“Nice old joint”

Ranked #11 of 21 Restaurants in Jefferson
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: Closed due to damage sustained in Hurricane Katrina.
Reviewed July 1, 2012

By first appearance the outside of the establishment was unkempt; in serious need of landscaping service. This made me unenthusiastic about the place. Once inside I could see that this was an old-school joint as the host was an older male and his conversation buddy was even older.

The menu is local south Louisiana fare. We had the catfish platters and oyster po-boy. The catfish filets were huge and the food came out piping hot. I like that. The catfish platter comes with jambalaya, fries, and french bread. The jambalaya had tomatoes in it. It was tasty but I am not a fan of tomato based jambalaya. The fries were fresh cut, hot, and delicious. The bread was fresh and I enjoyed it. The oyster po-boy was on fresh french bread and the oysters were seasoned and fried well. You have to order it dressed if thats how you prefer your po-boy.

The restroom facilities were not up to par. It had been updated at some point, but the remnants of the 1970's were still very prominent.

Reviewed March 24, 2012

Or appetrizers of Famous Chargrilled Oysters are very tasty. I ordered the Catfish plate. It was piled high with catfish and very good. My wife had the 2 Stuffed Crabs and liked them. The service was average.

Reviewed November 27, 2011

I can remember going to Jaegers as a kid - when they were in the original location on Elysian Fields. I loved going to Jaegers as an adult at their location on the lakefront at West End. I've been gone from New Orleans for many years so this was the first time I'd been to Jaegers in many years - and definitely since the West End location was destroyed by Katrina and they moved to the Jefferson location. We scheduled to be there for an important family reunion dinner and everyone in the group was sooooooo disappointed.

The food was mediocre at best and very expensive. My son-in-law ordered the escargot - and wound up spending most of the night violently sick. We know it was the escargot because we had all eaten the same things all day, except for the escargot. The $10 speciatly drinks were watery and hardly contained any alcohol.

The service was really poor. Several of our people ordered boiled crabs and shrimp -THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A JAEGERS SIGNATURE. Everyone else was served their meals and eating when the server - in a very off-hand, "oh by the way" manner finally told us that they were out of crabs. Even after than, they didn't serve the boiled shrimp until they had been asked several times.

All in all it was a very poor experience. Don't think I will go back again.

1  Thank Mysticyat
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Jaeger's is a decent local seafood house. Nothing fancy, just good food. We ate here last Thursday because it was their $12.95 lobster dinner special. No wait. We were seated right away. Good crowd for the middle of the week, but there was always tables available while we were there. First thing the waitress asked us, you here for the lobster? Why Yes! So we ordered. Salad was nothing fancy. Good size lobster (I believe the ads claim 1 1/4 lb). Boiled potatoes were so-so, but I'm not a fan of little red boiled potatoes. Corn on the cob was mushy, liked they had left them sitting in the boiling water to keep hot; last time they were crisp and just right. Luck of the draw, I guess. All in all, a decent meal.

Depending on the season, they'll have different seafood specials during the week. Often I'll order the shrimp & fish platter. I find the coating to be right, not too thick or greasy.

Reviewed June 18, 2009

Chargrilled oysters.

Been to Jaeger's Seafood Beer Garden? Share your experiences!