“Lovely place to visit”

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Lovely place to visit”
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

We went to The Famous Blacksmiths Shop because we were given a brass plate someone had bought from there years before and it interested us to see the history. I telephoned and spoke to a lovely gentleman called Frank and he told me about a special blessing they do called handfasting. We had this blessing the day after we married nearby and it was such a lovely way to end our wedding celebrations. It is quite a tourist spot but is deffo worth a visit and it is a nice place to wed or be blessed. We will visit again and all the staff were lovely :)

• Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Rude and unpleasant. Avoid at all costs”
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

We stopped in here quite by accident on our way through to Manchester. There was quite a selection of Scottish wares but prices were at a premium. The cafeteria was pretty poor but what horrified me was the unbelievable rudeness of the staff at this place. They were loud and obnoxious to one of my friends refusing the accept perfectly valid British 50 pound notes. The way she spoke to her was totally unnecessary and left a pretty sour taste to an otherwise wonderful stay in Scotland. I would avoid this place at all costs

1 Thank Audrey G
Stanford le Hope, England, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Museum very good”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed going round the museum which was very interesting and well set out. The souvenir was good but the rest of the area was extremely busy probably due to the arrival of some coaches.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Colin E
Retford, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“reduction of rating”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

For many years I have travelled between Scotland and England and Gretna Green has always been our favourite shopping centre. We always headed to the Blacksmiths Shop to get gifts and have been very pleased with the service we have received. On Saturday I called in at the Blacksmiths shop and bought some items.I was served by a friendly and efficient assistant When I reached my destination I noticed that the price of two items was higher on the till receipt than on the items. When returning home I went back to the Blacksmiths shop and explained. The assistant said that the till price was correct but asked us to wait. After some to-ing and fro-ing we were refunded the amount we had been overcharged. When I asked for explanation I was told they were old stock and should have been repriced as other stock would be. I asked how could they justify increasing the price of old stock the assistant politely pointed out that I had been refunded. I said I felt that this was very a very unfair and although she remained polite she didnt seem to understand what I meant, kind though she was. I feel very saddened that a popular tourist attraction, which represents Scotland not only to the UK but also to the rest of the world should use such a dubious practice.I write this not to be nasty but to warn others of the practice. Had I bought gifts on the way home it would have been difficult to return and in my case the amount was only £2 so hardly wort it. It could have been much more though. I still love Gretna Green but am very disappointed about this practice

Visited March 2014
West Midlands, United Kingdom
81 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 125 helpful votes
“Gretna Green Stop-off”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Stopped off here twice on the way to & from Scotland recently.Didn't go in the museum but enjoyed browsing through the shops & ate in the restaurant on both occasions.Had a large bowl of hearty soup with bread roll & butter for only £3.75.There is plenty of seating & a bar if you fancy a drink.Plenty of things to photograph,including various romantic statues.Pleasant place to visit.

Visited February 2014