Phong Nha Lake House Resort
Victory Road Villas(Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park)
Thuong Hai Hotel(Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park)
$11
$10
Sea Star Resort(Dong Hoi)
$53
Agoda.com
Phong Nha Farmstay(Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park)
  • Pool
Phong Nha River View(Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park)
Happy Hotel(Ky Anh)
Ban Mai Hotel(Dong Hoi)
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
All reviewsphong nhadong hoibungalow roomnational parkfree kayaksswimming poolparadise cavemain buildinghired a scooterloved our stay herenice poolgreat place to staylocal cavesbeautiful spottrain ticketsamazing locationair con
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

I loved this pace in the pictures and it was as beautiful when I got there. So the view lived up to my expectations.

The staff was extremely friendly. I was happy with that as well.

But, I am not advising this to people I meet. The reasons:
- it seems they are not yet used to having customers. If you want a drink or something to eat, they won't notice you lookig for them. I had to go up to them all the time to order something.
- I left for a daytour and left them with the key to my locker for safety reasons. When I came back at the end of the day, I found out they gave it to somebody else. They could've taken all my valuable stuff, if I didn't use my own lock as well. This is a very bad thing, imo.
- they promised me the laundry to be back the next day. When I asked, they just told me: no, you get it another day later. So I couldn't change into other clothes and I had to get up at six so I could pack my bag before the bus arrived.
- The dorms are made out of bamboo. Looks amazing, but a great place for mice to hide. So they did. You heard them all the time. Normally I am scared of them, but it didn't feel scary. They were in the bamboo, not inside the hut.

So I believe this can turn into an amazing place, once they professionize.

Another positive: they really do want to help and try their best. They helped me in a great way to get a trainticket.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Sas T
Reviewed February 4, 2014

The view is absolutely stunning, the lady who owns the hotel and her staff are so helpful and friendly, the rooms are simple but gorgeous, the food served at the hotel is ridiculously tasty and very reasonable. As is the wine and beer! The seafood is locally caught so fresh - I strongly recommend that you try! The Phong Nha-Ke Bang national park is worth a trip. Go to the caves and the turquoise rivers. You can hire bikes from the hotel for 200,000 dong. This is thee best way to get around and see all the small traditional Vietnamese villages which are a short trip down the road. Our bike did however break down, but we pushed it a mere 100 meters and quickly found a helpful mechanic. It turned out to be one of the most memorable experiences as we shared pictures with the local children and jokes with the families. For 50,000 dong we were well on our way again. And with a few more memories and friends.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Caitlin V
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

-picked us up from train station at 6 in morning, meant to arrive at 4.30 but they waited! Let us check into room at 7am because it was available and we were very grateful for this!
-room was really nice, with decent bed, mosquito net, and big bathroom.
-breakfast is not included which is disappointing as it is in most other places. The restaurant is open from 7 and you can have breakfast at any time though. (More on food later)
-they booked a tour of caves for us, we did the national park one. First cave, phong nha, was a water cave, which was amazing! Then we had lunch, which was fine. Then the Eco walk-this is a 10 min walk through some trees to the water. The water is beautiful though, but just wish they had told us to bring our swim stuff!! Then onto paradise cave which is a dry cave, huge inside but just not as cool as phong nha.
-staff was all extremely friendly. Patrick was more than helpful and we tended to deal with him more as the girls English is not at a great standard. They are lovely girls though.
-the area was beautiful, overlooking the lake. We took bikes and went for a cycle around the dirt roads, and people all saying hello!
-Our huge negative-the food! It was extremely average and below. On one evening I ordered the chicken Kiev which they seemed to make the effort to make themselves but..inside instead of garlic there was bacon which cheese inside. Not only that, but after I started eating I realised that the chicken was still raw!! I brought it back straight away and had fries instead. Patrick apologised and I obviously wasn't charged for it. But I could have easily got food poisoning. The next morning I ordered an omelette and it also had to be sent back to be cooked again. Im generally not 1 to complain in a restaurant but they are some things that have to be reported.
Also the food was generally very slow, with or without a crowd.
To the staff- you need to hire a professional chef!
Another year or so and this will be the place to go!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank eithne7
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Phong Nha is a very beautiful region and this place sits amongst it with a million dollar view overlooking a stunning lake.

The place offers dorm accommodation and also private bungalow style rooms with a large dining / common area upstairs. Others have mentioned that it is still a building site to a degree - fair comment but it seriously does not detract as all the guest services, restaurant are complete and of a good quality, in fact there are so many positives there that you hardly notice and you can see what has been achieved.

It was so relaxing sitting outside each night with the fire blazing chatting to people from all the world looking at the lake. We went on a pleasant hour or so walk through a neighboring village with a somewhat dodgy map, but we made it back.

The Lakehouse arranged our tour to the caves via the visitor centre and it was a great tour - the local guide had a good command of English, the tour was informative, interesting and the lunchtime stop and local food was outstanding! The caves are as great as is written up by many people on different forums.

Tony and Tham are terrific hosts, really easy to get on with and nothing is too much trouble and the staff are really nice, very friendly and always trying to oblige. It was lovely meeting you all and good luck with your plans and we hope to return and see this amazing place / project finished. We will definitely be recommending the lakehouse!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Deejay2012
Reviewed January 17, 2014

A very beautiful lake house although getting here by public transport is difficult. We opted for a tour with a separate company (cheaper) and they dropped us back to the Lake House. On arrival we were shown to our rooms and warmly invited back to the bar. We stayed in dorms of 4 with very big beds and mosquito nets. Ladies shower/toilets were in good condition. Food was excellent but a little more than we would usually pay. They kindly arranged for a local bus (heading to Hue) to pick us up the next day.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple