Holiday Inn New Orleans West Bank Tower
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Gretna
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed from Oct 26th - Oct 29th at the Holiday Inn in Gretna. Check in was extremely easy and we were allowed to check in early. That was a nice perk since we had been in a car for 8 hours. The room was a nice size and was clean. Some of the furnishing had seen better days and there were stains and tears on lamp shades and the ottoman. The bathroom was also clean, but the room with the shower was very small. I had asked for a room with a city view, but was given a room near the expressway. The noise level from the expressway was very bothersome to us. If we had not been as tired as we were, I'm not sure how much sleep we would have gotten. We did not eat breakfast in the attached restaurant after we saw what was being offered for the price. We decided to go down the street to another restaurant. We did appreciate when we had our Do Not Disturb sign on the door that we were not bothered. The only other small issue was that the ice machine was not working on our floor and when I called the front desk I was told to try another floor. Our check out was very easy as well. The area was not easy to drive around. Over all I think next time we would pay the extra money to stay on the other side of the river.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the expressway
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank angimus72
HolidayInnWestbank, General Manager at Holiday Inn New Orleans West Bank Tower, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Thanks for your review of your recent stay with us. I am happy that our staff was able to accommodate your early check-in request after your long car ride. We work hard to make our "home" ready for you as quickly as possible in order that you can take a load off and enjoy all that the city has to offer. Regrettably, it sounds as though in order to satisfy your request you were given a room city-side which admittedly does have more noise than most of our other rooms. It also sounds like you got a room that needed more TLC from our staff before being made guest ready. We take very seriously our room prep and inspections and I am going to get to the bottom of why you were given a room that was not 100% guest ready prior to being "turned over" in the system. You deserve our very best and sadly this seems to be a time where we fell short. For that I apologize and invite you to contact me so we can discuss the issues further.

Guest satisfaction is my #1 priority. I invite all of our guests to reach out to me via my personal cellphone number listed in each guest room directory. I consider it a pleasure to speak with our guests and will do all in my power to ensure an excellent stay.

Thanks again for your review and for your business. We hope to again have the pleasure of serving you in the future.

At your service,

Reviewed November 1, 2012

The exterior, the lobby and the passages are clean and nice. The room was sufficiently large for two person that we were and was very clean and comfortable. If you have business in Baton Rough or such places then this is an ideal place to stay in. A bit far from Bourbon Street and French Quarters, ay $20 per ride to Downtown but nice ride. Walmart only a couple of miles away and well stocked and value for money.

The Round House Bar and Grill is a good place to chill out in. Its moderately priced, large helping coupled with great service is its asset. Definitely worth a visit if youre staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Insist on complimentary breakfast. It will make your day.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

I loved your picture outside our of our Roundhouse restaurant! Thanks so much for taking the time to highlight our location and the benefits of our on-site restaurant, The Roundhouse. We take our portions very seriously and are glad you found them to be a great value. I eat at our restaurant every day and I am yet to tire of our selection or portion size. I do hope you got to try our chicken fried steak, it's my favorite item on the menu. Ummm Chicken Fried Steak - Ok, sorry, I got lost in daydreams of chicken fried steak and white gravy, back to your review.

You covered an issue that is a HUGE deal to me, the appearance of our public space. Thanks so much for mentioning they were clean and nice. Ms. Carliss, our lobby ambassador does a terrific job of keeping our place looking tip-top and I'll mention to her you thought enough of the space to cover it in your review.

We do hope to see you on your next trip to the New Orleans area. Maybe we can catch-up and I'll have the opportunity to thank you in person and we can sit down to some Chicken Fried Steak in the Roundhouse! :)

Take good care,

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I travel a lot of work and find there are a few things that I regard as important. 1) Friendliness of staff, 2) cleanliness, 3) safety and 4) Parking. This was the first time I have stayed at this hotel and wanted to say that the hotel is older but nice and clean. The staff was super friendly. We felt safe and there was plenty of parking. We did not try the restaurant or bar and did not use any of the amenities such the excercise room, pool or sauna.

