““An amazing stay at Anantara Dhigu.””

Anantara Dhigu Maldives Resort
Bangkok, Thailand
““An amazing stay at Anantara Dhigu.””
Reviewed May 29, 2012

When we arrived at the resort’s jetty, we were greeted by drums and cold towels. The staff at the reception was very friendly and hospitable.

As we arrived early morning our Villa was not ready yet, but they offered us to have breakfast meanwhile they got our room ready.

We stayed in a Beach Villa on the sunrise side and it is worse it to get up in the morning just to watch the sunrise in front of your Villa.

The food in the restaurants was pretty good and quite a wide range of selections are available. However, the food and drinks are a bit pricey, but we shouldn’t forget that we are in the Maldives where everything has to be imported.

Very nice was the option to visit the other Anantara property on the neighboring island.

On our second day we went to Veli Island for our breakfast and since then we went there every day. We loved it to walk along the beach to get to the jetty for the little ferry which took us to Veli every morning. It was just a perfect start in our day.
The atmosphere in 73 Degrees Restaurant was really like holiday. You walk along the buffet on sand and it is very quiet. The service is much better than in the restaurant on Dhigu (it was too crowded for us every morning).

Even for our mid-day dip we went to the swimming pool on Veli. We were almost alone there every day. The idea of serving complimentary iPad, water and sun lotion is just perfect.

We recommend everyone to try the Thai Restaurant which is located on a long jetty over the water on the way to the third property of Anantara. The view from there is just stunning and the food is real authentic Thai food prepared by a Thai chef.

Our thank goes to Matthew Fryar, who is very friendly and helpful. He is just a great person and a benefit to Anantara.

Besides, a BIG thank to all the staff for making our stay lovely and we will return soon!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Smaxx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed May 23, 2012

This is my first trip to the Maldives. I chose the Anantara Dhigu resort primarily on the reviews from tripadvisor and I did not regret my choice. My wife, 1.5 year old son and I stayed at the resort for 4 nights in a Deluxe Sunrise Beach Villa.

The transfer from the Airport was seamless. The resort staff were waiting for us at the foyer and we were whisked off in a speedboat with minimal delay. When we reached the resort the check-in process was efficient and we were helped by Amlah who was professional and gave us a genuine and warm welcome.

I was struck at how the villa looked exactly like the pictures on the Anantara website (other reviewers also gave the same comment). The staff had also prepared extra bedding, child robes, child life jacket, child toothbrush/paste etc for my kid. It was the beginning of the warm hospitality that my family experienced at the resort. I like the fact that the staff always seem to pay special attention to my son everywhere we went.

There were people at the resort so my family and I can people watch which to me is part of being on a vacation. But at the same time the resort never felt crowded. We can always get a table or lounge chairs at the restaurant and pool and also have the privacy that we need in the public areas. I am pleasantly surprised that there are quite a few families staying at the resort when we were there although the guest are primarily couples. My immediate neighbours are families with young children. The youngest guest that I had seen when I was there was a 12 month old girl (talked to her parents).

The sea around the resort is pristine and we can see fishes while looking down from the platforms. I rented a kayak (free for 2 hours) and our family of three paddled to the house reef on a small island across the lagoon. The water was very calm. I was initially a bit worried as my child is very young but the staff at Aqua fanatics were very assuring. In the end the kayak ride was uneventful.

It was my first experience snorkeling and I saw many colorful fishes and corals. And for a while, my whole family were the only ones on the island which felt really great. The staff at “Aquafanatics” were very friendly and professional. The snorkel rental is also free for the duration of the stay.

My son really like to take the boat transfer between Dhigu and Veli (the sister island) and I like the whole sister island concept. The two islands are so close that at low tide I think an adult can walk across to the other island although I never tried it.

Veli looks much smaller and its beach was also not as nice. But because the boat transfer is so frequent and short, it doesn’t really make a difference where one stayed as one can travel back and forth. My villa is also right next to the spa and the Veli-Dhigu boat transfer jetty. There is a slight lack of privacy as the boat is frequently zipping back and forth in front of my villa but it isn't all that bad.

