“Just beautiful”
Review of Hacienda Jacana

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Talparo
Hacienda Jacana
Reviewed March 13, 2014

This is what the doctor ordered! I travel frequently and often shy away from the familiar. Through random searching I stumbled upon this place, an eco lodge and it is just beautiful. The cottages were well appointed and cozy, especially the kitchen area. You almost don't want to leave the bedroom on account of absolute comfort...but then you do, and there's the calming lake, the delicious fruit we picked off the trees, the birds, the soothing pool, we even spotted a caiman!, Although there for a weekend, the time went by so quickly that it left me yearning. All I can say is I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nelle S

Reviewed February 25, 2014

My wife and I were lucky enough to spend four nights at Hacienda Jacana at the end of a busy two weeks of touring and birding. The welcome and hospitality were superb. The lodges are wonderfully appointed and Helen and Jesse went out of their way to make us feel at home - as well as providing wonderful dinners each evening. We were lucky enough to know to bring some wine, and it would be hard to beat an early evening glass sitting on your own private verandah as the sun goes down.. The beautiful gardens are home to a great selection of birds and Dave Ramlal is a very knowledgeable guide if you want to go out - but there is also plenty to see just relaxing in the small swimming pool. The hummingbirds by the entrance boom are stunning. Highly recommended and a different world from the bustle and traffic of much of Trinidad!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John G
Reviewed January 29, 2014

This was our first point of call on a Christmas trip to Trinidad. We were the only guests so enjoyed the run of the place. Helen made us so welcome and made sure that our evening meal reflected our tastes. We spent one day just walking round the land and the bungalows and picked up 64 bird species as well as Uncle Wally (resident caiman). Without transport you only have the hotel grounds but with the pool, the hummingbirds and the walks that's not a problem. They don't serve alcohol so bring your own or buy some when you're out!

Room Tip: The hummingbirds won't let you sleep much past dawn but then you wouldn't want to anyway!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nigel S
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Having never been to Talparo, we decided to stay at Hacienda Jacana.We discovered a world of local fauna and flora, including the immortelle, varieties of banana, crotons, citrus and heliconia.This accommodation can boast of cleanliness, service and tasty cuisine.Eco-tourism at its best, visitors are in close proximity to hummingbirds, doves,oropondolas and the famous"jacana" after which the hacienda is named.It is tranquil and conducive to relaxation..Escape for a while...

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Amid the chaos that is Trinidad, lies and oasis called Hacienda Jacana. I had the privilege of spending a week in late November at this beautiful resort. The property lies in the central area of the island, near Talparo, very close to the airport and with easy access to many tourist destinations in the north and centre east and west. The resort consists of four cottages surrounded by grounds that are distant from any neighbors and the hustle and bustle of life in Trinidad. The comfortable, well-designed cottages are fully equipped, self-catering, with two bedrooms and one bathroom with a large shower stall. For me, the highlight of the cottage is the viewing balcony, which overlooks the large central pond and has several hummingbird feeders. The cottages are all equally well positioned. There is a small pool on the property and a communal bar/dining area which can accommodate larger groups.
Jesse and Helen Quesnel, the owner/managers of the estate, have done an amazing job in turning this property into a showcase of the island flora and fauna and have made a special effort to attract the birds by planting the appropriate vegetation to accomplish this. As I had come on a birding tour, this was an added bonus. The resort uses the services of Dave Ramlal, a Field Naturalist, who is available to take clients on nature or birding tours of the property or the island.
However, should you choose, you need never leave the grounds, as full board catering is available. I had both breakfast and dinner provided, and my four course dinners were sumptuous. They were even able to accommodate my dietary restrictions.
I highly recommend spending time at HJ, whether you are a local or coming to visit Trinidad.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Christine L
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We didnt know much about Hacienda Jacana before we arrived in Trinidad and we soon learned that we were going to enjoy our stay here more than anywhere else on the island. Accommdation takes the form of several elevated lodges - ours was wonderfully equipped with a fantastic balcony overlooking the small lake in the grounds. Bird life was prolific and we enjoyed as many species here as at more celebrated birding sites. The welcome from Helen was wonderful and the food truly exceptional. I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I am a business lawyer from Washington D.C. working on international projects in Suriname and Trinidad. On my recent trip, I was unexpectedly held over in Trinidad and wanted to get out of Port of Spain for a quiet weekend. A colleague recommended Hacienda and I thought I'd give it a try, not expecting anything out of the ordinary. Wrong! The ambience of a tropical garden and forest was magical, the food delivered was of gourmet quality, and the owners were warm and delightful.

And although I am not into bird watching, I got entranced by the humming bird on the porch of the cottage.

I hope an opportunity arises to return!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Robert S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Talparo
Hyatt Regency Trinidad
Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre
Las Cuevas Beach Lodge
Las Cuevas Beach Lodge
#1 of 1 in Las Cuevas

Been to Hacienda Jacana? Share your experiences!