“DDD Disappointment”

Ranked #3 of 21 Restaurants in Jefferson
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I recently got the DDD app and while traveling in the area found the Rivershack Tavern. I have to say I love the building and the atmosphere. I lived in the area 20 years ago and felt disappointed I didn't discover it then, but then came the long wait to be served. The place wasn't crowded and I sat at the bar. I could tell one end of the bar had a grouping of locals and the bartender was enjoying their company. It was at least 5 minutes after sitting down before she came down and asked what I would like to drink. I ordered and got a menu at the same time. I quickly decided what I wanted and then proceeded to wait another 15 minutes until she came back and asked what I wanted to order. I could understand if they were busy, and I would normally not let time go by before I made my presence known but at this point I wanted to see how long it would take. The worst part is another person who I thought was going off shift stood not 5 feet from me talking to others and checking her cell phone several times. I was shocked when I realized she was the other on duty bartender. At one point the two bartenders and a server stood in front of me signing a birthday card and never inquired about my almost empty beer or the fact that I hadn't placed a food order. After I ordered a nice local sat down beside me and we started talking - the bartender came over immediately and took his order and started talking away and it was if I wasn't there.

Great building, great atmosphere, great live music, HORRIBLE service. If you're not a local don't bother - plenty of other great locations in the area to get some good food.

1  Thank Doug P

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We left the busy downtown area of NOLA and ended up at the River Shack. It only took about 10 minutes to get there, and it was well worth the trip. The place is warm and homey, with a great New Orleans menu to choose from. We had the onion rings, roast beef debris po boy, and the alligator sausage po boy. All three were phenomenal- but the roast beef was the star. It def rivaled Mother's- which up until now was my favorite. Leave the crowds behind and support a great local business!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Went with family. Cute, local flavor. Unable to get any seafood grilled instead of deep fried. At our table folks had a variety os sandwiches, burgers, etc. No one was thrilled but thought food was alright- except for the folks who got seafood platters who all wished that it all wasn't deep-fried. Didn't get chance to hear music since we had a few teens with us.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Learned of this restaurant from Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive Inns and Dives. First visited there in Nov 2008 and go back every time in town. It is 8 miles or a $25 cab ride from quarter. It is a great drinking bar with amazing food . Chef Mike is amazing and Shelly the bartender is wonderful. I always order Chef Mike's special of the day and it is always awesome. I recently had a pork chop dish there for lunch that I would have gladly paid double for in the quarter. Four of us for lunch, two lunch specials, two regular lunch items and several beers all for under $80. You will not find better quality food and value with the amazing staff anywhere!

Reviewed December 8, 2012

My husband and I went here one evening and the poor boys were excellent. Service was a little slow, but we were not in a hurry. My husband had the gator poor boy and I had the shrimp poor boy. Both were so good and so much food. There was no live entertainment, but the food was really worth the trip.