“Professional And Dedicated Outfit”
Review of Oxalis Adventures

Oxalis Adventures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Oxalis Adventure Tours is organizing trekking tours below:- Trekking to Hang En (Swalow cave) the same system with Hang Son Doong (Son Doong cave) the world's biggest cave.- Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park Tour- Trekking to Tu Lan cave system, Hang Ken cave, Hung Ton cave system- Kayaking tour to 1500m inside Phong Nha Cave- And other special adventure tours. Oxalis is socialized in caving adventure, trekking, and jungle camping, Oxalis is working with Howard Limbert - the BCRA expedition team leader who found Son Doong cave to do caving education, training and cave exploration. Quang Binh is the best place for caving in Vietnam and in the region, best Vietnam Caves, and World largest cave Hang Son Doong
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed November 12, 2014

We took part in the Oxalis 2 day Tu Lan caves expedition at the beginning of November. Our group size was 5 and we had one guide, one chef and two porters accompany us. Our tour was one of the most memorable, spectacular and worthwhile adventures we have been involved in during our 10 months in South East Asia. Our guide, Dzung, was very professional, affable and caring during the whole trip, really ensuring that our safety and well-being was placed as his highest priority. The food cooked by the chef and porters, Toan, Lin and Hieu was delicious and came in large portions to keep our energy levels high. The caves themselves were of course some of the most breathtaking wonders of nature we have ever come across and swimming through the chambers was a definite highlight.

The real winning point for us however was definitely the staff. Without them this trek is impossible so we have to really thank Dzung, Toan, Hieu and Lin as well as all the admin staff back at the office who organised all the details for us. Take the time to get to know all the porters and guides as they truly are wonderful people. We'll definitely take part in another Oxalis tour when we return to Vietnam.

1  Thank NOMADasaurus
Write a ReviewReviews (1,125)
All reviews
in 11 reviews
"great company"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed September 19, 2014

My girlfriend and I did the 1 day Tu Lan experience. It was a great experience, awesome caves and a nice trek to get there. Oxalis takes care of everything from boots to food and water. The only thing you need to bring is the clothes you want to trek in and a dry change of clothes for afterwards.

In hindsight we would probably have picked the two day tour as we felt this tour was lacking a bit of "adventure" but one day was all we had.

Guides were also very good. Talkative and knowledgeable about the caves and area

2  Thank DennisFoldager
Reviewed September 13, 2014

2 weeks back from Son Doong Trip and there is only one sentence I would like to said, "It's one in lifetime experience". It's not only the landscape, but also the service I received from the Oxalis Adventure Team.

Let's talk about the Son Doong and Hang En. The landscape and everything of it is so amazing. Amazing is not enough to describe what I have experienced. Until now, I could believe that there a place like Son Doong and Hang En. All photos from Google and information about the tour from Oxalis can give you the first initial though about how it is ... But until, you can experience those amazing by your eyes, it's stunning and fantastic. I was speechless most of the time ... You can email Oxalis team for more information about the tour.

Finally would like to recommend, highly recommend you to take a tour with Oxalis. World class service! It's very difficult for you to find a company like Oxalis in Vietnam (believe me, I'm local and experience a lots of pain from local tour agencies ... truly sad!). Oxalis team, they are professional, good services, good team and tour guides. They are not doing business, they are doing travel. They are not only well take care their guests, but also a very well take care of the nature, the cave and everything on the tour. I admired the spirit of the team and Oxalis.

7  Thank Samie_Wu
Reviewed September 12, 2014

The trip to the third largest cave in the world is a nice and easy hike through beautiful jungle land surrounded by mountains. The many river crossings are adventurous and refreshing. I got really excited when I had a first glimpse at the entrance of the cave and once I was inside the size of it was overwhelming.
It is a once in a lifetime experience to camp on a beach inside one of the biggest caves and to enjoy the stunning view from the campside.
We had a lot of fun with our guides Bamboo and Phuong and all the porters, who do a fantastic job! The food was absolutely delicious, too!
The last hill you climb on the second day is a challenge but once you see the porters literally running past you with 40 kilos on their back, you stop whining and start pushing yourself to your limits :)
An absolutely amazing experience!!

See more reviews
Reviewed September 8, 2014

First, Oxalis is a top-notched tour company with awesome staff. I had the pleasure of connecting with Luke Ford, Jamie Lynn McNulty, Howard, Deb, Thanh, Uyp, and so many more individuals who I forgot your names (I apologize!) but, will never forget our interactions (except I will forget my arm wrestling loss to Quang). Everyone was kind, completely attentive to our safety and needs, and had a friendly and welcoming disposition.

I will warn people, however. The 6 day trek to Hang Son Doong caverns is fairly difficult for a person like me. I surf almost everyday and if I am not, I swim, run, hike, or do yoga. I am fairly active but, am certainly not a full-time caver/spelunker. I chuckle at the selections below (Does this attraction have the following?). Oxalis provided the food so I didn't have to purchase anything. There are bathroom facilities (very breezy facilities, actually), stairs/sort-of-an-elevator, not so much wheelchair access in the cave, you carry your locker/storage on your back, and you should probably leave the stroller at the hotel. Bathing is sparse. Smelling your fellow trekkers is a guarantee. And you will encounter the occasional spider or critter. But, it is all a part of nature and the experience that the world's largest cave will give you; and it is an AMAZING ONE! It would be difficult to find a similar trek in the United States because I can see the liabilities involved. But again, Oxalis was very cognizant of our safety.

The food provided was excellent. They made sure we had the appropriate gear and was quick to provide alternatives in case we weren't prepared. I rented the "jungle shoes" and I was glad that I did. They fit well (think high top converse with grip), dried quickly, and had adequate "feeling", hopping from rock to rock. Deb, Thanh, and Howard shared their knowledge and explained things such as the history of discovery, formations, geology, landscape, classic stories from previous adventures, current and political events affected Oxalis and the cave, and kept us all learning and entertained. And, ice-cold beer at the very end of the hike? Nice touch!

!!! There is a current initiative to install a cable car to one of the do-lines and provide a walkway. This would eliminate the tour through the cave and significantly reduce an explorer's experience. Although a small part of me would love to brag about time I trekked THROUGH the world's largest cave, rather than cable carring it to one of the do-lines =), I hope the Vietnamese Government and the powers that be have good sense to allow Oxalis to provide the minimal-footprint tour to Hang Son Doong and cancel the cable car project. Vietnam has an opportunity to educate and share with the world, how to preserve natural resources. It will have to start with decreasing pollution and disposing of garbage properly but, it could be done.

I hate the spoil the after party but, let's just say that Oxalis really took care of us at the final dinner at the hotel. That day happened to be my and a fellow traveler's birthday and they provided a birthday cake. I asked about the bakery and discovered that there were no ovens in Phong Nha (where the National Park and Son Doong is). They brought in the cake from a neighboring town. OXALIS WENT BEYOND MY EXPECTATION FROM START TO FINISH! I wish continued success to the company, Oxalis, and all the best to the staff! If you are ever in Hawaii, you have a friend!

7  Thank Mattyofthe808