Over all it was great. Will stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank dpaul76

I am so excited to get such a great review from a savvy traveler. It thrills me that you took the time to highlight our great staff, clean rooms, and free parking. These are all areas where I believe we do truly shine. It's easy for us to provide these sort of accommodations when we get to serve great guests, such as yourself.

After the safety of our guests, the single most important issue to me is the cleanliness of our rooms. If you can't feel confident in a hotel's cleanliness then there is a huge problem. Thankfully this is an area where we excel and you pointing that out will certainly make my housekeeping staff feel great. I will make sure to recognize that team during our next all employee meeting.

Thanks so much for your very nice review and your business. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Very clean hotel and room. The room was large typical hotel room. Food ( room service) was excellent and great price. Parking safe. Price was too high for hotel. Would be excellent hotel at $140.00-150. But I guess due to lack of hotels in Gretna they can get prime price. Will either neg. lower price next time or stay somewhere else. If you are looking for clean this is your place.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from interstate. Could hear traffic all night.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kairos444
HolidayInnWestbank, General Manager at Holiday Inn New Orleans West Bank Tower, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Thanks for your business and for your review. I very much appreciate you highlighting the cleanliness of our rooms, safety of our parking, and quality of our food service. Our staff works very hard and it means the world when a guest goes out of their way to tell us they noticed and appreciate our efforts.

I understand your frustration with the costs of accommodations in the New Orleans metropolitan area. Unfortunately, at certain times of year due to large citywide conventions our prices do fluctuate up. I do wholeheartedly believe that if you compared our rates with those offered in the CBD you would find us a fantastic value. Not only are our rates generally lower we offer free parking and internet as well. These are perks not typical of all hotels in the city.

Regardless, I am certainly taking your feedback under advisement and we will certainly review it when setting future rate strategies with our corporate office. It is of the utmost importance to us that we are able to provide excellent accommodations at affordable rates. These are some of the founding principals of the Holiday Inn brand and we always work to keep that in mind.

Again, thanks so much for your business. There are many options in the greater New Orleans area and the fact that you chose us really means a lot. We will continue to work our hardest to win your business in the future.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

When the A/C in your home goes out, it is bad. When it goes out in July, it is very bad. When you live in New Orleans, it is a nightmare! With an elderly person to care for, we started looking for a hotel to rescue us. The Holiday Inn on the West Bank was there for us. It was, of course, a last minute reservation but when we arrived, they were ready for us. The front desk staff was welcoming and helpful. They were handling many different tasks while checking in guests. We were checked in with no delays or waiting. The room was large, clean, and had a pull out sofa.
Time for dinner, we went downstairs to the restaurant on the property. We found a large, dimly lit restaurant with plenty of tables, booths, and bar tables. We were greeted and seated promptly. The menu offered basic food for reasonable prices. Mom ordered a burger with all the trimmings and I had the club sandwich. We were served large portions and were very happy with the preparation. The waitress was so friendly and professional, she checked back with us frequently to make sure we had everything we needed. When I got mom back upstairs and settled, I went back down to the bar for a drink. The young woman who was attending bar was incredible. She was able to make drinks, chat with guests, deliver orders, and check IDs with a winning smile and friendly attitude. The service and food were so impressive that I have returned to the bar for a relaxing break after work in a smoke-free environment. With the awesome service, great prices for food and drinks, and convenient location it would be a great place for locals, as well as tourist to enjoy a pleasant New Orleans experience.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Honeebee2
HolidayInnWestbank, General Manager at Holiday Inn New Orleans West Bank Tower, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2012

Excellent! Let me tell you Honeebee2, your review brought a gigantic smile to my face. This is exactly what we are in the business for. We truly thank you for your business and your kind words!

I especially thank you for highlighting your very positive experience with our restaurant "The Roundhouse." We work very hard to not be your "typical hotel restaurant" but to be a place that people seek out when planning a trip to our area. Our portions are huge and a value that is unmatched. I just came from the restaurant and all the tvs are tuned into the Saints game and gameday specials are flying from the kitchen. I'd like to invite you back to watch sporting events with us, we generally have a great crowd and always have excellent specials.

I will post your very kind review in our back of house areas and also cover during an upcoming rally so the entire staff can reflect on a job well done.

Again, thanks for your business and your review and we look forward to welcoming you back real soon!

