“Family friendly”

Anantara Dhigu Maldives Resort
Perth, Australia
“Family friendly”
Reviewed January 23, 2012

Travelling as a family of four, I am happy report that this is one exclusive resort that caters well to families. The resort area is made up of 5 islands which are only a few hundred meters apart-

1) anantara veli - slightly cheaper rates but for couples only. I think they have water villas only
2) anantara dhigu - water villas and beach villas for couples and families
3) naladhu - exclusive private island with 19 beach houses
4) admin island - for staff
5) picnic island - small uninhabited island

islands (1) and (2) connect by a 5 minutely boat service and (2) and (3) by a bridge. You can walk to picnic island on low tide or by kayak. There are three restaurants each in Dhigu and Veli, and each have a spa.

Here's a few thoughts/tips.

- Like a few of the previous reviewers, we booked through Paradise Atoll which I found very helpful and professional. They were also cheaper than the internet booking sites like agoda and expedia. We were met at the airport and whisked away by boat to the resort.

- Because of our 3 yr old, we elected to stay in the beach villa instead of the water villa. Having been there now, I am quite glad I did that as the kids loved playing on the beach. First thing they did when they woke up was to walk out of the villa and play in the sand with the hermit crabs whilst we stayed in bed. We probably wouldn't let them wander out alone if we were in a water villa.

- The kids club teachers were great and our 9yo daughter wanted to go there everyday. The program changes from day to day. Even though the resort was near capacity, the club didnt have too many kids(4-5 usually) so those that were there had plenty of attention.

- I'm glad we stayed in the sunset villas. A bit of shade during the mornings when the kids were out on the beach but also less wind during the day. Consequently the sea here is usually almost flat with no swell - perfect for the little ones plus you get to see some pretty spectacular sunsets. Also the sunset villas face the lagoon while the sunrise villas are closer to the open ocean and see more swell.

- Some of the beach villas have their own plunge pool. We didnt get one of these and I dont think you'll be using this too much since the lagoon is like a giant bathtub with fish and the resort's infinity pool is pretty spectacular. The villa itself was quite clean and modern and we had absolutely no problems during our 1 week stay here.

- there is wifi throughout the island but it is slow. At best, I measured up and download speeds at 0.8Mbps. You'll be able to check emails but forget about streaming media.

- on rainy nights, you can get a dvd from the library to watch in your villa. There's a lot of mature content so one suggestion to the management is that they could do with more children movies.

-a few good snorkle areas around the house reef, picnic island and veli villas. You'll see lots of reef fish (ie lionfish, reef sharks and stingrays). We brought our own snorkle equipment but one can also borrow them from Aquafanatics. You also have 2 hours free with the kayaks/day so good idea to make use of this to explore around the lagoon.

-we had a bed and breakfast family package with breakfast included for all. There is slightly more choice if you have breakfast at the Veli instead of Dhigu but overall they are both quite similar. In general, the breakfast buffet selection is at best adequate and certainly not exhaustive (ala Shang-rila). For lunch and dinner - kids<7 eating for free and <12 for half price at most but not all the restaurants. Remember to add 16% taxes to all the prices on the menu. Pretax coke is USD$5 a glass and sparkling water is $10 a bottle. Between the four of us, lunch/dinner bills were approx $150 each time. We liked the Thai at Veli best and we mainly ate here. The Japanese at Veli and Italian at Dhigu were average. Some nights when the kids were tired, we ate in the room but the kids pricing plans dont apply for inroom dining.

I have no hesitation recommending the resort for families.

Room Tip: A sunset villa on Dhigu near the infinity pool is the perfect spot to park the kids.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank d-Family-Guy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
Reviewed January 10, 2012

Expect to have your expectations exceeded. This is a line I can definitely say about Maldives, regardless where you stay in. This is a country that specializes in dream holidays – and a dream place it is.

We chose Anantara because of what it can offer - a large resort with a way to access the different islands they own. It sure was an experience as each resort offered different views and themes. It is easily accessible thanks to the free boat transfers they offer guests. Dhigu is the largest and by far the most beautiful. Picture this: White, white, WHITE sand, super blue water with shades of green, red sunsets, clear blue skies...well, imagine paradise and this is the place you're looking for.

The moment we were whisked by the speedboat to their arrival dock, my partner and I felt that we had just arrived in heaven. It is so hard to explain - you have to go there to understand the overwhelming feeling of gratitude that out of the billions of people in this planet, you are blessed enough to behold such a beautiful place. This is what Maldives is about. Sheer beauty. What I love about Anantara is that this resort magnified this feeling. My partner and I stayed at the sunset villa. The room is spacious! I particularly loved the sofa beside the bed and I fondly referred to that area as my "cozy cot". The outdoor bathroom is fantastic! It's as huge as the room and I loved the separate sinks, the enormous tub (yes - it is good enough for two!), and the outdoor rain shower. I felt like I was bathing in nature with all the bushes and trees around me; yet, I felt safe knowing that no one can see what you are doing there. So if you want to be daring and adventurous, the bathroom is the place to be! Now, the bed is amazing - we literally get to sleep 8-hours every night because it is just too comfortable. This trip was pure relaxation. I can go on and on but I am sure that the photos will tell it all.

