“Airport shuttle bust”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Kenner
Salem, Oregon
“Airport shuttle bust”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We got this room for a good price on Priceline, and the room itself was better than I expected after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. We were picked up by the shuttle at the airport the day we checked in, after a reasonable wait time. We put our names on the list for the 5am shuttle the next morning. We had dinner in the hotel restaurant that evening, with decent food and prices. All things seemed to be gonig well. Until we got up at 4am, preparing to catch the 5am shuttle. The shuttle only runs once an hour at the top of the hour. Once we arrived in the lobby we were told the shuttle was full and there was nothing that could be done about it - our only option was to call a taxi. There were 5 or 6 of us total in that situation. The staffperson in reception was unhelpful and rude. I'm not sure how the other folks ended up getting to the airport, but we ended up paying $20 for a cab - splitting the fare with another stranded guest. No longer such a good deal! I understand that this property is becoming a Hilton Garden Inn again -- hopefully Hilton can improve the service. Not much of an airport hotel if you can't get to the airport using the shuttle.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank cbatlan
Amy S, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Airport, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. Let me apologize that our customer service during your stay at our hotel was lacking. I will definitely pass on your comments to the appropriate department heads for their review and to utilize as a training tool for team members.
We do hope you will give us another chance if you are ever in our area again. If you do come to our area again and would like a reservation please contact me personally I would love to be able to help you.
Amy Stettner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Reviewed March 3, 2013

After an exhausted day of travel and work, I was finally able to check in after midnight. The white-haired older man working reception that night was finalizing my room, i.e taking credit card for incidentals, etc. After running my credit card, he proceeded to HAND WRITE my entire credit card number on the sheet that was to be filed away. I asked him where exactly this information would be kept, and if it would be discarded. He sneeringly looked at me as if I had just accused him of trying to steal my credit card info, and followed with "they get put in the back." I said I was not comfortable with my credit card info just being available in storage for anyone to handle, and that typically I shred anything that has ENTIRE personal information on it, vs the hotels that save it electronically with only the last 4 digits visible, should the documents be lost in the trash. He replied, "your credit info is on everything anyway!" and then drew one line angrily through the number saying "THERE!"--of course, still visible. I told him that was not acceptable for me, still maintaining composure, and then he slammed the paper on the counter and said, "well then just TAKE it!"

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank street20
Verona, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I mainly picked this hotel for a free airport shuttle and breakfast because I was heading to a cruise the next day and my friend was arriving separately. You have to call the hotel to have them send the shuttle, which took about 25 minutes. Service was not impressive-- several individuals acted like they were doing you a favor by stopping what they were doing to talk to you.

In spite of the fact that the reservation was booked in late November and clearly promised a free breakfast buffet, we were told we'd have to pay for it because they changed their policy as of January 1 so no free breakfast. I've never heard of a hotel refusing to honor such a commitment on a previously-booked reservation, and came across as incredibly amateurish and hard up for cash. We said forget it and just waited a few hours to eat on the ship. Considering only 2 people in the lobby were actually eating, I suspect we weren't the only ones who did something like that.

On the bright side, the room was spacious and comfortable, and they did call a cab for us at the requested time. Still, considering the number of lower-priced alternatives near the airport, I would never bother with this place again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of a hallway, seemed slightly more spacious.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank iambumbo
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We were disappointed to learn breakfast wasn't included in price of room. Otherwise we were comfortable. There's a Starbuck's in the lobby but it is expensive... We chose this hotel because hotels in the French Quarter were out of our price range. It's only an hour away from MS Gulf Coast, stay there, eat a free breakfast and make the short drive.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Cruiserfan1
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed February 24, 2013

There are so many things wrong here I don't know where to start. When we checked in we were told we would be getting one bed and received two instead. No big deal, but that was just the start. One of the beds had a broken leg and was obviously at a huge angle. Both beds were so saggy and lumpy that you couldn't sleep anywhere but directly in the middle, and even that was still worse than sleeping on the floor. The entire hotel smells like mildew because they are obviously recovering from flood damage. We received a phantom call from the front desk telling us our shuttle, that we never booked, was ready at 630 am. The shower head was broken and sprayed all over the place.

I really can't begin to explain how bad the beds were. I take pride in being able to sleep almost anywhere. This was literally the most uncomfortable I have ever been at a hotel. I have slept better at a motel 6.

There are still Hilton garden inn signs everywhere. They obviously gave up on this place. No one should have kept trying. Horrible sums it up.

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank flyerguy8
Concord NC
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Just okay if you need a room, but don't expect friendly service. Not close to anything!!! Had to pay for breakfast and they weren't even refilling items during the last hour of the breakfast time. Needed another night, but moved hotels at my daughter's request.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank SandraConcordNC
NOLA
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Booked our room in November for a February stay. I was specifically told that a complimentary breakfast would be included during our stay (hey, I asked because I knew this was the previous policy and I look for hotels that offer breakfast). When we arrived we were told that their new policy was to charge for breakfast and that they were not going to honor the original terms under which I agreed to book the room. So called new policy was enacted right before our stay. I will never stay here again and will not recommend this hotel to any of my professional contacts. Good business practice is to honor your statements made during the course of a transaction. Over eggs and pancakes that probably cost them at best $2.00 a person - the managerial staff decide to impose their "new policy" on my pre-policy booking. Not a smart customer service move. My hotel room was $129 a night. I could have gone up the street less than 3 miles away, paid around $90 bucks and received a free breakfast. This is Kenner, Louisiana. What difference does 3 miles make? End result, I will not recommend this place to any of my colleagues. Minus bad business practices and a bathroom that had hair strands all over the tub and shower upon check in, paint chips in the heater and paint on the floor - the place would have been a decent place to stay. The first floor is lacking a ice machine so you have to lug your cooler up to the 2nd floor if you're staying on the first. Also, request a room far away from the "ice vending" room on the 1st floor. The radio is blaring and you can hear the music from your room. Lastly, make sure you complain about the side doors if they don't shut. The door by our room wouldn't shut close during our stay which poses an incredibly dangerous threat to the safety of guests, especially those with rooms on the first floor.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business