main building is a modern built annexe containing rooms on two floors, swimming pool and several conference suites. The main Hotel only houses the reception area, some conference suites and the Bridal suite. The rooms are very similar, even though we had booked a superior room it was difficult to see the difference between this and a standard room, I know this because we were given a standard room when we checked in because the reception did not have the correct booking info. There is a pool but it is so small you can only do a few strokes and you reach the end, also there are no individual changing rooms only 1 communal area. The Hotel advertises free wi-fi but this was not working when we arrived and was still not working when we left. The rooms are very small and quite noisy. The shower in the bathroom was terrible, so little flow that it was difficult washing the shampoo out of my hair. The Hotel is probably fine if you are attending a conference or for a business stay but it is not the quaint old Hotel that it seems to advertise.

Room Tip: Difficult to comment as all of the rooms are the same
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chelmerchick
I am sorry that you were disappointed with your recent stay at Sedgebrook Hall. All guest accommodation, apart from our Bridal Suite, is located in a separate wing and I apologise if this was not clear. Your comments regarding the shower have been discussed with my Maintenance Manager in order that this can be rectified. All feedback is taken on board as it is only through this that we can improve for the future, and I would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your views.

Travelers are raving about these Chapel Brampton hotels

Ripon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Good hotel with clean well equipped rooms, wide corridors and great food. Despite the fact that there were weddings going on it did not interfere with the quality of service provided by attentive staff and spacious surroundings.

Excellent food served in the restaurant.

Staff all seemed friendly and helpful.

Good pub 100 yards away for alternative eating/drinking.

Have stayed here twice and will visit again.

Room Tip: Superior rooms have fridges and can reduce drink prices!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank David S
Yiannis C, General Manager at Sedgebrook Hall, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
I am delighted that you had a great weekend on your return visit to Sedgebrook Hall, and enjoyed an excellent meal in the restaurant. I will ensure your comments are passed on. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chapel Brampton
Northampton Marriott Hotel
Northampton Marriott Hotel
#6 of 29 in Northampton
Rushton Hall Hotel and Spa

Been to Sedgebrook Hall? Share your experiences!