The only letdown at the resort is the food (otherwise I would have given the resort 5-stars). I had read some of the poor reviews about the food and had already calibrated my expectation downwards but I was still disappointed. The breakfast at Dhigu at the Fushi Café is almost inedible as the food is very poorly prepared. The breakfast at Veli at the 73 degrees is much better by comparison. Unfortunately, we spent the first 3 mornings eating at Fushi as the boat service to between Dhigu and Veli starts at 7:30am and we wanted an early breakfast due the time zone difference from our home country so just ate at Fushi on our island at Dhigu at 7:00am. We only ate breakfast at 73 degrees on the last morning before our transfer home. I am not sure why there can be such a big difference between 73 degress and Fushi when the resorts are under the same management.

We ordered room-service for most of the lunches as we are typically hungry for lunch at around 11am (again because of the time difference) when the lunch is served at 12pm at the restaurants. The food we served at the room service are unremarkable but the service was pretty prompt and we don’t have any complaint.

The Thai restaurant is really quite nice and is the only highlight of our stay food-wise. Do ask for a table ‘outside’ as during dinner you can look down at the fishes while waiting for the food. We had seen one shark swam pass while we were eating. It is really quite an experience.

Overall, we liked our stay so much that we will consider going back to Anantara Dhigu when we return to the Maldives for a vacation. Would really like to go back when the child is old enough to join the kids club (they only take kids above 3).

Room Tip: The island is small enough to walk so it doesn't make a difference logistics wise where you are...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Woon T
Slovenia
Reviewed May 22, 2012

It is hard to describe how beautiful this place is ! We enjoyed literally every single minute during our stay. We booked the sunset beach villa not far from the spa and it was just perfect. The dine around experience is also a must, especially restaurants Baan Huraa and 73 Degrees...All the staff is very friendly and helpful. The team at the Aquafanatics scuba diving center team is highly professional and thanks to them I obtained my PADI open water diver license in four days.
Definitely a place to go and we hardly wait to come back !

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Skofy
Doha
Reviewed May 18, 2012

We stayed at Anantara Dighu in April 2012 with our 2 boys 3,4 years old. it was our fourth visit to the maldives and 5th resort. we enjoyed our stay alot . the sea at this island was clean and clear. kids enjoyed their time at the kids club. i can say this resort has the best ever spa i have ever been to in the whole of my life. in terms of location (over water) and treatments. the therapists are so talented.
I also enjoyed the fact that we can visit the sister island veli and try the restaurants over there as well.
overall. one of the best resorts I have travelled to in the Maldives.

Room Tip: we stayed at the sunset side. rooms 54 us and 53 kids. 53 had a better view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We've been to the Maldives 6-7 times. This resort has really lovely clean and large rooms - we stayed in a Sunset villa, which was spacious enough for us and our 2 boys who are 2 and 4 YO. Our package came with breakfast only, and the breakfast spread, while not extensive, is pretty impressive quality-wise. Thumbs up for the food overall at Dhigu, and special mention for the really fabulous food at Baan Huraa.

I'm really impressed with how the staff love to talk to kids, and the front office manager (Yin?) even let us have a late check out as we were on a late flight that day, with 2 kids and a pregnant lady in tow. Even the boat crew were always happy to see kids. At the resort the attention to detail for kids is amazing. The kids welcome pack included crayons, a cap, and a water bottle!) and amenities include toiletries, even towels! I even love how they have mini room slippers! And the kids menu is so extensive (burgers! fried rice! noodles! fries! milkshakes!) and the portions are just right in case you have a fussy eater and need to order something else, or order another portion for a big eater. No one gave us glares or sighs when the kids did make a mess, and were always ready to reassure us not to worry, which is SO good on a holiday. The kids club is situated in a part of the island which seemed a little void of any breeze, but other than that it's great to have a playground for the kids.

Now for the downside. A few of the other reviews have mentioned the lack of marine life, and although we did see a sizeable spotted ray one morning, the lack of marine life is really disappointing. If you can snorkel that's well and good, but when you have young kids you can't (only kids above 8 years old can), and some other resorts have jetties which are just bursting full of life, which is such a great experience for young kids. For this reason, we won't be back to Anantara Dhigu or unfortunately recommend it to other couples with young kids, which is such a pity because they have everything else for kids and make them feel so welcome. If you have kids over 8, or no kids at all, yes, do go!

