“Looks are deceiving!”

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Hammond
Umpire
“Looks are deceiving!”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This was the assigned hotel for the 15-16 World Series. Don't have a clue why they would put adults here much less kids. When you first walk in, it is beautiful but that is as far as the beauty goes. Much renovating needed in the rooms. (mold in the bathtub) Very dark, Had a burglary in the lobby our first night. The police warned us that the Motel 6 next door has a lot of "nightly" activity. The one thing going for it is Don's Seafood and Steakhouse across the street. It is the best ever! You must eat there! (And the employees were very nice)

If you are going to stay in Hammond go to US-51 just one street over. That seemed to be the nicer part of town

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank alexk71971

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Arkansas
Reviewed September 3, 2011

I hate to leave below average reviews for anyone, but I do feel this motel is below average and I will not stay there again. The hotel staff was very friendly and seemed to try and please. The lobby looked very nice upon entering. We were scheduled to stay at the motel for 13 nights while in town on business. When we got to the room we noticed a musty odor and should have requested another room immediately, however we went ahead and stayed the night in the room thinking that maybe it had been closed up without air conditioner running and it would soon get better. I woke up in the middle of the night smelling the unpleasant odor and decided we would not stay in the room another night. We informed the clerk at the front desk about the odor and requested another room. She apologized and said they did have another room available. We asked to see it first and it was much better than the first on, so we moved to it. We didn’t notice the unpleasant odor in this room; however that night we killed three roaches in the room. The next morning we checked out and moved to a different motel. We stayed at the Comfort Inn the remaining 11 nights and were very happy with everything there. I can’t understand how Quality Inn is rated above Comfort Inn on Trip Advisor.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank gbing

Travelers are raving about these Hammond hotels

Montreal, QC
Reviewed July 7, 2011

I hate posting reviews that go the opposite direction of most of the prior reviews however I thought my stay at the Quality Inn & conference center in Hammond LA was simply average.

When you first get thru the front doors of this Quality Inn you will be amazed and go wow this place is pretty neat! The hall way, reception hall, sitting area are beautiful and it leads you to believe that the room are going to be majestic however it's quite the opposite.

We arrived at the hotel pretty late at around 10pm. The front desk was unattended at that moment so it gave me a lot of time to appreciate the decor. There was a gentleman from maintenance that came from somewhere behind the counters and he tried to page the front desk person however the person never picked up and it took about 10 minutes total time before they made it to the front desk. When the lady arrived the check in process was quick and easy.

I accidently turned on the wrong side of the hotel when we went to our room so I got to drive all the way around the building. The back was a pretty bizarre place, there were several cars parked there with people, possible workers, smoking and drinking beer in the middle of the parking lot. I'm not sure if it's common practice at this hotel, I'm just glad our room was far from this area.

When we finally did get to our room we were disappointed to find a basic old style Quality Inn room with nothing fancy. It wasn't even close to the quality of the reception area. When I did my usual check up I was very disappointed and disgusted to find a cigarette burn in the bed sheets. Usually you would see cigarette burns on the comforter however this time it was in the actual bed sheets. It's a big turn off for us, especially since we booked a non smoking king room. Since it was late at night and it’s quite a challenge to repack our car and change room we just stuck with it.

The night was average at best and the price was ok however I would appreciate it if hotels would be careful about not placing cigarette burned items in non-smoking rooms.

Breakfast was packed. The selection of hot food was big however items were not being refilled quickly. People were really scraping whatever was left at the bottom of the bowls and no one was there to bring in more food.

Overall the stay was average. It was not a bad hotel however some small improvements need to be made and maybe a slight update of the rooms would be appreciated.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Pineville, Louisiana
Reviewed June 18, 2011

I needed a hotel at the last minute, and this was one of the cheaper ones in the area. I was nervous it would be cheap at a cost, but it turned out to not be bad at all. The staff was very warm, friendly, and helpful. Even thought my room was not a suite, it still had a work desk, microwave, and mini fridge. The room wasn't full of fancy decor, but it was clean, the bed was VERY comfortable, and it had Community coffee in the room instead of the cheap, tasteless coffee that is usually provided by other hotels. Although I didn't stay for breakfast, a deluxe continental breakfast was offered. The pool area was clean and required the presence of an armband to get in, which I found to be an added bonus, as you don't EVER know if who is in the pool actually is staying there. I will stay there again if I ever need to go back to the area.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Hammond, Louisiana
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Well I can say that Our Wedding went almost exactly as planned! Samantha Sharp decorated the La Veranda beautifully. Brandon Perkins made sure that all the rooms were taken care off. Madonna Phillips made sure that things ran smoothly, and was there if I need her. Last but not least, Stephanie Poole, she started the long and wonderful journey with us to plan our spectacular night. And that's what it was! I can't thank the Quality Inn enough for making our Wedding that we will never forget!
The Quality Inn and the Staff members will always be close to my heart!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Slidell, Louisiana
Reviewed April 19, 2011

