“Scary stay!”

Best Western Plus Westbank
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Harvey
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We have stayed here before, as a family, and had a nice experience. The hotel is very nice and clean but that not where my complaint lies. We had spent a nice evening and laid down about 10:30. About 11:15, we awoke to loud talking and laughing. I should explain that this hotel is built around the swimming pool. I looked out the peephole to see about 25 or 30 people, standing around, laughing, drinking and hanging out right outside our door. Now, the signs all say that the pool area closes at 10:00 and as much as I myself like to have a good time, I did have a child in the room. After about 15 minutes of them getting louder, my husband called the front desk and asked that someone come and ask them to quiet down. As I am a nosy person, I watched (thru the peephole again) as the so-called Security came, spoke to someone standing outside our door and proceded to tell them that they needed to be quiet and then obviously told them that we were the ones who called, because people started pointing at our door and saying "This room called security on us!". I watched as adults and children pretended to kick at our door and then procede to talk even louder! After about 30 more minutes and after begging and my daughter crying for her father not to go outside, we called again. Security (and I use the term loosely) came back, spoke to someone and I then heard someone say "Let's just move down, they're the only room complaining." They did move and it did get quieter, until about 1:30, when 3 totally different guys decided to hang by the pool and talk and drink loudly. I could not stop my husband that time and he went out and spoke with them and they did leave. Now don't get me wrong, I like to have a good time as well as the next guy but have a little respect for other people. But my biggest complaint is that I feel like the hotel put my family at risk by telling those people which room called. They should never have done that! My daughter was crying and she was scared! And when my husband complained the next morning, the lady could have cared less. And she said the owner would be calling me but I have yet to hear anything. It's really a shame because it is a very nice hotel, but we won't be back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank mispuggy

Reviewed June 5, 2012

We have nothing but good things to say about this hotel. We were impressed the minute we walked into the lobby to check in. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. We even got a free bottle of water and 2 cookies on check-in, which doesn't sound like much, but was very much appreciated after a very long drive to get there. Rooms are very clean and spacious, beds are super comfortable and bathroom well equipped. The courtyard is beautiful and again, very clean. The whole hotel was very clean and considering they were doing a little cosmetic work to the outside wall, there was very little noise. Free breakfast every morning was nice and always hot. When we asked for directions to Algiers Pt., the staff went out of their way to make sure we knew where we were going, going so far as to google a map for us!! We ate a few meals at Copelands and the food was very good and the price was very reasonable. All in all this was a very enjoyable trip and we will definetly stay here again. Being able to take the ferry, free for pedestrians, was a bonus. Can't wait to go back!!!!

Room Tip: All rooms face onto the courtyard but you get a better view from the "middle rooms" as opp...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2012

When we come to New Orleans for Jazzfest, we like to stay at hotels outside of the city. As a facility, this was a decent hotel. The lobby is very nice, and the room was perfectly standard for a mid-level hotel chain. There were a couple little blips that we would have happily overlooked (such as the used condom that was visible on the roof outside the door of our second floor room for our entire stay - it's impossible that no staff member noticed it during that time), if it weren't for the woman who worked in the breakfast area.

Breakfast is served from 5:30am-9:30am. We slept in a bit and were in the lobby to go into breakfast at 9:20am. The woman who works the breakfast area locked the door and was telling people that breakfast was closed. The following day we went down a few minutes earlier, just to grab a coffee and see if this was her "customer service" approach every day. Again, she locked the door before the end time of breakfast. In fact, she literally locked customers in as well as out, dividing several families. I myself was locked out, while my husband was locked in. He had to turn the key and unlock the door to let out a little boy who was locked in while his family was already out in the lobby. I was APPALLED at this complete disregard for customer service and satisfaction. She wasn't even nice about it, such as apologizing to people that she was out of food or closing early. She seemed absolutely put out by the presence of paying GUESTS in the breakfast area. I worked at a mid-level chain hotel for seven years, and it was our policy that every guest who entered the breakfast area during operating hours deserved the same high level of service. That meant hot and fresh food served with a friendly greeting from the minute breakfast started to the minute it ended. I can't believe that someone working in customer service could be so rude and still be employed.

We did ask at the front desk to speak with the manager, as I had every intention of sharing my feedback with them. However, we were told that the manager would not be in until 10:30am "or so" and we needed to leave for the day before that time. It was well after the end of their shift when we returned. Why the hotel didn't have a Manager on Duty available at any hour is another question.

