“Poor location, nice hotel”

Holiday Inn New Orleans West Bank Tower
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Gretna
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

If you have business on this side of the river, its a great place to stay. If you are a tourist without a car it would be very inconvenient. We had to have a car this trip so that was not much of a problem, except on the nights we wanted to drink. Cab fare to the French Quarter ranged from about $14-$20. Late night cabbies were also somewhat hesitant to take us back to the Westbank. The staff were polite. We were checked in quickly. The rooms were cleaned nicely each day of of our 4 night stay. I was not impressed with the breakfast offered in the adjoining restaurant. For the price we could've eaten somewhere good. We didn't repeat that mistake. Also, we were on the very top floor but could still hear traffic. I guess the earplugs provided in the room should've been a clue :)

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Erin0315
HolidayInnWestbank, General Manager at Holiday Inn New Orleans West Bank Tower, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Hi Erin,

Thanks for your business and for pointing out our great location, free parking, polite staff, and attention to cleanliness. It is our commitment to our guests that you will get our very best during each stay.

We've recently improved the breakfast bar selection due to feedback from great guests like you. We now offer rotating selections of breakfast burritos, mini pancake dogs, breakfast eggrolls, cinnamon rolls and of course traditional fare such as scrambled eggs and bacon. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and we want to make sure all of our guests start their day out right. We do hope you will give our restaurant another try during your next stay.

Your business is important to us and I do hope that shows in all we do. Again, thanks for staying with us and please do come back soon.

Very Best,

Reviewed April 21, 2013

At first sight, I was not disappointed: courteous welcome, prompt checkin, large and well appointed room, fast and free wifi. However second later I discovered that my room had a direct view of the motorway and that the windows were nowhere near to soundproof. The situation was actually worse than in some of the airport hotels with direct runway views in which I stayed in the past. Due to the hotel architecture, this may be the issue with most of the rooms, my guess is that only 4 out of 15 rooms per floor may be reasonably quiet.

Second issue: location and access. Without a car it´s very problematic and/or costly to get around; unless you get a good grasp of the schedules of the scarcely operating bus #108 which stops right behind the hotel (refer to Wilty Terminal hours when looking up timetables) and takes you to the Algiers Ferry in a matter of minutes. Expect also few or no sidewalks in the area, to get to the bus stop you need to walk on the grass between the hotel fence and the road. Same issue when getting to the shopping mall across the highway (which has a decent food court) - only a few sidewalks, no pedestrian crossing.

Third and last problem: housekeeping. Only the bed was made, but the bathroom had not been cleaned, thrash bins not emptied and upon my departure in the wee hours, elevator floor was literally filthy.

Breakfast was good though and whomever I talked to has treated my requests with smile and efficiency. However should my travels bring me back to the area, I will rather be looking to stay downtown.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in range x12-x15, those have city views (the higher floor the better) and are facing a...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Good Day,

Thanks so much for sharing your review and for our conversation via email. Its important to me that I learn from each guest's experience and your valuable feedback is going to help us to improve.

I am very thankful that you pointed out our food quality and service levels from our staff. We spend lots of time on training to ensure each of our guests gets our best service and I'm glad to know the training hours pay off.

We thank you again for your business and do hope you will choose us again in the future.

Best,

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We are a family of 4 that recently stayed there for 5 nights...The hotel was clean with the exception of the floors in the restaurant,,,they were so sticky we could hear our shoes making noise with every step we took....on the other hand the waitress we had most mornings (Lourdes) was very nice and helpful with directions to things we wanted to do....

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
HolidayInnWestbank, General Manager at Holiday Inn New Orleans West Bank Tower, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thanks for your business and for sharing review with the Tripadvisor community. We value the feedback of our treasured guests and thank you for taking time to share your opinion.

Cleanliness is of the utmost importance to us and thanks for noting how clean our property was save for the floor in our Roundhouse restaurant. We do work hard on the floors in our restaurant but due to their wood finish we must strip them in order to remove the wax buildup. I have instructed our floor tech to accomplish this right away in order that future guests don't experience issues with this area. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I will share your nice review of Lourdes with her and our entire team in an upcoming staff meeting. She really does do an excellent job of serving more than just great food. Her tips for speedy travel across the city are really invaluable to guests that seek to do it all during their visits to New Orleans.

