“Superbly entertaining”

Sedgebrook Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chapel Brampton
“Superbly entertaining”
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We came to Sedgebrook Hall, on recommendation from friends, to see in New Year 2014. The same friends ensured that we got to stay in the Holly Suite.

The Holly Suite is tastefully decorated and has beautiful furniture. The bath is extra deep and the shower is generously sized, though it does lack a shower tray.

We came for the entertainment and food and we were not disappointed. The 3 piece band kept the mood light whilst we ate and then a fourth member arrived later to sing and entertain. It was this last member that really made the night exceptional. He has his own unique way of getting people on the dance floor whilst adjusting the lighting and filling in time while the "musical director" found his music.

He also dealt with the loss of power exceptionally well and it was testimony to him and his band that we kept partying on until normal service was restored.

I only wish I could remember his name and apologise for leaving this detail out.

The food was excellent. The combination of flavours was outstanding whilst the pace between courses was timed to perfection. Every culinary requirement within our party was met throughout the afternoon tea as well as the 4 course evening meal.

I could not fault the staff at any time. They were all delightful and there was even a member of staff working with a prolapsed disc!

All in all the team, the environment, the entertainment and accommodation surpassed our expectations and we would definitely recommend a party night at Sedgebrook Hall.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
YiannisC805, General Manager at Sedgebrook Hall, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at Sedgebrook Hall for your New Year's Eve celebrations, and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit and hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Stayed here in Dec 2013. Must admit, we were expecting something special, just from the name but was a little disappointed by the 'accommodation block' which, although more than adequate, did resemble a Holiday Inn type block of flats.
That said, the staff were superb, extremely helpful and always available to help.
Food was disappointing too. Limited menu in the evening and pleasant but nothing to write home about. Buffet breakfast, though, was excellent. Hot, varied and plenty.
Bed was very comfortable though I did hear someone complain about corridor noise. (Mind you, I suppose that is expected in late december with office parties etc)
All in all, it was an OK stay and, to be fair, reasonably priced too but nothing special.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Melanie C
Thank you for visiting Sedgebrook Hall and for sharing your feedback. I am sorry that you were disappointed with aspects of your stay, and your comments have been taken on board. I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding our colleagues, and also breakfast, and I hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2013

This hotel claims to be 4* plus but I saw very little evidence of that on my stay. The photos on the show a very different hotel to the one that I stayed in. Arrived on Saturday afternoon for Christmas party. The rooms are a fair walk from reception and very disappointing. We only had 1 key for 2 people which doesn't make things easy and the doors are difficult to unlock. The room was small with the teeniest tiniest bed that I had seen in a hotel for a long time. Considering that this was a 'double' room its seems strange that there was only 1 bedside table, 1 bedside lamp and 1 set of towels in the bathroom. I found the other set in the wardrobe but there was nothing to indicate that. Sedgebrook Hall that this is to stop single occupants using too many towels, but when a couple are booked into a room it would be nice to see it prepared for them. The room boosted a CR TV which didn't didn't actually work very well. The hotel's response was to suggest I watched a channel with a better reception instead.
Tea tray provided but very mean, only enough tea bags for 1 cup each, it would have meant a call to hotel reception to get more. There was also no water or glasses provided in the room other than the bathroom tap and the thinnest plastic tooth glasses imaginable. - Again 4* plus, I would have expected to have glasses and not plastic beakers in the room and a bottle of water.
The food served during the evening was questionable quality. Didn't arrive together, some was cold, some was under cooked, yet some was overcooked. The sort of thing that you expect and normally get at a Christmas meal.
Stayed the night and really wished I hadn't bothered. The bed was so uncomfortable and small. I have stayed in more comfortable Travelodges and Premier Inns. In the morning, I found a large rip in the duvet cover. Only having 1 bedside light and table made it very difficult as one of us had to leave glasses, phone, etc on the floor and when the light was turned on the very bright overhead light by the bathroom came on as well so you either both had to try to sleep or neither of you could.
Breakfast in the morning was a buffet with a poor selection. 4* plus - I would have liked a bit of an a la carte choice as well, but this wasn't the case. There was a greasy fried selection with the usual choice of bacon, sausage, fried eggs, fried bread and baked beans. There were scrambled eggs but having watched others walk up, stir them and drop them back off the spoon I gave those a miss. Poor selection of cereals, cornflakes, puffed rice, weetabix and very little fresh fruit to go with it. Actually, no fresh fruit for cereal - just apples and oranges. Saw about 3 danish pastries but that was all. Once they had gone that appeared to be it. I didn't see staff replenishing the buffet. There was a do it yourself toaster but the bread provided was so thin that it either came out leathery or burnt. Very disappointing. After the poor meal the night before I had hoped to have a reasonable breakfast. I did, when I got home.
Reading previous reviews of this hotel it is interesting to see comments going back several years similar to those that I have. Nothing appears to have been done to improve on that. I have seen comments on how good the staff were as well. I think they must have taken the weekend off.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms seem to be dark and pokey. Not helped by the dark furnishings and wall colour..
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
YiannisC805, General Manager at Sedgebrook Hall, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Thank you for choosing Sedgebrook Hall for your Christmas Party. I am very disappointed to hear that you experienced some issues during your Party and overnight stay, as we have had some very good comments from that night. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your comments in more detail as we do not wish any of our guests to leave unhappy, and would be very grateful if you could contact me directly in this respect. I very much look forward to hearing from you.

