“Could do better”

Holiday Inn New Orleans West Bank Tower
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Gretna
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 5, 2013

They treated me great as I am a gold member, but the hotel is on the old side, not too close to any of the fun stuff.
I was super tired when I pulled in , I tried their hotel next, nice staff but nasty food!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
HolidayInnWestbank, General Manager at Holiday Inn New Orleans West Bank Tower, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for your business and your review. Its important to me that we treat all of our guests great and especially our gold and platinum IHG Rewards guests. I'm glad that you felt we provided you great service during your recent stay.

Sorry you felt that our hotel was on the old side of town and not near any "fun stuff." We are only a short 4 mile drive from the lively French Quarter, Port of New Orleans, and the various museums. Some travelers prefer to "not be in the thick of it" but rather me only a short drive away from all the New Orleans has to offer.

I'm not certain which hotel you tried next which you referenced in your last sentence but I'm sorry the food was not to your liking.

We know there are many lodging options in the New Orleans metro area and appreciate the fact that you chose to stay with us. We do hope on your next visit to the city that you will keep us in mind.

Very best,

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn New Orleans West Bank Tower

Reviewed August 6, 2013

A friend and I stayed here for the second half of our trip to JazzFest this year. Kind of a strange location, not really close to anything, but a very nice place! The have a restaurant downstairs that had some killer pizza and nachos, that we both really liked. Friendly staff and large, clean room. Bathroom was a little tight, but it was fine. Outdoor pool was pretty chilly, but I'm a Wisconsinite. Great parking and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Tootsie1841
HolidayInnWestbank, General Manager at Holiday Inn New Orleans West Bank Tower, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thanks so much for your business and nice review!

Wasn't Jazzfest great? We had a great time at the event and with our guests. We are very excited about Gretnafest coming up in October. We love music fests and this year Earth Wind & Fire, Chicago, and ZZ Top are all headlining. It should be a super event.

Thanks also for mentioning our nachos and pizza. They are certainly some of my favorites and are always a crowd pleaser for our great pregame parties for each Saints and LSU football games.

Keep it cool there in Wisconsin and do come back to see us again soon!!

Very Best,

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was in town this weekend for my 20th high school reunion. I really wanted to stay at a hotel downtown but it was too expensive-this was the next best option since it's only 10 minutes from downtown. I booked a single king room and it was very nice. The hotel was very clean and the staff was pleasant. My only complaint is the noise from the highway. I need complete quiet to sleep and one of my three night stay was unbearable. Luckily I brought my ear plugs! So if you're like me,bring your ear plugs or request a room on the other side of the hotel. Also I wish they served continental breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Hi Charlice,

Thanks for your business and nice review of our property.

I appreciate that you highlighted our close proximity to downtown, pleasant staff, and clean room. These are huge areas of interest when someone is booking a room online and I appreciate you highlighting our performance in these areas.

Yes, being so close to downtown, can at times mean a less than silent sleep experience. I'd like all guests to know you can certainly request a room on a quiet floor which is situated on the side opposite the city. It does make for a more sound sleep experience but you happen to lose the view of the New Orleans skyline which rivals that of our friends downtown. We also provide sleep amenities in each guestroom in order to make our sound sleepers a little more comfortable in their "home away from home."

Again, thanks so much for your business and review and we look forward to welcoming you back real soon.

At your service,

Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

If I had to redo my vacation hotel again, this one would not be at the top of my list. The hotel is hard to get to if you are from out of town and don't understand the way New Orleans highway system is. Very confusing and must take second exit from I 10 and then the immediate exit after getting onto the second exit just to get to this hotel. I thought it would be third times a charm, but not knowing there was a second exit after the immediate exit, fourth time was the charm. Hotel is located across the river and have to take a bridge to get there. The gotcha part is that you have to take the bridge back to New Orleans which is a toll bridge! I guess this is how Louisana gets their tourist by making them pay a toll, except there is no coin deposit to pay the toll. I'm expecting to receive some toll bills sometime in the near future, don't know exactly when.

Our room was somewhat spacious. Keep in mind the design of the hotel is round. Rooms lose space due to the designing of this building. Our room was next to the hotel elevator and also near the highway. We could hear the highway traffic all night and hear foot traffic from the elevator. Not only was that annoying, but hearing the condenser fan on the refrigerator was loud and seemed to get louder when we were trying to sleep. FYI, refrigerators work better with air circulation; therefore, installing them in a cabinet is probably not the smartest thing. Not having a bath mat for the tile floor when you get out of the shower isn't very safe. When trying to order room service, we couldn't find the hotel menu. Asking for a menu from the front desk representative is like asking a child for their candy. Rather than being helpful and polite, she told us to go to the restaurant and get one after arguing that it's in the book of the hotel located in the room. Water pressure for the hotel is superb along with the water temperature.

The upside was the on site restaurant. Breakfast buffet was ok, but kinda greasy. Lunch and Dinner was better, but the chicken fried steak was frozen and not fresh. The red beans and rice was descent. The Po Boys looked good. Staff is pretty friendly. Downside of this restaurant is the bar at night. The people conglomerate around the entry way of the bar and this creates groups out in the parking lot.

