“overrated”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I was not impressed by the food we had at all, the food was overcooked, almost burned, when we first got the shrimp, they were like the salad shrimp, so tiny, asked to give us at least a normal size shrimp, the batter used was cheap tasting, almost like they come from the freezer!

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I'm Cajun. Born and bred on the bayou, but I've lived out of state for 25 years.

When I go home, I want my Big Al's.

The last time we were home, the wife and I went twice. I had to get a second serving of Big Al's boiled shrimp. A full serving of jumbo shrimp with great Cajun seasonings.

My wife? She swears they have the best fried pickles she's ever had.

And let me tell you: get the charbroiled oysters. The first night, they were gigantic. The second night, more of a traditional size. But the flavor of the dish were amazing. You can have Acme and Drago's in New Orleans. I'll take Big Al's for these oysters any day, any time.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I am a frequent Louisiana traveler. I eat gumbo in a different restaurant for lunch and dinner every day of the week if I can. I have had some of the best on the planet, and, believe it or not, there are a few places that serve bad gumbo.

I ordered the seafood gumbo and the all-you-can-eat catfish.

The roux was excellent but the gumbo lacked crab and oyster. How can you serve 'seafood' gumbo in Louisiana and not prepare it with crab and at least a hint of an oyster floating somewhere? It was just okay; I was disappointed.

The catfish arrived on time but it too was inadequate. Now I'm thinkin' this place is way overrated. It's as if they have this popular restaurant, with a bar and a decent atmosphere, but the food is secondary. The fish plate showed up with a half helping of bland and disappointing tartar sauce, and no cocktail sauce. There were no lemon wedges, no coleslaw and no hush puppies. The fries were undercooked and half of them were mushy. Yuk.

I have eaten in some of the finest catfish parlors in Texas and Louisiana. I think all of them serve catfish with the above-mentioned missing items.

The fish was good, not at all greasy, with decent flour/corn flour breading. I enjoy corn flour breading but this was just a little on the heavy side. The flavor was great though.

This is a bar and grille, but mostly a bar in my opinion. Inadequate food in south Louisiana is inexcusable.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

They serve the best poboys in Houma! They are a bit pricey compared to other eateries in the area but, it is worth it when you want a good authentic poboy on good poboy bread!
Try it, you'll like it.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Food and atmosphere is great.. Maybe you will see some of the cast members of "Swamp People" as I did..

Been to Big Al's Seafood? Share your experiences!