Travelers are raving about these Chapel Brampton hotels

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2013

attending Christmas function, micro portions, cold food, bad disco, felt pushed out by staff at the end of the evening. the bedroom room was cold, water was cold mattress needed replacing. cooked breakfast cold. would not go back and wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Beverlie L
YiannisC805, General Manager at Sedgebrook Hall, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Thank you for choosing Sedgebrook Hall for your Christmas Party and for sharing your feedback. I am extremely disappointed that your evening was not as you would have wished since we had some very good comments from that night. We do pride ourselves on the service and standards we offer and I am very keen for all our guests to have an enjoyable stay. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the issues with you further and would be very grateful therefore if you could contact me directly in this respect. I look forward to hearing from you.
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

Had a friday and saturday last minute deal on this hotel. Hotel was a i would say a good 3 star rather than a 4. We upgraded the room which was very comfy. Being a conference hotel the food is not up to very much but is more than acceptable for the price charged. If you are planning on a michelin star experience then this is not for you. Breakfast was very good and being a buffet plentiful. The highlight of our stay was the batman Josh who was a real star. Overall good hotel with very goid staff

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
YiannisC805, General Manager at Sedgebrook Hall, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay at Sedgebrook Hall and for sharing your feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed a comfortable stay with us, and I hope that we will see you again in the near future.
Denbigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We knew we would be arriving quite late as we had had to attend a funeral..We had telephoned ahead and booked a late table in the restaurant.. When we arrived The receptionist was lovely.. She booked us straight in and brought our table reservation to an earlier time for us.. We went to our room and then to the bar for a drink .. the lady behind the bar was very friendly.. We went into the restaurant and had a lovely meal.. The staff were so helpful... Nothing was too much trouble for them.. We had the same at breakfast the following morning... Smiling faces and staff who
obviously enjoy their work... Thankyou to you all for making our stay so nice...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
YiannisC805, General Manager at Sedgebrook Hall, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback following your visit to Sedgebrook Hall. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and will certainly pass on your comments to my colleagues. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Sedgebrook Hall in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in September & despite booking 3 days in advance, I wasn't made aware that there was a wedding until I checked in. I really wish I had known before.

As a regular resident at Principal Hayley hotels, the main areas didn't match up to the others. The accomodation block was fairly dated, however the rooms themselves are nice. Comfy bed :)

They should really look at putting bumpers on the doors. Whenever a room door closes, it bangs down the corridor. Which, unlucky for me, happened constantly from 4pm right through to 4am with wedding guests constantly on the move. They seemed to retire to bed at around 4am, only for the door slamming to start again at 7am.

Breakfast was to the PH standard and enjoyable.

Check out was painfree, although I did get some weird looks from the receptionists when I handed over cash rather than a credit card.

I have been staying in PH locations since they were called Hayley Conference Centres. Unfortunately, this one didn't match up to their high standards.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 385amys
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Sedgebrook Hall. Please accept my apologies for the disturbed night. We are constantly reviewing our facilities, and in the next stage of refurbishment I will discuss the issue of door closers with the property team. I hope that we will see you again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chapel Brampton
#1 of 29 in Northampton
Hilton Northampton
Hilton Northampton
#8 of 29 in Northampton

Been to Sedgebrook Hall? Share your experiences!