It is the beach that I find most wonderful about Anantara. The sand is blindly white and clean. Since they have such a large space you can really feel that you have the beach all to yourself. Our favorite place is the Aqua Bar. The view of the infinity pool and the beach beyond (and the hammock right smack in the middle of the ocean) is the most perfect scene ever. Special mention to Julie who always made sure we had what we wanted whenever we're at the Aqua Bar.

If you're planning to stay at Anantara, don't miss out:
Dine by Design
Parasailing
Snorkelling
Dining at Baan Huraa

You can snorkel anywhere in Anantara, but if you book the 2 hours snorkeling trip, you will be taken to a coral reef where you can see an amazing variety of fishes. Parasailing is a must if you want to see how beautiful the resort is from above. Baan Huraa serves amazing Thai dishes. Loved the sweet and sour fish! Now, a caution if you will decide to book Dine by Design - it is expensive but how the staff will setup your location is truly something worth experiencing. We had our dinner just before sunset. The candles, the torches, the wind and sand plus seeing the sky turn red then black with millions of stars shining above...AMAZING. However, the food was too much for two people. We ended up hardly touching most of the food and we felt that it was a waste of money and good food. We couldn't help feeling guilty, imagining all the people starving in other places. I raised this on my feedback and received an apology email from the manager as I felt that we were misled by the person-in-charge of Dine by Design (Shizam). We repeatedly asked if the food was good enough for two but was told that we should order separate packages. We kind of felt that they were after the profit as the package itself were very expensive. The food was not that great as well so this was something that left us with mixed emotions - loving the setup but disliking the food and the portions. I hope Anantara staff has improved on this by now.

All in all, a truly wonderful experience. Getting to Maldives is a personal lifetime dream of mine; so if you are planning a trip here, you will not go wrong with this resort. This is paradise...and Anantara will make sure that you get the best that Maldives can offer.

Room Tip: Sunset Villas if you are not a morning person.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank patsp
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Even after 2 months of being away from the beautiful Maldives islands i am still reminiscing about my trip. It was our honeymoon, a part of a three country tour through Hong kong, Singapore, and finally to the Maldives which would be our week long island getaway that we had such high expectations for and had been on our travel list for a long, long time.

We went with the sunrise overwater bungalow option, after doing much research on Maldives options and found Anatara Dhigu to have the best reviews over all. Conveinent location to the airport and short speedboat ride from there was also a factor.

The Maldives it self is so stunningly beautiful, there are really no words to describe it. Scenic, lush foilage, hypnotic sunsets, 20 shades of blue, 75 degree waters, rich sealife, are some of the things that welcome you to the country. It really is that picturesque idyllic location in the middle of no where, everywhere you go, its crystal clear ocean meets the sky. The water color from shore goes from pale colors of the soft white sand to, mint green, to turquoise, to sky blue, then royal blue, and every other shade of blue and beautiful greens that you can imagine. Its more picturesque and beautiful than any picture ever. Really. The sunsets you can just sit and gaze at forever, and although its the same sun no matter what country you are in, somehow in the Maldives that sunset is just so spectacular, perhaps because you are so close to the eqator, you can gaze at it all day long. No condos, no cars, no mopeds, no obstruction of the beautiful views no matter where you are at on the resort. Maybe a megayacht in the distance, that is it. It is truly heavenly and so relaxing, better than any beach vacation weve ever had- and we've had many! I say to my husband now that no beach we go to will ever compare to the maldives- yes we are spoiled!

The resort itself is amazing. Its clean, well maintained, layout is good, enough facilities and restaurants to keep you occupied and not be bored at all. Its definetely the best of the three- naladhu and the other one which i forget- both a short swim or speedboat away. At first we were worried being there for over a week- we would run out of things to do, but on our last day I was so sad to leave and could have used another week or two there!

The food on property itself, albiet "expensive" in some folks eyes- i felt it was on par with decent restaurants in SF's prices so we were ok with it. the food, was some of the best we've had, and we are huge foodies. The italian food was the best we've ever had- still thinking about the amazing lobster gnocchi! Daily breakfast was very good, with every kind of food you can think of- make sure you order their "ice teas" its really delicious and refreshing! Service in all food outlets was excellent, attentive and genuine.