Yours in hospitality,

Reviewed September 7, 2012

Dates: 8/24/12 - 8/26/12

I chose this hotel due to location - close enough to downtown, without being actually downtown. I got a killer rate on Priceline $62/night. For the price, it was well worth it.

The room was large and clean. Only problem is that Priceline booked me into a King/Smoking. I asked for a non-smoking and they had some Doubles, but no King. We said the King was ok. In retrospect, we should have taken the other room. It really did smell like smoke... dingy old smoke, with perfume/chemical smell covering it up. My clothes sucked in the smell so fast, I elected to keep my suitcase all zipped up until we left. Just a minor problem, and they DID offer me a Double room... so I sort of blame myself.

Room had a fridge & coffee pot. Bathroom was clean. Didn't use the pool, so I can't comment. Staff was very nice.

We didn't eat in the restaurant, but I did get some beers from the bar to take to my room. Happy hour, they were way cheap!

We asked the guy at the desk where a good place to eat was and he gave us a few recommendations. We wanted some good seafood, reasonably priced... He said "Perino's" down the street was good. We went there, I loved the shrimp and dungeness crab. SO SO good... Sort of a bar on one side with a big cafeteria looking side on the other, with tables to eat on.

Overall, it was a good stay especially for the price!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jannster
HolidayInnWestbank, General Manager at Holiday Inn New Orleans West Bank Tower, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Thanks for your business and your review of our property.

I am very sorry that your Priceline room reservation was not for the room type you preferred. We believe it is important to cater to all of our guests so a small percentage of our hotel is made up of smoking rooms. The fact that your room had a smoke odor is troubling as we do go through a multi-step process to work to eliminate the odor. I'll work with our housekeeping department to ensure we are doing everything possible to eliminate the smoke odor so future guests aren't forced to experience the same problem.

Thanks also for visiting our Round House Grill & Bar. We do have some terrific happy hour specials and with out gameday menu and multiple TVs its a great spot to catch the Saints, Tigers, or whatever sporting event that interests you.

Finally, I am very glad our dining recommendation was well received. Our staff is quizzed on a regular basis to ensure we have recommendations at the ready and are well versed at the wide variety of great dining options that New Orleans is known for. I'll pass along the fact that Perinos was a great spot for seafood.

Please do keep us in mind the next time travels bring you to our area!

At your service,

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Stayed during Essence music festival. It was only 10 min drive away from all the the activities. But hotel prices were inflated around that time, but their prices remained reasonable. Paid a $20 extra to have breakfast included with our stay and it was worth it since it was a hot breakfast and going to IHOP for 5 days would have been much more expensive. The hotel is fairly new, so the cleanliness and decor was among the best and I was pleasantly surprised. The room was quite large as well. I didn't stay on the riverside so the view was just of the city and highway but it was still fine. There was security at night, customer service was great, everyone was polite. The beds were very comfortable. There was a fridge in the room but the microwave was in the lobby, but I didn't need to use it anyway. But if I did a quick elevator ride to heat my food would have been just fine. The pool area was a little small, but I was too busy with the festival to use that either...The hotel was just great. I would definitely come back and stay again.

Note that downtown parking can be expensive so plan for it.

Room Tip: Ask for a riverside room to improve your view, if it matters.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank summertimefun

Thanks for your business and excellent review of our hotel! We pride ourselves on providing a clean, safe, comfortable, stay at an excellent value and are so proud you agree. As you highlighted our free parking and close proximity to downtown are great selling points for our property.

Thanks for bringing up our "Best for Breakfast" rates which include our hot breakfast in the rate. It truly is an excellent value and our breakfast can't be beat. I'm getting hungry as I type so I predict one of our signature waffles is in my immediate future.

We hope to see you again for Essence next year, or even earlier if your plans allow! Thanks again so much for your business. We realize there are many hotel options in the New Orleans metro area and are honored you picked us.

Dustin Floyd

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna
Arts District / Warehouse District
Hampton Inn & Suites Convention Center
Central Business District
Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome
Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome
#83 of 166 in New Orleans

Been to Holiday Inn New Orleans West Bank Tower? Share your experiences!