“Hang Tien 1 Day!”
Review of Oxalis Adventures

Oxalis Adventures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Oxalis Adventure Tours is organizing trekking tours below:- Trekking to Hang En (Swalow cave) the same system with Hang Son Doong (Son Doong cave) the world's biggest cave.- Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park Tour- Trekking to Tu Lan cave system, Hang Ken cave, Hung Ton cave system- Kayaking tour to 1500m inside Phong Nha Cave- And other special adventure tours. Oxalis is socialized in caving adventure, trekking, and jungle camping, Oxalis is working with Howard Limbert - the BCRA expedition team leader who found Son Doong cave to do caving education, training and cave exploration. Quang Binh is the best place for caving in Vietnam and in the region, best Vietnam Caves, and World largest cave Hang Son Doong
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed September 7, 2016 via mobile

Really great day out exploring Hang Tien cave! They provided hotel pickup and drove us into Phong Nha National Park! Once we were all kitted out at the Oxalis office in the park we drove another 20/30 minutes to start our trek. The jungle walk is beautiful, hilly and at times you will be slipping and sliding along, but the guides were very helpful and stopped for drinks along the way! Bring plenty of insect repellant!!! The cave itself is beautiful and has only recently been opened to the public. The cave is huge and it's exciting to go through it with your head torches - (it's not like Paradise Cave with all the tourist lighting). After exploring the cave we made our way out and trekked a little further to a river (which we were able to swim across) and then stopped for lunch at a camp. Great food, a selection of grilled meats and veg, plenty for everyone! After lunch we went back across the river and started our trek back- this part was quite uphill! One tip- use your own shoes if you can (the thicker the sole the better- trainers are completely fine). I used their shoes which you can pick up at their HQ and it was like wearing converse so it wasn't ideal. All in all it was a great day out, the whole group was exhausted by the end but we'll worth the scenery and experience! Professional and friendly staff!

4  Thank MegGeb17
Write a ReviewReviews (1,127)
All reviews
in 11 reviews
"great company"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed September 5, 2016

I completed the Tu Lan 3 day cave adventure in July 2016. More than enough has been stated about how beautiful it is and how Oxalis is a good company. So I just want to post the things that I wish I knew beforehand.

Whats the difference between Tu Lan and Hang En? The sleeping in Hang En is all inside the cave, like the pictures on the Oxalis site. While for Tu Lan we slept at various outdoor spots, which were beautiful and a real highlight but not what i had expected. Tu Lan also was a lot of time spent outdoors between caves going from one to another while Hang en sounded like you dont really leave the cave once you enter.

I thought I was going to be on a trip packaged for visitors, but i turned out to be the only westerner on my trip-the other campers; the guide; the porters and cooks- which made the experience extremely fun, different and cool. Tons of people i met on the way out to Hanoi were also Vietnam. Glad to see this experience is something not just for tourists but for Vietnam residents.

The treks are not particularly physically intensive. I never felt exhausted or anything which is contrarian to how they're sold.

The big piece of chance here is both who you'll be on the trek with and who the guide will be. Our guide, while a nice guy from Vietnam with a solid level of English, seemed to struggle throughout with communicating information to us from the start. Maybe it was a language barrier but he also wasn't very knowledgable about the caves formations and much history there. Seemed like he had just memorized a few facts and speeches to give.

Dont blindly trust the guide for your pictures. Our guide Seven fancied himself as an amazing photographer. He would frequently ask us to stop and to borrow our cameras and pose for 20 minutes without moving so he could do `special light photography` that I guess he'd seen some national geographic guys do on a trip. Suffice to say, these were some of the absolute worst photos any human has ever spent time taking. They were blurry and pointed at the floor of a great tall cave. Oh wow they were mesmerizingly terrible. Dont expect something magic like on the website. None of them were even usable.

Footwear. Oxalis gives converse type shoes for the water but its not required to wear them. My feet were pretty sore with these shoes and I couldn't have worn them another day. It rained during our trek and i didn't feel super comfortable walking up slippery rocks in shoes Id never put on before. I should've packed my own shoes in the bag for the porter as a backup. as for the packing last, dont go overboard and dont sweat not having the crazy socks they ask for. just bring one quick dry long sleeve shirt; quick dry pants which you can get in Saigon or Hanoi markets for 5 -10 bucks.

But I am excited to go back with oxalis on another tour should i make it back to Vietnam

2  Thank HowaboutthatBG
Reviewed September 1, 2016

We have used Oxalis twice, one in 2015 to go to Hang Én and this year to go to Hang Tien. Last year we new what to expect as we read some reviews but this year we took one of the new tours. The experience was something unexpected, I thought it will be something basic but the guys from Oxalis went way over my expectations. The setup in the camp was the same or better than in Hang En. "King", our tour guide, was always looking for our safety and at the same time was fun. I can recommend Oxalis for any expedition. We are looking to do a third expedition and we will do it with Oxalis.

1  Thank RonaldFC
Reviewed August 31, 2016 via mobile

Did the 2day Hang Va expedition with my husband with a group of 6. Well organised and friendly guides led by Phuong. There was quite a bit of bouldering and the shoes provided didn't provide much ankle support but the guides were always attentive in helping me through tricky spots. The caves were amazing- really glad we had this experience and would definitely recommend it!

1  Thank Lara B