“Great Buffet!”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Great Buffet!”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Probably the best Chinese buffet in the New Orleans area. They also feature some Louisiana dishes. Everything is fresh, staff competent and friendly. They also do a senior discount (over 65).

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank cockney007

New Orleans, Louisiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“awesome dim sum for location”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Having moved here from Houston, I've had my fair share of dim sum. Panda King is the only decent place in New Orleans with good dim sum! I went on a Sunday (which was SUPER packed) and they have a decent amount of dim sum variety, hit all the good stuff! They were a bit slow on pushing the food though, but again it was rush hour time I guess. I also took a glance at their buffet, and it is way bigger than your average little Chinese buffet place (will probably go try). And as an architect, and couldn't help but appreciate the many details people miss, and for a simple Chinese restaurant, I can tell they spent extra on the construction. Good Job! Will definitely come back for more.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank mango1268
New Orleans
“BUGS!!!”
Reviewed June 2, 2011

My family and I used to frequent Panda King because of the convenience, value (as buffets go) and the variety, as we each have different tastes. A year ago we went, we dined, and when they brought out the "bill", there were these weevils crawling all over the tiny plastic tray that holds your bill. I immediately asked to speak to the manager who informed me that they originated from the tree outside. I called him a lair, knowing well that these weevils come in rice, not trees! Regretfully, I haven't been back since on this basis: If they can't control a simple thing such as rice weevils, what ELSE is crawling around due to obvious neglect??

• Visited July 2010
2 Thank SpicyCajun
“STAY Away!!!”
Reviewed August 23, 2010

My family and I went to Panda King for dim sum one Sunday and it was the worst dim sum I ever had. The dumpling was soggy and salty....we tried almost everything that they had on the cart that looked somewhat edible but we were truly disappointed from beginning to the end. After sampling about 3 different things everyone in my family looked at each other and knew we just made a huge mistake coming in.....instead we should have gone over to eat pho noodles that is located in the same shopping strip. If eating bad dim sum was not enough to ruined our Sunday, when the bill came we saw a charge for water and inquired with the waiter and low and behold......no this is not a mistake!!! THEY CHARGE YOU 75 cents FOR WATER per person for tap water......IN AMERICA... My family and I are foodies and we eat out a lot but never in our lives have we ever came across such total rip off, if you are going to charge 75 cents for water it had better be from a bottle is all we could say. This is a hidden charge because when we ordered water they did not say "oh their is a charge for water" they just put it on the check at the end. The chinese owner of this Panda King must think he/she is operating this restaurant in CHINA......this is AMERICA and tap water is never charged.

There are better places to eat a great meal.....stay away from this restaurant unless you're looking for bad dim sum and wants to pay for tap water.

4 Thank Chocon
Memphis. TN
“good dim sum in new orleans”
Reviewed September 29, 2009

On a recent trip to New Orleans, we were treated out to dim sum on a Sunday by some friends who live in the area. They said that this place called Panda King was new. When we arrived, I noticed that the restaurant was actually split into two sections. One was called Panda King buffet (presumably for the american palates) and one was called Panda King fine dining. This is one of my pet peeves about dining in some chinese restaurants. They often have hidden menus for the Asian customers and leave the unauthentic and generic menu for the Americans. On weekends, they serve dim sum in carts. The place was particularly busy and full of chinese people which is a good sign when going to an Chinese restaurant. We sampled numerous things and had the classic dim sum standards. Everything was very well prepared and flavorful except the sui mai which were hard. The wrapping was too thick and rubbery. Wait staff was very friendly and helpful.

2 Thank bw2082

Been to Panda King? Share your experiences!