We wish you the very best and invite you back when next your travels bring you to our area.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

The staff is great; everyone was friendly and helpful. The rooms have been renovated so they are adequate size and comfortable with ample amenities, although it would have been nice to have had hand lotion provided. I had a king room and the bed was comfortable although I am not crazy about the small pillows that seem to be the rage in the hotel industry. The room was clean and had a flat-screen TV, small refrigerator, desk, light fixtures with charging outlets, a desk, love seat and coffee table. Wifi is free throughout the hotel and the reception in the room was good. The breakfast buffet was good and the servers were very nice. There is an outdoor pool, but it is not heated. There is an exercise room, but the one treadmill was broken during my visit. There also seemed to be a plumbing issue. I assume that because we were using a government rate, that we we given rooms with a freeway view -- not a great view and you can definitely hear the highway traffic. The problem with this hotel is its location -- there is absolutely nothing within walking distance other than an Ihop. There are no restaurants, not even a drug store or grocery store within walking distance. If you do not have a car, you must get a taxi if you want to go to a restaurant or see any of the local sights. I was told by several of the locals, that it is not safe to walk alone in the areas around the hotel. During our three days in Gretna, we used four different cabs and each, to put it as tactfully as possible, was well beyond its useful life. We often wondered if these cabs would make it to the destination without breaking down. If you have business in Gretna and a rental car, this hotel may be ideal for you. However, if you want to visit the French Quarter, a hotel on the other side of the river may serve you better.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Greetings,

Thanks for your business and your very thorough review. Your detailed description certainly helps travelers make an educated decision when looking for lodging accommodations.

Our staff really does make the difference so thanks for pointing out how pleasant and helpful our folks are. We continually work on our service training so I'm happy to know we did a great job throughout our hotel and in our restaurant.

I'm sorry that you found our location somewhat inconvenient. I do hope that our staff pointed out that we are directly across the street from a major shopping mall with Dillards, JC Penny, Sears, and a large food court with many dining options. Generally, the variety of outlets available at the mall satisfy whatever needs our guest may have. There is also a grocery store and Walgreens drug store approximately 1 mile away at the next exit. I point this out simply so you will know for your next trip.

Due to your feedback regarding our cab service I am taking a hard look at what companies we do business with. Although we don't contract with any one company, the poor cars you described reflect upon us and I want to ensure our guests have the best. Rest assured we will be addressing this with area cab companies immediately.

Again, thanks so much for your business and feedback. We do hope that you will keep us in mind for future trips to New Orleans.

All the best,

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed at this hotel before a cruise, and it suited our needs just fine. The hotel has 15 rooms on each floor in a circle around the elevators. We had a lot of noise from the highway outside and the elevators inside, so it wasn't great, but it was clean, comfortable, the parking was free, and it was close to the city. It's $2 to get back over the bridge to N.O. from Gretna, but it's a quick trip. If you're looking at park and cruise, I'd recommend the Fulton Garage Rooftop Parking instead, so that you're not dependent on the shuttle.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a city view - we had a highway view that wasn't worth opening the curtains fo...
Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank AnonGuest75

Greetings,

Thanks for your business and your review. I appreciate you pointing out our free parking which is very important to cruise guests such as yourself. Also our close proximity to the Port of New Orleans really makes our property a great choice for those taking a cruise. It's even better now that there is no toll. Now guests can quickly get to the port without stopping before the bridge.

I'm sorry you experienced noise issues during your stay. Although a select number of our city view rooms do have superb views they are not the perfect option for sound sleepers due to the fact that some highway noise from the expressway is audible. Thankfully this is only the case in a small number of rooms but I understand it can be distracting. For this purpose we have placed sleep aides in the nightstand drawer of select rooms and at your request will work to move guests who would prefer a more somber sleep experience over great views of the city.

Again, thanks so much for your business and review. When again you are ready to "set sail the open sea" we do hope you will remember us for pre and post cruise lodging.