All in all, we would have had a decent stay at this hotel, meeting our expectations, if we hadn't been treated like scum by the breakfast attendant. The other little blips that we encountered and could have overlooked include:
- I don't care for those comforters that some hotels still use that never get cleaned and have goodness-knows-what on them. I prefer hotels that have gone to duvet covers that actually get washed before a new guest checks in. Not a huge deal - we just pull them off the bed and don't use them.
- The aforementioned used condom on the roof was pretty gross.
- Our toilet was really difficult to flush - you had to hold the handle down for a long time.
- The shower head made a really high pitched whistling sound for some reason.
- On the last day of our stay, housekeeping clearly came to our room, because they had cleaned the bathroom, but they didn't make our bed.

On the bright side, the young woman at the front desk who checked us in (she was a trainee) was very pleasant and welcoming. Most of the staff that we passed in the hallway greeted us warmly. The bed was quite comfortable, and the fridge in the room was convenient. We didn't have time to use the pool, but it looked quite nice.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Meg H
Reviewed May 16, 2012

. The courtyard is a beautiful little oasis in the middle of the hotel. Clean inviting pool and jacuzzi
, flowering plants. (I wish they would have a separate smoking area) I wanted to sit outside in the courtyard one night, it seemed everyone out there was smoking, so
I went back to my room. The rooms were immaculate, beds comfortable. Free breakfast was very nice. The owner, Don, is a man who prides himself on creating a special place for visitors. I would highly recommend this hotel, I went back later in the week and stayed again!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

We entrusted this location to "park and stay". Which meant that they would give us one nights stay, and then taxi us to our cruise ship. As the front clerk ensured we were on the park and stay and guaranteed we would depart the hotel no later than 10, we did not. The "bus" they ordered was for another group of 10 people though we did not know. When it arrived at 10:30 we loaded our bags and was told it was not for us, rather a group of 10. So we and another two couples off loaded and our bags. This left 8 more couples needing a ride in which they paid for. Front clerk ordered another taxi, but it was a minivan. Since we had two couples in our group, we told the other couples to take that one as they could not fit 4 of us and the baggage. Now we are pressed for time in a bad way to get to the port. We did not want to chance $4000.00 worth of cruise payments so we had to use our vehicle to pay and park at the port which was "ANOTHER" $112.00 at the port. So we left and tried to make amends as we could of chosen a cheaper hotel, and drove to port, but they did not want to do what is right.

By the way.....my wife was in a wheel chair due to a broken pelvic bone and needed special treatment which seems like it didn't even matter. We could of stayed around another hotel for half the price, but we entrusted this place to come through....they didn't!

BBB will have a detailed complaint from us very soon. There are more details, and I'm not being biased, but they jeopardized our cruise we have been saving for over 10 years.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank tanarra
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Loved this place. Another couple and our selves booked this place for 4 days, 4/21-4/25, based on Tripadvisor reviews.What a bargain. We got a 4 star hotel at a 2 star price.The place is immaculate and appears to have been recently remodelled.. Attedents are cleaning all the time. Our king bed ground floor room was a good size with a sofa,coffee table, microwave,refrigerator, flat screen tv.Our comfortable bed had pleny of pillows and bathroom was stocked with extra towels.All rooms face a beautiful landscapped courtyard with palm trees, pool,patio area with table/chairs, hot tub and even a bar housed in a small tavern like structure w/ a porch.The lobby is very inviting and cozy with 2 available computers. . Hot breakfact every morning included scrambled eggs w/bacon or sausage. Parking is free. Only eight to miles to Big Easy via easy access to Bus 90/ Rt 10. or drive to Algiers Pt, park for $5 and take free ferry to Canal st. Copeland's Resturant (nice place, good food, great service) is right next door. Walgreens, CVS, fast food facilities,etc.,all within walking distance. Hotel personnel very friendly and helpful.Our trip to New Orlreans was very pleasurable enhanced by a pleasant stay at this charming Best Western.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2012

Well, I booked here because I wanted to be close to the Zurich Classic and the reviews were good, but when we pulled up to the hotel I was a little disappointed. Dated exterior and interior. Beds were comfortable and room was clean. I felt better when I saw a bible opened up on the desk and sign outside said, "prayer works". Breakfast was good but very small eating area. All in all a pleasant stay for 2 nights.

Stayed: April 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harvey
Comfort Suites Harvey
Holiday Inn Express Harvey - Marrero
TownePlace Suites New Orleans Harvey/West Bank
Hampton Inn & Suites Harvey/New Orleans West Bank
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Belle Chasse/New Orleans
2 mi away
Boomtown New Orleans Hotel

Been to Best Western Plus Westbank? Share your experiences!