“Only 4 days Old”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Hammond
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Only 4 days Old”
Reviewed May 12, 2010

Finding ourselves slowed by traffic on the I12 north of New Orleans we exited at Hammond to look for a hotel. We saw the Holiday Inn sign and turned, but wondered where we were going as it seems to be at the back of other buildings off the road. WE heard in the night near a rail line too!

Workmen were scurrying round the car park and we thought it was just being renovated. but we were told it had only opened 4 days ago! The rate was $129.99 which we thought expensive, but as it was new we gave it a try.

We seemed to be the first in our room which was a bit daunting as we were worried about spoiling things. As to be expected of a new hotel, everything was very clean and as not many people were staying it was very quiet.
We ate a good meal in the restaurant (although my husbands salad starter was past it's sell by date). There are personal tv sets at each table along the wall. Both chefs and the server were very friendly and came to talk to us - possibly because they all had nothing to do - although lots of important looking people were milling about.

On checking out next morning the chefs and the reception staff were all asking what we thought of their hotel.

The first time we have ever stayed at a new hotel - definitely an experience.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Reviewed May 6, 2010

I recently stayed at this Holiday Inn and I do not feel I got what I payed for. They are charging a full service price but not providing full service. There are no microwaves or refridgrators in the rooms. I believe this place opened way to soon. The pool was not available and the conference rooms are a complete mess. The employees were smoking right outside the restuarant and that's what I smelled during my entire meal. This place needs to make major improvements. However the rooms were nice and the staff was friendly.

• Stayed April 2010
North Central Texas
Reviewed April 19, 2010

My wife and I were in Hammond, LA for some meetings and we were driving around town checking out the sights and enjoying spending a little bit of time together. We had already checked into a different hotel but were not satisfied with it so we were contemplating staying somewhere else. I noticed there was a Holiday Inn in town and mentioned it to my wife. We decided to just drive up and see what their AAA rate was. When I pulled up to the entrance I noticed a lot of construction stuff and thought, "this is odd, maybe they have opened recently and are picking things up still". I go in and ask if they have rooms and they tell me yes and I ask what their AAA rate was. As they are looking it up I ask them if they have just opened. They told me they just opened 1 HOUR AGO and that I was the VERY FIRST PERSON to check into that hotel! How cool is that!!!! Anyway, since we were the first guests they gave us a very special rate and gave us a little welcome basket. I met the Front Desk Manager, Food Services Director and the General Manager. They took such, such good care of us. Of course, a new hotel is always going to have it's little glitches here and there, but overall I was very impressed with the hotel. We are going to stay there again very soon.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business