Yours in Hospitality,

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Awesome Staff...Awesome art work...Free parking other Big Easy hotels were charging $30+ to park...RoundHouse grill was good....Beds were Awesome...Skyline view was good...Very Clean and Roomy....Location was decent....

Room Tip: Shoneys Buffet is 4 blocks with more food variety than the hotel buffett
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ExcitementNow
HolidayInnWestbank, General Manager at Holiday Inn New Orleans West Bank Tower, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Greetings! Thanks so much for your truly excellent review. I really appreciate you taking the time to point out things such as our artwork. We have worked hard to assemble a collection of items that are "Uniquely New Orleans" and are thankful you noticed!!

I also thank you for pointing out our terrific skyline views. I know I am biased but I truly believe the view of the New Orleans city skyline from our upper floors rivals any in the city. If you ever have an opportunity please return when they shoot fireworks over the river - our views are downright breathtaking.

Your compliments mean so much to the entire staff - I can't wait to post the review in the back of house areas so we can cheer lead our team on a job well done. Thanks again for making that possible.

Please do ask for Dustin during your next stay so I can meet and thank-you in person for such a spectacular review.

Very Best,

Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is a very clean & roomy hotel . Entrance to the hotel nice & VERY CLEAN . Shining floors were all around. Very clean hotel restrooms for clients on the main floor immaculately kept. The Very Unique style of the hotel provides great space on the inside of the rooms.Lots of space to stretch out in . Nice bath amenities. Nice vanity area , but toilet a litle tight in w/ the shower , but certainly "do-able". Check in was a breeze & some clients arriving earlier were able to get their room prior to check in.
We had 2 groups here on 3/22/13 & 3/23/13. All guests loved their rooms & enjoyed traveling via ferry to the french quarter &enjoying the mall & local restaurant's nearby, Cafe du Monde is just across the street near the Sears entrance & there are several restaurants in the food court. Ihop across the street by the mall. My only complaint was the restaurant. I don't think they are able to handle sold out hotels & the food requirements needed for so many people.
The black gentleman @ the front desk in the evening was so kind & helpful , he was the most courteous employee there , working & working to cater to his customers in a very professional manner.
Not all clients were instructed to sign the book to park car their for the length of the trip ; but we were assured that all cars would be fine. The office center area needs to have computers available. Was needing to print up some last minute documents for our clients & had only 1 working computer. No one could do anything w/ the other
one , which appears to have been broken.
Janine in sales deserves a commendation for a job well done w/ our group's hotel accommodations !!

Room Tip: Request a room facing the river,
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TravelRN1129
HolidayInnWestbank, General Manager at Holiday Inn New Orleans West Bank Tower, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Well let me start with The Holiday Inn New Orleans Westbank LOVES South Seas travel!

We love our "cruisers" and your group was truly excellent. I thank you for pointing out our great amenities such as our free parking, great location near the mall / ferry terminal, and spacious guest rooms. What truly sets us apart is our excellent staff that work very hard to ensure everything "sparkles" and that our guests have a wonderful time while enjoying all that our wonderful city has to offer.

I am disappointed that your group experienced challenges with our restaurant. We have taken your feedback very seriously and increased our weekend staffing and improved our management coverage in order to ensure future guests have a more flawless f&b experience.

Janine is a true gem and we are so lucky to have her here. After your follow-up phone call recently Janine organized a F&B process improvement team to fix some of the challenges you brought up. I am confident with her leading the way we will quickly address some of the opportunities you brought up.

Our cruise business is growing and it's thanks to guests like you and your word of mouth advertising. We appreciate that more than you know and take the responsibility of providing excellent accommodations at a value price very seriously. We know you have many options in New Orleans and thank you for choosing us.

We look forward to welcoming you again very soon and hope to have the privilege of wishing you and your guests Bon Voyage as you set out on another fantastic cruise in the near future.

Yours in Hospitality,

Dustin Floyd

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna
Central Business District
Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome
Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome
#89 of 167 in New Orleans
Arts District / Warehouse District
Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Convention Center

Been to Holiday Inn New Orleans West Bank Tower? Share your experiences!