Room Tip: Sunset villa, definitely!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank MumsEd
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 10, 2012

We stayed at the Anantara Dhigu in April and had a true dream holiday. The staff was amazing, always exceeding our expectations and extremely freindly, the food in all restaurants was superb and not costly considering the exclusive location and the scenery was simply heaven. I almost felt bad for how pampered I constantly felt! I loved our over water room and the beautiful colourful fish that I met every time I walked to the main part of the hotel. The salt water pool was a real treat and I will never forget the amazing Thai lunch we had while watching the waves break onto the reef. The food was incredible and the presentations were true works of art. I would like to thank the second Executive Chef who happend to be there at lunch and made us feel like it was a pleasure for them to have us there. It really felt like everyone was proud of working in this amazing resort! If we ever get the chance to visit the Maldives again in future we will certainly return!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HK_Penny
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We chose Anantara Dhigu for our 1st Anniversary and stayed there at the Pool Villa for 7 days.

This is not our first experience with the resort – having stayed at other Anantara's we have noted how phenomenal their service is.

Rate experience? - FANTASTIC!

Room:

-Neat, clean, well-kept villas

-Amenities were excellent

-Plenty of drinking water in room

-60 seconds away from the beach – Which makes waking up in the morning an amazing experience

-Beach – Ocean is crystal blue with white sandy beaches.

Food:

-Room Service: Excellent (A bit pricy but then all Maldives Hotels charge expensive rates for food/drinks)

-Fushi Café @ Dhigu: I found the breakfast to be passable and not very exciting. I have been to other resorts where the breakfast has been spectacular. It would be nice if the hotel would allow people to have late breakfast till 1130 especially for those who want to relax and wake up late.

-Japanese @ Veli Island: Very good especially coming from someone who is vegetarian. We dined there twice for dinner and were very happy with the food. Bill came about USD180 per dinner including a bottle of wine.

-Thai @ Veli Island: Coming from Southeast Asia – the standard of the Thai food is on par with Thailand. (I even requested it for it to be made spicier and they did a good job of it) Plus if you want a romantic dinner overlooking the ocean it's a great place to dine.

Activities:

-Jet-ski: Amazing experience because you have a personal tour guide to take you around the islands. We were lucky enough at one point to be surrounded by what must have been 20-30 dolphins jumping out of the water. It was definitely a WOW moment.

-Parasailing: 15 mins experience but memories of a lifetime.

-Banana Boating: Not much to say about this activity and didn't leave much of an impression. (Probably best not to waste money)

-Hotel Cocktail Party: Their theme is bathers and they have floating bars set up in the ocean which allow you to walk in the sea while having canapés and drinks. (Very unique and fun beach party experience)

-Dining by Design: This is A MUST do. Choose your own time, venue, food, set up etc. We had dinner on a private island next to Dhigu which was set up beautifully. The boat came to pick us up and we arrived to be greeted by our own chef and waiter. The guy served us our drinks and moved the dinner in accordance to the pace we wanted. Plus it was a full-moon night which made dinner even more romantic. (We saw other types of Dining by Design for families with kids set up by the beach and it looked like an equally dinner/BBQ event)

Staff:

-Ibrahim – The room attendant who took care of us did an amazing job of ensuring our trip was brilliant from start till the end. He took care of EVERY request ensuring it was done to our 110% satisfaction.

-Mohamad Abdul Samad (Chef) & Zihuny (Waiter) - They took AMAZING AMAZING care of us on the private island for Dining by Design making the moment even more romantic for me and my husband. Both were very informative, friendly, warm and attentive to our needs. Their conversations and behavior with us did not feel like that of a service provider-customer relation but a much more personalized feel.

-MATTHER & JEFFREY: 2 AMAZING HEADS of Anantara Maldives who do a spectacular job of ensuring every guest is well taken care of. Their attention to detail make sure that not only your NEED but YOUR WANTS are also fulfilled on your trip.

Con:

Rooms are WAY TOO close to each other…. You can hear your neighbors every conversation. So if you are looking for quiet time you might find villa next door to you too close.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank poojie21
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dhigufinolhu Island
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Emboodhu Finolhu
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,247 reviews

Been to Anantara Dhigu Maldives Resort? Share your experiences!