“Great Neighborhood Place”

Ranked #1 of 54 Restaurants in Harahan
Houston, Texas
“Great Neighborhood Place”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Not fine dining, just fine food, typical New Orleans comfort food, plus some house specialties done with flair. Brought my visiting cousin from Texas here once when he was looking for just a good local restaurant, and he raved about the place. I agree with all the positive comments I've seen, and fortunately I've not had any of the negative experiences described here. This place used to be about four minutes away from my old house, and we loved it.

• Visited April 2013

Gallatin, Tennessee
“Great seafood generous portions”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

There were 9 of us including 3 that were ages 2 & 3 years old.. The menu had a lot of choices. They were very accommodating when I asked if I could add another soft shell crab to my order. The food was delicious, hot and brought to the table in a very timely manner. My son in law recommended the place and we had a great meal!!! I love seafood and this place rocks it. We had 3 appetizers and 8 entrees and the bill was about &140.00. What a bargain since we spent more than that on lunch in the French quarter with less people

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank chicks13
Austin, Texas
“I want to like this place but have had two of the most disgusting Poboys in my life here.”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Ok, so I really want to like this place. I have had their food twice and both times the poboys were DISGUSTING.

The first experience was at Poboy Fest a few weeks ago. A friend I was with told met hat they won best Poboy the year before so I decided to give it a try. I had their Seafood Au Gratin poboy. It was cold and gross. Even if it had been freshly made and warm, it wouldn't have helped this horrible concoction of seafood and cheese. Two items that I love so I figured it would be great.

The second experience was last week. I headed over to their shack on Hickory in Harahan. Quite possibly the worst looking street in all of East Bank of Jefferson Parish. Seithers is probably the worst looking building on that terrible street with is hard to do when you're competing against dog training facilities, car repair shops and VFW halls... Nonetheless, I was there for the food.

They had a pretty large selection and I probably should have gone with the shrimp remoulade poboy (apparently the winner of last year's Poboy Fest) but instead I somehow chose the crab cake poboy. When I ordered it, the woman at the counter asked if I knew it was grilled in a suspicious way. I said sure and then immediately regretted my choice by the way she asked.

I love crab cakes and how bad can a great crab cake on poboy bread be? Well I guess you would have to start with a great crab cake. This was the most disgusting crab cake on earth. Some gooey horrible mess that squeezed out of the bread. If there was one ounce of crabmeat in it then I couldn't find it,. I felt like Gordon Ramsey how he always orders the crab cake at every restaurant he saves and tells them how horrible their crab cakes are but it was this bad.

On top of that, the crab cakes were cold in the middle. I don't know where they came up with this recipe for crab cakes or who in the world would order this horrible sandwich but they need to remove it from the menu.

That said.... I'm going to give them one more try. I know that a lot of people love this place and the oysters that the table next to me were having while I waited for my poboy to be ready looked delicious. I guess next time I will ask what they recommend before going off the cuff.

• Visited December 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Fantastic food in a neighborhood restaurant”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

We found Seithers through trip advisor even though I grew up in Harahan and still have family living In the area I didn't know about Seithers. Too bad because I have surely missed some great food on my visits home.

The gag plant Harahan is such a neat dish pairing two of. Y favs- eggplant and crab and then a wonderful sauce with shrimp in it.

The restaurant is a typically New Orleans neighborhood restaurant, meaning no white tablecloths. But who needs them. The food is the main attraction here and it's all wonderful. Like them on Facebook and you will get updates with their current creations. The chef comes up with some fabulous new special dishes.

We will be visiting often on our trips home.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Jan M
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Best.Food.Ever.”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I'm a local from New Orleans area, and I can tell you this is the best place to find authentic "Yat" seafood. Simply amazing food! Even simple things like the fried seafood platter are the best I've ever had. Owner Jason Seither does the most amazing job in combining tastes, textures, and cuisines. My fave is the blackened shrimp avacado po-boy. And "Doc" the oyster shucker is a character! The restaurant is a hole in the wall with an oyster shell parking lot; It's somewhat off the grid, but it's the one place I tell people to go from out of town for a dinner experience you'll never forget. My new go-to place. Recommend sitting in the oyster bar!

• Visited November 2013