The faciliites onsite- from the oversized infiniity pool to the swim up bar, to gym, are very good. Staff was some of the most hospitable people we've ever met after staying at so many high end resorts- including the St Regis Singapore just before our trip to the Maldives. Everyone on property greets you no matter if its day or night, and they are genuinely interested to make sure your stay is comfortable and if you are having a great time. They put the W hong kong hotel to shame, thats for sure.

-Make sure you get a coconut from the beach guru- he climbs the trees himself on Mondays and gets the coconuts himself on the island!!

Activities wise we did scuba diving -(fantastic sea-life) we saw a stingray the size of a cocktail table at the bottom of the ocean, chartered a private boat to go nearby to snorkel (walls and walls of fish that are so friendly they get all the way up to your face!) parasailing- omg, this was the highlight. You go up so high, and they take you on a 15 minute cruise around the entire lagoon, and you see EVERYTHING up there. The atolls are so beautiful from up there and you see through to the ocean- all the pristine colors of the blue waters. AMAZING! We also went line fishing where we caught our own fish- and they cook it for you for a fee the next day along with other accompainements and bring it all to your deck to eat while gazing at the sunset. need i say more? We were also able to snorkel right on the beach in teh lagoon in 2 feet of water. they have a natural reef there that has so many beautiful colorful fish- so fun, and the snorkel equipment is free as well as the kayaks to go kayak to bbq island (another island nearby) that has tons of fish as well.

The OWBs itself are really spacious, luxurious, and well appointed. It really was about 1400 sq ft, really lofty! Beds were super comfy, with sep dining area and lounging area. Tv and AC were great. My favorite is the view from the bathtub, OMG!! Every where you go in teh room you are welcomed by a view of the beautiful sunrise and ocean. it doesnt get better then that. AC is perfect and no mosquitos in sight on the property!! Every night our room boy would decorate in the most elaborate way our bed, with rose pedals and orchid pedals of all kinds. It was so nice and thougtful i felt bad about sleeping on it and ruining his masterpiece. At least i have pictures to remember right! Plenty of free bottled water too everyday in your room. We OWB was 115, which we thought was great, midway to the end of the plank of the OWBs. Get one not too close to the entrance of the OWB's you will be too close to the aquafanatics center and maybe not as private as you'd like.

yes, it is expensive, but it is also the Maldives- not everyone can get to as its so remote, and so exclusive- hey its not hawaii for sure! But the experience is truly paradise and i would highly recommend it. I'd LOVE to go back again and again and again!

On our last day, the hotel GM, Claudia who we met and spoke to, and is from the Netherlands, she was so hospitable and so friendly- we were so happy to meet her after seeing all the good reviews about her on this site. She also gave us a beach villa to relax in the last day as it rained and our flight was 11pm and our check out at 12pm which was awesome! the beach villas are nice but i recommend it for famiies, as the OWB- that is really a unique experience it itself- what other hotel room can you jump off your deck right into the ocean??

This was the best trip ever for me and my now husband, and we've taken a lot of really nice trips all over the world and stayed in some great hotels--and the most memorable honeymoon for us too. I cannot say enough great things about the service and hospitality that was shown to us during our stay, and we look forward to returning in the near future perhaps with our future children to share in this unique experience with them!!

Room Tip: overwater bungalows a must, both sunset and sunrise side are great. Sunset side is unobstructed, but...
5 Thank amy w
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed December 27, 2011

