“Incredible, once in a lifetime experience!”
Review of Oxalis Adventures

Oxalis Adventures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Oxalis Adventure Tours is organizing trekking tours below:- Trekking to Hang En (Swalow cave) the same system with Hang Son Doong (Son Doong cave) the world's biggest cave.- Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park Tour- Trekking to Tu Lan cave system, Hang Ken cave, Hung Ton cave system- Kayaking tour to 1500m inside Phong Nha Cave- And other special adventure tours. Oxalis is socialized in caving adventure, trekking, and jungle camping, Oxalis is working with Howard Limbert - the BCRA expedition team leader who found Son Doong cave to do caving education, training and cave exploration. Quang Binh is the best place for caving in Vietnam and in the region, best Vietnam Caves, and World largest cave Hang Son Doong
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage
Reviewed September 12, 2015

We opted for a 2day, 1 night trek to visit the Tu Lan caves and stay in a hammock next to a waterfall; to say it was phenomenal is an understatement of understatements!! Oxalis and our guides, Bamboo and Lynn were excellent, in conjunction with all the porters etc that met and cooked for us at the campsites!
You MUST visit Phong Nha if going to Vietnam and must do a tour with Oxalis before it becomes too touristy and is spoilt. Oxalis are the only company that offer the tours and respect the jungle and caves in which you explore!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,129)
All reviews
in 11 reviews
"great company"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed September 10, 2015 via mobile

As the title says: This was one of the best experiences we have ever had during any of our holidays! I'll try to give comments in a chronological order, all of them very positive!

1. We booked our trekking on their website, which looks really professional. The office replies very fast and accurately, you immediately have the feeling you are working with professionals. The treks are a bit dependend on the wheather circumstances and due to rainy season starting in September, some treks are not available anymore. We actually changed the itinerary of our holiday just to be able to experience the trekking.

2. Pick-up at hotel of choice. You get picked up with a mini van by the guides accompanying you during the trek. They were enthousiastic from the start and were excellent at breaking the ice when you first meet. Then they take you to their headquarters where the treks start. It's a 1.5h drive, but during the drive they explained a lot about the national park and its wildlife, which made it fun!

3. Security check at their headquarters. They give you all of the necessary info before you leave for the trek to stay safe and enjoy the experience. You get all of the equipement you need (helmet, light etc). The things you need to bring yourself, you can find on the website.

4. Let's get trekking! This was without any doubt the most amazing trekking we have done so far. You trek through the vast jungle and the guides are very experienced and trained to notice any danger (like poison ivy) so you can easily avoid it. The rock climbing was sometimes quite steap (which made it a lot of fun), but you have to be careful once in a while.

5. Lunch in a cave was awesome as well. Most amazing view and we had sandwiches with sausage, cheese and fruit/cookies. More than enough!

6. You hike through the jungle, wet and dry caves. So this includes swimming through the caves, rock climbing and a lot of info regarding geological features. A girl in our group had a Nice photocamera with her and we made Some amazing pictures in the caves (our guide was really good at making these as well). If you want to, he carried the camera during the hike and made Many pictures of the group and nature. And when swimming, it's stored in a dry box (make sure the camera is not too big tho or it won't fit).

7. Base camp. People from Oxalis brought our spare clothes etc to the base camp and set up our tents or hammocks (what you prefer). The camp was located at the 'intersection' of Some wet caves and had a beautiful waterfall! Amazing view and you can have a swim before dinner.

8. Dinner is made by people who have been trained for a month to Cook and everything they made tasted Great! If you are vegetarian, no problem! We were stuffed!

9. Breakfast again Great! I ate the best springrolls I ever had during 2 visits to Vietnam!

10. After the second day of hiking, we arrived back at the headquarters and could shower (felt amazing) before we got a Nice noodle soup and cold drink before being brought back to the hotel.

Conclusion: Don't hesitate and book your hike! Best experience in Vietnam! (And don't worry about swimming with clothes and boots, it's not as bad as you would expect!)

2  Thank ThomasJessy
Reviewed September 9, 2015

This tour was one of the highlights of my trip in Vietnam. It involves trekking through the jungle, exploring Rat Cave by foot, climbing and swimming through Tu Lan Cave, sharing a delicious lunch next to a waterfall, and finally trekking back to home base.
The guides are friendly and a lot of fun to spend the day with. I injured by foot early on in the day and they were quick to assist when I needed help, and continued to check on me throughout the day.

One thing that could be improved is the guides knowledge of the geology and geological processes by which the caves formed. As a geologist, I would have loved to have learned more, and the information provided was not all accurate.

Overall the tour was well organised and so much fun. The food was amazing, scenery outstanding, and the caves were unique and beautiful. I recommend this tour to everyone!

Reviewed September 9, 2015

This was one of my favourite days in Vietnam. Just the walk from the bus drop-off to the caves was awe-inspiring enough walking through one of the most strikingly beautiful landscapes imaginable. The caves themselves were FANTASTIC. The hiking and climbing is quite strenuous but well worth the effort, This was an EXTREMELY well organised tour with great commentary by our guides and a VERY nice lunch on the riverbank. I DEFINITELY recommend this tour and I am sure ALL the other Oxalis tours are just as good.

2  Thank Russell B