We held my daughter's wedding at the hotel. The planning went very well, everything that was discussed and asked for was done, and done beautifully. The staff were excellant - they were so helpful and pleasant and did a marvelous job from decorating the La Veranda room and the Grand Ballroom, to providing delicious food for all the guests. Special thanks to Madonna Phillips, Stephanie Poole, Samantha Sharp and Brandon Perkins - I appreciate all your hard work and your hospitality. We had a fantastic time, and we thank all the staff for providing a wonderful and lasting memory for all of us!

• Stayed April 2011
hammond, Louisiana, USA
Reviewed April 11, 2011

What I experienced on Saturday night at the wedding was simply atrocious. There is no appropriate restitution for seeing my best friend cry during her wedding reception due to being treated poorly by Stephanie Poole, a Quality Inn employee.

A few other issues:
no drinks other than beer and wine for the first hour of the reception
no one serving food
once the first trays of food were empty, all other food was set out cold - refrigerator cold, not room temperature
not enough food for 100 guest, we reserved for 125
the wedding cake was not passed around, and was served with spoons
the bar tender disappeared for an hour at least
Stephanie Poole treated myself, the bride, and other guests horribly and will be named on my negative reviews - she should not be allowed to make another bride cry
the bride spent at least an hour of her wedding reception arguing with Stephanie Poole

Those are the issues I have with the reception. There was also left over food in the refrigerator in my own hotel room.

This reception was the most unorganized disarray I've experienced and it is a horrible shame that it happened to my best friend, on her wedding day. Quality Inn should do more than refund the entire cost to the bride and the many quests who rented rooms, but pay additional restitution to cover the cost of the experience she should have had on her wedding day.

I will spread the word via internet reviews, no bride or guest should be treated the way we were treated at your hotel. In my opinion, Stephanie Poole should not be in charge of anything that has anything to do with paying guests. She has an attitude that should not be acceptable. She is rude, pompous, and angry.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank wovencomplex
HOTELIER766, Owner at Magnuson Grand Hotel Hammond, responded to this review, April 18, 2011
We at the Quality Inn & Conference Center of Hammond, LA hosted a wedding of the Beretta/Guerra marriage. The wedding consists of very limited food and alcohol. We made several attempts to communicate with the bride to assure that her reception was a success. Whenever we discussed anything with her, it was always about alcohol and the bar, but never any specifics. We serviced her wedding with the best approach possible. The attendees of this reception were early drinkers including the bride and the groom. Before the ceremony began the entire wedding party had been drinking for a few hours. Couple alcohol with minimal food was a recipe for disaster. The attendees of this function were taking substantial portions of food and hence the food expired 30 minutes into the function. We provided more food at no cost to the wedding party but that was not sufficient for the reception. The attendees of this wedding were heavy Bud Light and Miller Light drinkers and with several cases of each until the point we ran out of both. If we had prior knowledge, we would have overstocked this particular brand of beer. The original liquor allowance was $500, that went quickly and it still was not sufficient for the attendees. They then approved another $300 which also went quickly. At that point, we had to go purchase more as we were prepared for $500 plus. One of the bride’s friends became verbally abusive to a member of my staff. I personally went back to the property to see what was transpiring and met with the bride and groom. The bride was apologetic for her friend’s behavior and agreed it was miscommunication between both parties and we compensated the wedding party by extending their function for our part in the miscommunication. We agreed to meet the following day to discuss their concerns. I proceeded to leave the property with what I thought was a resolution but I understand the wedding party continued to harass the personnel of the hotel using profane language. It got so bad, that it prompted a guest of ours that was not with the wedding party to contact Choice Hotels to report the incident and express how uncomfortable this made them by the wedding party. We can furnish both the guest complaint and the police report if necessary.
I am asking that the posting placed by “wovencomplex” be removed from our review page due to this person being incredibly inaccurate and the allegations stated by this person are incorrect and unfounded. We at the hotel have a police report filed against the wedding party for what transpired and an unbiased observer who witnessed what transpired. The wedding party and/or friends who posted are upset because their wedding was a disappointment due to poor planning on their part and we would not compensate them for it. The groom called me and asked me for a $1500 rebate (the total for goods & services was $3762 of which $216 has not been paid) or he would leave negative reviews. When I declined his request, that was when they decided to go forward with the attempt to ruin our reputation.