We recently stayed at both Anantara Veli and Anantara Dhigu, 3 nights at each. At Dhigu we had a sunset beachfront villa with pool. The private pool was great, particularly if you want a more private experience than using the main pool at Dhigu. Perfect if you had 2 adults and 1 small child. The sunset side does provide the postcard views that many have mentioned before on T/A. Dhigu is great, particularly for those who want a little more atmosphere than at many Maldivian properties. Dhigu is a touch more name-brand than Veli, with L'Occitane bathroom products and a large Sony TV with Bose sound system. The Aqua bar and pool area tends to be a bit more uptempo than it's cousin, Dhoni bar, at Veli. Being a larger island you get more people and a bit more atmosphere. A few kids floating about as it is quite family friendly, although the kids were all well behaved and didn't impact our experience. Except perhaps at breakfast where we preferred 73 Degrees but it's only 5mins to get to from Dhigu. The whole complex of the 2 islands is what would make me really recommend this, having lots of options keeps it interesting. Terazzo is the most underrated restaurant, we loved it. For anyone questioning the food from previous comments, don't worry about that it's great, perhaps if you're a foodie just do ala carte rather than buffet and you'll get fantastic meals throughout. Price wise it's not as bad as we thought, it's similar to other resorts around the world such as in Fiji/Cook Islands/North Queensland/Whitsundays with USD8 for a beer and USD16 for cocktails but the latter are in huge glasses so you feel it's good value. Wine around USD100+ per bottle so we stuck to beers and cocktails. Minibar prices are very reasonable, perhaps except for the juice, and you can get a 350ml bottle of vodka/bacardi for around USD35 which isn't a bad idea if you open it on day 1 [or a heavy drinker]. For the F&B service at Dhigu there is room for a bit of improvment, 7/10 mostly because it's hit and miss, but at Veli it's really 10/10. Neither detracted from the experience, just interesting to note there was a difference between the islands. I got the feeling that Veli staff feel like the underdogs from the bigger Dhigu so they really go the extra mile. Management are present and really make an effort which is great to see. The only 2 comments I have that could improve it even more quickly and easily would be a DVD library and to get a barissta for the coffee service in the mornings to make lattes/capuccinos. They ask if you want coffee and tea and I just said yes, so I'm not even sure if you can get a latte perhaps you can. The filtered coffee was decent though. There is a Nespresso machine in the room but without fresh milk I didn't use it but if you liked a short black it's a great facility. Perhaps an option to buy some small fresh milk or get some delivered rather than UHT would be good. For activities, the snorkelling trip is great and at USD50 it's good value so we did it twice and they made sure we went to a different spot. Scuba was great and apart from the moody marine biologist everyone at Aquafanatics was awesome. Free Kayaks are cool and the best snorkelling without doing the day trip is [as everyone says] at Picnic Island. Anyway, stop reading and just book it!

Room Tip: Consider some time on Veli too
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RoundAboutMark
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed December 24, 2011

The hotel is amazing and I can speak ages how awesome it is) However I want to give some practical advices here:
1. don't go to Male. I spent a night there and it looks like an extremely poor, dirty getto. It is the worst place on Maldives as local island citizens have much better facilities on other islands. Local islands - would be a nice interesting cultural trip.
2. If you want to do surfing - Anantara is a perfect choice as there is a great place for surfing in just 15 minutes by boat! It will satisfy both beginners and mid-riders.
3. Don't purchase all-incluse accommodation as it is actually excludes best restaurants from you meals and leaving you only buffet option - which is nice but cannot be compared to other restaurants. I was eating only in a-la-cart and at the end it costed cheaper than all-inclusive.
4. Don't go Dolphin watching - better rent a Jet Ski and go with a guide in open ocean. He will do amazing 1 hour trip including private dolphins watching!
5. Dhigu is the best island among three options.
6. There is an iPod/iPhone dock speakers in every room - make sure you have a nice playlist!
Finally try to order their signature burger in villa - which taste I can't forget!

Room Tip: Sunset vila is so much better and beautiful. The thing is sunrise on Maldives is very early and you...
2 Thank Iurii D
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed December 22, 2011

although the location was beautiful, the service really was average. to sum it up, the staff didn’t have heart. compared to the Four Seasons, which we stayed at a few months back, Anantara felt like a poor attempt at similar service ideas.

In all restaurants, delays for food were ridiculous. all in all, not bad, but certainly not special.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank WorldTraveller915
Claudia P, General Manager at Anantara Dhigu Maldives Resort, responded to this review, December 30, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you sincerely for your feedback which is helpful in our efforts to continuously improve service levels in all areas of the resort and for all guests coming to Anantara. I am terribly disappointed to read that during your stay you felt the service your received was average. Our guest comments are a great learning opportunity, so I would like to ask if I could learn more about your stay and where we let you down. If convenient, please contact me via email on cpronk@anantara.com.
I look forward to being in touch directly.

Warm regards,
Claudia Pronk
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 18, 2011

We stayed in an island villa for 8 nights during our honeymoon in October. The staff, facilities, rooms, beach, water, restaurants all simply amazing! The staff were always smiling and friendly which made you feel so relaxed and welcome. The quality and variety of the food in all of the restaurants was excellent. Great to have such a wide selection of options as you can dine at any of the restaurants on Dhigu and Veli. Loved relaxing on our own private beach chairs and enjoyed numerous refreshing coconuts in the afternoon. When the weather was clear the sunrise and sunsets were breathtaking. The indoor/outdoor bathroom was my favourite part of the villa. Great snorkelling around the overwater bungalows at Veli and off the small island that you kayak to. Beware of the reef sharks, they love to follow and circle you - a little scary, but thankfully didn't bite! Great massages at the day spa, simply stunning rooms looking out over the ocean - so peaceful. I would definitely recommend Dhigu for a simply amazing, relaxing holiday with your loved one!!!

1 Thank kirsty_stewart
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dhigufinolhu Island
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Emboodhu Finolhu
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,249 reviews

Been to Anantara Dhigu Maldives Resort? Share your experiences!