“A. Bourdain doesn't lie”
Review of Pho Tau Bay Restaurant - MOVED

Pho Tau Bay Restaurant
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Vietnamese cuisine was not what I went to New Orleans for but it was a diversion worth taking. I noted Pho Tau Bay from Anthony Bourdain's Layover show and my traveling companions were very keen to go.

The location of this gem betrays the quality hidden inside, though it didn't appear to throw the local intelligentsia off the mark because the lunch crowd was abuzz. So make sure your GPS works if you don't already know how to get there. We were 3 people, but ate for 6 because it was so good! Happiness came in summer rolls, soups, sandwich, noodle and rice dishes.

Memorable and repeatable!

There are newer reviews for Pho Tau Bay Restaurant

Reviewed April 1, 2013

If you are Vietnamese or you are looking for authentic Pho, this is not the place. The broth tasted nothing like pho, noodle was still stringy and too much. The meat was cut thick and stale and the whole thing was not hot enough to cook the fresh vesgetable.

Nếu bạn là người Vn, đừng có tin vào những cái lời chỉ dẫn trên Trip Advisor

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I've heard of this place for years on TV and the 'net and finally found myself in the area. The strip mall location is downbeat, but inside are nice granite tabletops, awesome food, and friendly folks.

We had the pho, bun with viet eggrolls, and pork banh mi. I eat pho wherever I go, and this was very good. Delicate and flavorful broth. The young lady who served us was nice, and we very much enjoyed talking with the owner's son as we checked out. He told us about his grandfather having several restaurants in Vietnam and coming to Louisiana and starting this great place. Very nice fellow.

This is along perhaps the longer route from New Orleans to home, but we will take it again so we can have some more of that pho.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

PROS: free parking, service was friendly, food came out quick, food is inexpensive, the flat vermicelli with grilled pork is probably the best item on their menu and I order it all the time, also tried the beef stew with carrots and bread which was also good

CONS: the restaurant is in a somewhat desolate area (but it's not dangerous...just could use some upgrade), we also ordered a pho with beef and pork balls and it did not look fresh...had a greenish color to the beef which my party refused to eat.

OVERALL: the food is usually very good and consistant, but our last trip there had a slip-up the pho dish so I hope they're more aware of this in the future

1  Thank wendy5o4
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I am not a fan of Vietnamese food, but I very willing to be now. I was introduced to Pho Tau Bay by my great nephew's wife, who is of Vietnamese decent. The decor and surroundings of the restaurant are very basic, but the taste of the food is phenomenal. The staff was friendly and helpful.