“Pleasant surprise”

Hilton New Orleans Airport
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Kenner
Reviewed December 6, 2012

My husband and I planned a weekend getaway to go see Les Mis on Broadway. We weren't interested in staying in the French Quarters so we decided to give this hotel a shot. We had a king room which was extremely comfortable. Front desk was very pleasant for both check in and check out. We did not eat at the hotel as we wanted to go somewhere nice before the show. The distance from the hotel to the Quarters was less than 10 minutes which was fine for us. I did see that they were working on the elevators when we were there, but to be honest, we really never had to wait long for it. I would definitely stay here again as it was a pleasant surprise!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Mike W, General Manager at Hilton New Orleans Airport, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am so glad that you found your accommodations comfortable, our staff pleasant and our location conveniently located to the French Quarter. We are in the process of upgrading our elevators and I am sorry for any delay you may have experienced in waiting for them. It sounds like you had a wonderful time and I hope we get to see you again in the near future. Thank you again for taking the time to give your feedback and thank you for choosing the Hilton New Orleans Airport Hotel.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Stayed here on a week night due to a short seminar held that evening in a meeting room within the hotel. Only 1 of 3 elevators worked and it only worked part of the afternoon/evening. Staff said they were being renovated but once got on with about 5 flight crew personnel and they said it's always like that. At one point we were told we could go to the end of the building to exterior staircase and a staff member would meet us there to unlock the 1st floor access door but nobody came. Power outage for just a few minutes once we were in the room. Sleeping rooms need updating. What really bothered us most was that it's a Hilton and $149 before taxes on a group discount rate and none of the staff was apologetic or accommodating about the elevator issue. There was supposedly a "staff elevator" but we weren't offered to use it and we saw room service tray going up in the one spottily-working elevator so wondered why she wouldn't use the staff elevator. A well managed hotel would have offered a discount on the rate or a free meal or drink in the restaurant or something but that didn't happen.

Room Tip: Not sure if there are any sleeping rooms on the 1st floor but that would be the way to go!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Mike W, General Manager at Hilton New Orleans Airport, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced, while we upgrade our elevators. When complete, they will provide a much improved experience for our guests. The ride and response will be much faster as well as a much smoother riding experience.

I also want to apologize for the misinformation you received from the flight crews. We have required that at least two of the three guest elevators be in operation during the project. The challenges we experienced during your stay, was solely related to the power outage, as we would never knowingly allow our guests to be inconvenienced.

I personally value your feedback and hope you will allow us a future opportunity, to give you the true Hilton experience that our most loyal guests have come to expect and absolutely deserve!

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Clean rooms. Very friendly staff. We especially loved the courtyard and having dinner/drinks in the bar while watching football games on the many screens available.
Their breakfast bar was delicious. Probably the best grits I have ever eaten!
The courtyard had a wonderful, tropical feel to it.
Also, the workout facilities were great (even included private showers!).

Room Tip: Even though our room faced the airport, plane noise was NOT an issue!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your valued feedback. Each and every day, we focus on providing a clean safe environment, while delivering friendly services for our guests. I appreciate you taking the time to let us know that we succeeded in our efforts and I look forward to a future opportunity to be of personal service, on your next visit to the area!

Reviewed November 27, 2012

I arrived at the hotel after disembarking from a cruise in downtown NOLA. I had an early morning flight out and decided on the Hilton because of the airport shuttle, and also the fact that I am an HHonors Diamond Member. I used my points for a room and received free internet & breakfast.
Check in- was a breeze. Nice, prompt, greeted with a smile and made an effort to make me feel they were happy to see me.
Room - Room was nice, very big and spacious. Bed was comfortable, typical Hilton amenities. Cons were the room was a bit dated, the shower and tub hardware had a strange combination... drain plug seemed to be an afterthought, toilet paper was shoved in the peep hole on the door to the hallway. Also, room was quite a hike from the elevators.
Hotel - The main spaces and property are very nice. Beautiful courtyard off the main loby with chairs and couches, nice restaurant, bar, outside pool and jacuzzi, and even a Starbucks. The Cons were the renovations (elevators down/slow, maintenence men everywhere) and I noticed that the same messes that were on the tables in the courtyard when I checked in were still there when I checked out the following morning. Breaksfast was good... a small spread but good. Fresh eggs to order!
Staff - The staff was fantastic. I checked in with Betty at the front desk and she was there throughout the evening and back in the morning for checkout. What a pleasure she is! Betty helped me with local transportation, tips on where to go for the evening, and printed out my boarding pass for me (business center was down because of renovations). Thank you Betty, you made my stay!
Overall nice hotel and experience. I would stay here again after the room and hotel renovations are complete, however, next time I would probably try the DoubleTree down the road to compare properties.