If this was the last place to stay for a weekend, or trip, to New Orleans, then I might stay here again. Otherwise, I will be staying at any other (even surrounding cities) location then here.

• Stayed: July 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn New Orleans West Bank Tower, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear Steveh1993,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am glad to see that you left some feed back on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. Your comments have been documented and we are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We found this property to be surprisingly a joy...The hotel is circular which makes it stand out and easy to find. You can see it from the Mississippi River bridge. The staff was awesome in every way. We had a double queen room which was very spacious...it was like having a suite without the suite...The only thing we thought needed improvement was the bathroom set up...there was no door to the vanity area but a door separated the toilet and bathtub/shower which made this area very tiny...you had to go in the room and turn to close the door...it would have been better if the door was a slider and for them to include some kind of privacy divider for the vanity area where you would have the option to leave that door open if you like by shutting the vanity area from the rest of the room. Though the property had a couple of mechanical issues, the staff's response to those issues was phenomenal. Both dryers malfunctioned on day two of our stay...the hotel volunteered to dry our clothes for FREE as a compensation. Both were back functional the very next day...however, the staff still offered to launder our clothes complimentary and hand deliver to the room upon completion!! That was BEYOND excellent customer service. Anything we needed, it was resolved expeditiously. I know where I will stay for future New Orleans trips!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
HolidayInnWestbank, General Manager at Holiday Inn New Orleans West Bank Tower, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

"Circle of Delight" - I may have to steal that one for future marketing efforts!! Thanks so much to our traveling friends from Texas for posting such a positive review regarding your recent stay. It means the world to us that you thought enough of your stay to share your opinion with the TripAdvisor community.

I especially appreciate you highlighting how easy we are to find, the unique design of our building, and the service provided by our dedicated staff. It is a joy for us to be able to serve such great folks and a responsibility we take very seriously. Our entire staff is going to be on cloud 9 when I share your comments in an upcoming team rally.

Your friends at the "Circle of Delight" are anxiously awaiting to welcome you back on your next visit to New Orleans. Please do ask for Dustin when you return so that I am able to thank you in person for a truly excellent review.

Yours in hospitality,

Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a few days and have no complaints.

The room was spacious, immaculately clean and the staff was friendly. Edward, at the front desk, is an angel. We arrived early after driving all night and were exhausted. Edward arranged for an early check in and offered suggestions on which room to pick (considering the options available).

We stayed on the third floor pool side and I would stay there again if need be. However, my suggestions are to try to get a room riverside and away from the pool and gym for optimal comfort and quiet.

We will absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: Riverside rooms away from the pool and gym would be optimal.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thanks so much for your business and your kind words Sandra! Your feedback on Edward has certainly been noted and I'll be happy to recognize his efforts at our upcoming rally.

I also would like to thank you for highlighting the size of our rooms, friendliness of our staff, and cleanliness of our rooms. These are some of the most important areas of interest for guests researching lodging options and the fact you spoke high of us in these areas really means a lot.

Again, thanks so much for your business and review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best,

Reviewed June 13, 2013

This was a 3 day stay for a family reunion. The hotel has 13 floors and we were on 5th floor. Room was nice, service pretty good for a hotel that size. Hotel dining is next door (within hotel) at a bar and grill. Breakfast was $7.95 for adults and kids eat free. Reasonable. I was told by a military person that recruits are put up at the hotel (floors 2 thru 4) so there is a lot of military personnel trafic. Not kid friendly. When we took our grandkids to the pool, the shallow end was 4 feet. All in all, a nice stay.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the front of the hotel and was pretty quiet despite the highway being right in f...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
HolidayInnWestbank, General Manager at Holiday Inn New Orleans West Bank Tower, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Good Day,

We really appreciate the opportunity to serve you and your family during your recent family reunion. I also want to send you a word of thanks for posting your review on tripadvisor.

Thanks for pointing out the great value of dining in our restaurant - The Roundhouse. We devote a lot of time to coming up with our menus and providing our guests with more than a typical hotel restaurant. I do believe that most guests find our prices and portions a great value.

I'm sorry you felt like our pool was not kid friendly. We generally get lots of compliments on the depth of our pool but I'm sorry that you felt it was too deep. For future visits I did want to point out that we have pool toys and floaties available in our giftshop if the little ones need a little help while enjoying the water.

Thanks to our location, attention to detail, and cleanliness we are blessed with a good bit of military traffic. We consider it a great honor to serve the men and women of our armed forces and take great pride in our dedication to ensuring them a comfortable home away from home. I appreciate you noticing our commitment to our soldiers.

Again, we truly appreciate your business. We know that there are many lodging options in the Greater New Orleans area and feel honored that you chose us. Please do keep us in mind if your travels bring you back to our area.

Very Best,

Dustin Floyd

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna
Central Business District
Garden District
Prytania Park
Prytania Park
#104 of 165 in New Orleans

Been to Holiday Inn New Orleans West Bank Tower? Share your experiences!