“Perfect Group Setting”

and 1 more site!
Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Hammond
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We recently stayed at Magnuson Grand Hotel with our youth baseball team, and we loved it. It is an older hotel so if little things bother you then it might not be the place for you (and i do mean little things.. tube tv, wallpaper a little worn). Cosmetic things are never a big deal breaker to me as long as the room is clean and the beds are comfy. Were they? YES! The lobby in this place is phenomenal. As a group setting this place is PERFECT. There was an indoor pool for the boys (its still a little chilly here!), but I noticed the outdoor pool was also clean and ready. There was also a huge grassy area beyond the pool that our boys were able to play tag football in. That's a huge thing when you have 12 eight year old boys to contain. Breakfast was hot and wonderful :) The staff was amazingly nice and went above and beyond. We are definitely making this our "go to" place for all future baseball games in the Hammond area. Aces Baseball loves the Magnuson Grand Hotel :)

Room Tip: We had an outdoor room that faced the courtyard and couldn't have been happier.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Joey F, General Manager at Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Dear Jessica, Thanks so much for your kind words. You and your group were a pleasure to have with us. If I remember correctly, the weather during your visit was ghastly for a baseball tourney. I am so glad that the kids had a way to get out of the room and burn off some energy, (more glad for the parents). We certainly look forward to the day you all visit us again. Sicerely, Joey Fryoux GM

There are newer reviews for Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stayed here via priceline.com the staff turned and laughed when they said I'd be staying in 103. Internet didn't work, staff said "ya, that's too bad" and then refused to do anything about it. Staff criticized priceline and then turned their remarks towards me. The male clerk said they were only going to make $35 out of the $140 or so that I paid and that I was taking money from the hotel by using priceline. My question is how much would you have made if nobody stayed in that room? Exactly! I questioned the internet connection to three different sets of clerks and everyone of them treated me as a disease and offered nothing more than a rehashed "too bad". One of the clerks was nice enough to give me a sad face while saying it and then told me I could use the business room. Which I did but in there the internet worked for about 3 minutes then shut off. Want a complaint? The reason priceline put us at the hotel was because they had internet. Take internet off the accomodations and people like me and my family will never have to give you money again! Seriously! Treated like absolute dirt, verbally attacked for my booking choices, no internet, breakfast was terrible, and the best part about the magnuson was leaving!

Room Tip: Room was outside and I stayed in a room that had a no smoking sign and no ashtrays. When I called t...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Joey F, General Manager at Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Dear Lucian B. I am very sorry to hear your description of your stay with us. It is highly unusual to hear that the front desk staff was anything but professional and courteous. We have a very good relationship with Priceline and we certainly value that relationship which is rewarding and profitable for both parties so the remarks you stated that were made by the staff are unfounded and highly unusual. I apologize if these remarks were made to you and I will research this episode. As for our internet, it is wi-fi and available in all rooms with the occassional weather interruption which has not been the case for some time. Our breakfast, a full and free meal, is generally met with exceptional reviews and I cannot fathom what could have affected your particular meal so negatively. I was present and on duty for the duration of your stay and I can only state that,had you called these things to my attention during your visit, I would gladly have addressed all these issues with you. Once again, I am sorry your visit was not more enjoyable and we invite you to return so we have the opportunity to put our award winning guest services on display for you.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

This looked good at the entry and lobby. We were never told at registration where the room was and searched inside for several minutes. Upon asking we were told it was outside entry room. No hotel should have furniture as tattered as this one. The phone did not work. I did not discover that until I tried to leave a wake up call. Clock radio did not work either. I had to set my phone alarm. This could have been nice with some upgrades and communication at registration. One other couple dragged all their luggage in only to be told their room was outside too. Registration personnel were polite and courteous. They do need to communicate more regarding room location.

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear James B. Thank you so much for the feedback on your exprience here at the Magnuson. While it is true that our hotel is beginning to show some age, we are committed to providing our guests with an efficient and comfortable room in good working order. I have spoken to the staff and can find no record of this having been called to our attention so I must apologize for not addressing these issues while you were here.I have since inspected the room you were in and found everything in good working order. I am sorry that you did not have the kind of experience we strive to provide for our guests and hope that you will give us another opportunity to deliver the kind of experience that all our guests deserve.

Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

The young lady at the desk was very good. Helpful and pleasant. Room more than adequate. Was clean. Then came breakfast. Was a buffet. Coffee, juice, eggs..... On and on all the good stuff. You have to see this lobby.... It is out of this world for a "motel". All for 50 dollars.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank TravelingDrZ
Joey F, Manager at Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Dear Dr. Z, Thanks so much for the kind words. I have shared your feelings with the staff, the people really responsible for those things you mentioned. We all take great pride in our work and my associates are always so pleased to hear that their efforts are shown in a guests pleasant stay. We hope that if you visit Hammond again you will give us another chance to serve you and I look forward to meeting you in person. Thanks again Joey Fryoux GM

Reviewed October 2, 2013

the owners are really trying very hard to make this a beautiful hotel, we found it quite nice, and the owners were nice and the staff were super pleasant and quite professional. Be warned it is a HUGE area and I got lost a few times :-) the room was clean, and smelled great, the bed was just scrummy and comfy. Great breakfast, hot food, and cold as well. We were pleased with every thing they had to offer. Wifi was fine..we left to do some exploring in New Orleans, and asked that they tidy up the room, not only did they do that they gave it a through cleaning, we also had the pool all to ourselves , it was an older pool, but clean. It was too bad the jacuzzi inside was drained but obviously going to be repaired. We stayed two nights there. Would happily return. We had a room the farthest from the front office,but it was nice and quiet. Give this place a try, I promise you it will be worth it :-)

Room Tip: Ask to see the room you will be getting...if you want a nice quiet room, ask for one in the far back...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Joey F, General Manager at Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

Dear Cloggie, Thank you so much for your kind words. I will be sure to share them with the staff as they are the ones who make it happen and they take great pride in hearing that they made someone's stay more enjoyable. THAT is why we are able to accomplish these kinds of things and I am very proud of them . Yes, we are in the middle of a project to rescue this property and return it to its rightful spot atop the hospitality industry in Hammond and it is rewarding for me to see their hard work starting to pay off. I look forward to your return and hope we can meet to say hello then. Thanks again. Joey Fryoux GM

Reviewed September 1, 2013

This hotel is a great value in my opinion, especially if you pull coupons out of those coupon books available at gas stations and Denny's restaurants.

The price is below $60, breakfast is a decent buffet, and highway access is good along with a value priced gas station to fill up on your way in or out.

The service overall is friendly, the room was clean. You can get a room to watch your car from.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Joey F, General Manager at Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Dear meh, Thank you so very much for your kind words. As an experienced traveler, your insight is most valuable to me as a manager. I am proud of my staff and of their attention to detail but there is no substitute for the feedback of our guests. Thanks also for noting what a great value our hotel is to travelers. In today's world it is paramount to find the best 'bang for your buck' and we strive to fit that bill. If you are in our area again, please consider us and if possible check with the desk so we can meet in person. We look forward to your return and thanks again. Joey Fryoux GM

Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here before. This is an old Holiday Inn with a lot of rooms and an indoor pool. It has aged gracefully but needs some work. The rooms are clean with new beds. The TV's are NOT flat screens and the some of the furniture is stained. The window A/C is older and makes noise. The bath tubs are stain and need to be relined. On the outside, the painted concrete is worn out. Needs paint on the stairs and sidewalks. Breakfast is average with scrambled eggs but NO BANANAS. Price has increased by $5.00 to $54.99 w/travel coupon. This motel continues to improve, but if still need lots of work.

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear Wild Bill, Thank you for your input concerning our property. I appreciate your kind words as this is indeed a wonderful hotel that has some age on it. We are diligently working toward revitalizing it and 'spiffing up' the place. You seem to be an experienced traveler and your insight is welcomed and most appreciated. I am sorry for any inconvenience we may have caused you and wish you to know that all these things are being addressed and we invite you back to view our progress on your next trip through Louisiana. Sincerely, Joey Fryoux GM