“Fried oyster batter - overpowering”
Review of DON'S Seafood

DON'S Seafood
Ranked #5 of 142 Restaurants in Hammond
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Description: DON'S SEAFOOD More Than Eighty Years of Exceptional Seafood South Louisiana locals and visitors have been drawn to DON'S authentic Cajun cuisine for more than 80 years. Menu selections including traditional Landry family recipes, and more recent original creations like Zydeco Shrimp, are well worth repeat visits. Many stop in daily for oysters on the half shell or boiled crawfish in season. DON'S bartenders serve Signature Old Fashioned cocktails alongside the newest specialty drinks, many made with Louisiana products. DON'S SEAFOOD began in 1934, when Don Landry opened his first restaurant and bar in downtown Lafayette with $400 borrowed from his uncle. Prohibition had just been lifted and at only 24 years old, he envisioned serving drinks and offering a simple menu featuring fresh local seafood. Four generations later, the Landry family has expanded that humble beginning into what would eventually become the DON'S SEAFOOD of today. Continuing the tradition, the Landry family still owns and operates each location. An extensive menu of original South Louisiana Cajun family recipes, the freshest Gulf seafood and sizzling steaks is offered. Each location boasts a unique Acadiana-inspired décor, all have a full-service bar and grill, perfect for casual diners or sports enthusiasts. Every DON'S SEAFOOD grill features an open charbroiler where diners can watch exclusive dishes being prepared like DON'S Original Jacked Up Oysters loaded with bacon, jalapenos and pepper jack cheese. Whether you're just passing through South Louisiana or live right around the corner, you'll find a DON'S SEAFOOD location near you in Lafayette, Denham Springs, Gonzales, Hammond, Covington and Metairie.
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We enjoyed our dinner for the most part in this friendly, casual place with great service. However, we had mixed results with the food. I had the garlic, romano, and butter grilled oysters on the half-shell, from the appetizer menu for $10 and thought they were delicious and well-prepared. I also had the bean-rice side dish for $3 that was just delicious. My husband had the fried oysters with fries for $18. We both agreed that the batter used on the oysters overpowered their flavor making them rather dry and bland, although it was a big serving. My meal was, by far, the better tasting and value.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

I love seafood and always try to seek out the best of the best no matter where I go. Don's Seafood is one of those places that sticks out in my my mind as "one of the best"! It's nothing impressive when you walk in, just another tacky decorated seafood joint...it even has a small souvenir shop in the front...I have to take away a few points for that! But the food here is amazing! I ate here several times while staying in Hammond and was never disappointed. They serve market fresh seafood, cooked to perfection. I have ate at seafood joints all over New Orleans and Don's is up there with the best of them. If you go, I recommend the "Jacked Up Oysters". It's an appetizer that I got the first time I went there, and every time thereafter! RECOMMENDED!

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Don's was a great surprise to my wife and I.For a chain eatery the food was cajun spicy ,but not over the top.For the dollar,your not at Long John Silvers,you can't go wrong.I liked there beer selection also.

Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

I had alligator....
The seafood for the main meal was good. Not to spicy. 2 dollar pints. Can't beat that. And they watched our glasses and keep them comming. As you can see service was good

1  Thank TravelingDrZ
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

The crab cakes are yummy but pricey. $10 for 2. I recommend Dons sampler $22 to get a little taste of everything and add the gumbo for $3 more. Superbly delicious! Left full to the brim with a doggy bag to boot. The service was excellent, with an attentive waiter and quick refills of water, soda, etc. Great overall dining experience.