“Filthiest place I've ever stayed”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
American Inn of Kinder
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Kinder
Aggie, Texas
“Filthiest place I've ever stayed”
Reviewed February 26, 2007

We arrived very late and unpacked into Room 103 (non-smoking) and the first thing I noticed was the absence of a table and chair. Then I noticed the lack of an alarm clock, coffee-maker, kleenexes. There was only one paltry lamp in the room. The carpet was old but presentable.

Then I went to freshen up. Imagine my joy when I saw the filthy door by the commode. Greasy hands plus I can only imagine all up and down the door's edge. It shows incredible lack of cleanliness. Then I spied the urine stains on the back of the commode. So I thought I'd better check the shower. I found four 8-inch wide swaths of BLACK MOLD running up and down the inside of the plastic shower curtain. I went to the sink to wash my hands only to be greeted by stained, dingy towels. By this time my husband decided to check out the sheets. Faint black stains on both sheets and pillowcases. We were furious, but it was too late on a Saturday night to try to find other lodging.

I went to the office the next morning around 9 am to personally leave my key and ask for a discount. Well, the 9 to 10 year-old girl behind the desk wasn't up to the task. I looked over at the other side of the room to see a coffee maker with 2 empty pots that looked like they hadn't been washed in a decade, dollar-store cookies, and a nasty, wadded-up washcloth on the counter. It was so sad it made me laugh out loud.

I hope you learn from our experience with Scottish Inn Kinder. We'll never take a gamble on this place again.

• Liked — That we only had to stay one night.
  • Disliked — The filth, the filth, the filth, the filth
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank music55

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 24, 2006

We have just returned from a one night stay at the Scottish Inns, Kinder. While the price was reasonable and we did not expect the same service as the major hotels in the area, we CERTAINLY did not expect to have to deal with soiled sheets and the EXTREMELY crappy attitude of the hotel manager.

We returned to our hotel just before midnight after a long day at the casinos to find dirty sheets/pillow cases. They had several reddish-brown streaks and a couple of smudged black spots on them. When I spoke to the hotel manager and asked for new sheets, he provided another set. I asked for a discount and he stated that I was already given one. My reply to him was that we did not get a discount for what appeared to be bloody and dirty sheets. All he could say was that he would discuss it at check out. It seemed very obvious that he was put out that I not only woke him up to obtain clean sheets, but that I would expect a discount for the inconvenience of having to ask for such since it should be included in the cost of the hotel as well as the inconvenience of having to change my own sheets in the middle of the night.

During the changing of the sheets, one of the newly provided sheets had yet an even BIGGER black smudged spot right in the middle of the sheet. It was the approximate size of a basketball! This tells me that he did not check it at all before he gave it to me. One would have to be TOTALLY blind to not have seen that. Again, I walked down to the office. When he saw me, the expression on his face read that he was very irritated. When he opened the door, he just looked at me. I showed him the big black smudge and asked him if he would like to sleep on it. He had no reply and took the sheet from me. Yet another sheet was provided. He said to me as he handed me the sheet outside of our room door that he would come in and... Before he could finsih, I let him know that he would NOT be coming in our room as my husband was getting ready for bed. He walked away. This time it was ok.

When I went to check out the next morning, I said to him "Again, I respectfully ask for a discount." He offered $5.00 off. As I did not want to let this ruin the rest of our day, I accepted and moved on. I can not say for sure, but I do not think that he would have offered that if there had not been another patron standing within three feet of me when I made my statement.

We will NOT be staying at the Scottish Inn when we visit Kinder in the future. We will GLADLY pay the extra money to stay at Coushatta or L'auberge du Lac.

• Stayed April 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Kinder hotels

Chicago, Illinios
Reviewed April 14, 2006

This motel was the best in Kinder. We have been to every other motel but this one was the best. I go to the casino in that town every other month. Me and my husband loved it. The motel has a beautiful lake behind it. Sometimes you can see cute, little turtles. It is also a beautiful sunset site. The employees are very nice and help make your stay a pleasent one.
So, I suggest you call Scottish Inns and make a reservation (or just do it online). I much rather call them. This was the best motel we've stayed at in Kinder.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business