Room Tip: There is only one set of elevators. Some rooms could be considered quite a distance from the elevato...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank FreekwentraveloR

Thank you so much for your detailed account of your recent experience. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced, related to our improvement projects. We do our best to minimize or eliminate guest inconvenience while we renovate. You will also be happy to know that we will secure a design for renovating our guest rooms in 2013.

I want to especially thank you for your comments regarding our front desk team member. You are absolutely correct that she does an outstanding job with making sure our guests feel "cared for, valued and respected", but it's always nice to hear it first hand from a valued guest.

I look forward to your next visit and a future opportunity to be of service!

Reviewed November 21, 2012

You need easy access to airport. Service was very greeting and helpful at check in but that's where the good part stops. Room was in subpar shape, hotel needs to be refreshed. I didn't eat anything here, too close to great restaurants.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Mike W, General Manager at Hilton New Orleans Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you found our service met you expectations. Although our rooms currently meet all Hilton design standards and most guests find them comfortable, we are always looking to improve our guest experience. I am therefore happy to inform you that we will have a new design for our guest rooms in 2013. All gust feedback will be considered in the design, to ensure we continually meet and exceed our guest expectations. I hope you will again stay with us on your next visit to the New Orleans area and also take an opportunity to try our New Orleans influenced menu in one of our restaurants. Happy traveling!

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I am having a tough time being objective with this hotel as we stayed there due to cancelled flight after a vacation at the Roosevelt Astoria - so, clearly, a culture shock. Shuttle was quick and efficient. Location was close. Check in involved a huge line and 3 not so fast employees, but then again..that was our destiny for the day - lines and lines and lines. Room was bland, dull, depressing as typical for an airport hotel but spacious. Things worked. Had only 2 towels which was a struggle. Safe was locked and employee never came to open it as promised, but we made without. Gym was better than I expected. Breakfast was a pleasant surprise, given where our expectations were set. There was a nice sunny yard with tables and a water fountain outside which I really liked. Departure shuttle was efficient and on time and we got out. That's all. This type of hotels are depressing on their own and even more so after being at a luxurious one..

Oh..and someone got stuck in the elevator so there was a crew that came in to get the person out

We didn't pay for the hotel since the airline did..but seeing the rates..wow..I'd say hugely overpriced for what it is. I'd value it at $60/night due to its location.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I hope you enjoyed your stay in New Orleans. We were contacted by your airline and requested to provide rooms for a cancelled flight that night. I apologize that you found the line at the front desk to be long, however, I also hope you can understand that we offer rooms to visitors that would otherwise spend a great deal of time in the airport. We have no way of predicting when flights get cancelled, but we do our best to accommodate unexpected guests.

I am happy that you found our rooms to be spacious, our courtyard to be inviting, our shuttle service fast and friendly and that your work out and breakfast experiences were both pleasurable. I also want to apologize that no one responded to your request to have the safe in your room opened. We are in the middle of modernizing our elevators and unfortunately someone did get stuck. Our response was quick and I took time to personally correspond with the guest that was impacted.

We are certainly proud of our hotel and the services we offer, but of course cannot compete with the likes of the Roosevelt Hotel, which is in fact a Waldorf Astoria product and an absolutely beautiful hotel. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope to have a future opportunity to be of service!

Reviewed November 12, 2012

We called for the shuttle bus to come pick us up. Waited 20 minutes then walked cuz we had to get to a meeting. Saw the driver when we got there, and he had never been told to pick us up. Didn't start our day out very well. THEN we went in to breakfast. There was no clean table, but there was a table with some business associates, so we joined them. Couldn't find anyone to clean the places that had been vacated, so we moved it around, stole some silverware from other tables and went through the buffet. There were pretty slim pickings. The worst was some bruised fruit at the bottom of the bowl and some extra greasy, soggy bacon at the bottom of the heating tray. There were no glasses at the juice bar. No one came to give us water or coffee. We still had to get to the meeting and had to chase down someone to give us a bill.

Of lesser complaint, were given a room on the 4th floor, which I know from experience is noisy. Walked in and turned around because of the smell. Yucky, smoky smell. Move to the 6th floor where the room was fresh and it was quiet.

Of even lesser complaint, our reservation was wrong. It was made by our host, so I don't blame the hotel, but we were given two double beds, instead of a king and there were none available. Those doubles are tiny.

Room Tip: 6th floor! As far from the elevator as you can get. Hope you don't get any neighbors cuz you w...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

I take all responses very seriously and have shared your experience with my Food and Beverage Manager. We routinely share both positive and not so positive reviews with our staff, as a vital component of our continuous improvement process. Additionally, I apologize that our shuttle service was not timely in picking you up from the airport. We typically take no more than ten minutes to pick up guests and routinely quote times when guests call for a pick up. It sounds like we failed you in that aspect as well and for that, I again offer my sincere apology.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I hope to have a future opportunity to be of service, so you can have a true Hilton experience! Happy traveling!