“Would stay again”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Arnos Vale
Portland OR
“Would stay again”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Doesn't seem to be any Really nice hotels in Kingstown. If you can afford 3 to 700 a night then head out to one of the private island resorts.
This place has average rooms you would find anywhere in the US. Rates a little high but your paying for the location.Some ocean view rooms really have a very partial view so be sure & take a look out the patio door before you upgrade to ocean view.Restaurant a bit expensive as well.Food was very good & lobster was excellent.They make a very good Mojito with fresh mint too.
The employees are AAA++++ Lots of genuine smiles here.Staff very helpful like when I locked my key in the room & getting a converter for 110v.Those are limited so ask for 1 when you check in.Remember your laptop is probably 110/220v (check your power supply) if it is you only need a converter plug for that.
Hotel is right on beach with a small,nice pool.There is a big ole bird in a cage up front on the east end of building be sure to say "hi" but I wouldn't stick my finger in the cage if I were you!
Bit of a drive to downtown Kingstown.Bus out front is 1.00 EC,taxi 25-30 depending on how far you are going.I took the bus a couple times & it was fun.
Very safe area & they do have security guards as well.

Room Tip: check it out first,for a few dollars more you may get a much better room,lower floor has best views...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Rob-Hack

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed July 18, 2010

I stayed at this property during Vincy Mas, for two nights. The location was very convient. It is located directly on the beach and the mini bus picks you up directly in front of the hotel, to go in to Kingstown.

I ate just one meal here which was breakfast. I found it a little expensive. However the staff was wonderful, and you couldn't ask for a better location. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
5 Thank hotgal
West Orange,NJ
Reviewed January 28, 2010

We stayed here on a dive vacation. The location is good. The hotel is on the only white sand beach in St. Vincent. We liked the food especially the Saturday night barbecue and the Roti. The service at the restaurant was slow to glacial. One day it took 45 minutes to deliver our food. The service at breakfast was also very slow. The rooms need some renovation. The light fixtures were all falling apart and needed to be replaced. It would also help if they chose lamp shades that were translucent instead of opaque. The doors on the closet were always off the tracks and didn't function properly. The room safe was placed on a high shelf in the closet. One had to stand on a chair to reach the safe. In addition the furniture in the room was a little cheesy and needed to be replaced. The beds however were firm. We did like the swimming pool.
This hotel is a bit overpriced for what you get. There are other choices nearby. Check out the Beachcombers next door and the Mariners.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Scubavid
Barbados
Reviewed September 20, 2008

I stayed at Sunset Shores quite recently. I was on a business trip and spent 1 night. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They made sure I was quite comfortable and satisfied. The room was very clean and nice. Dinner was quite lovely! I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Ann
Barbados

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — the fact that all the electrical points were 220 V and there were no adapters available
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank AnnSweetie
Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed April 13, 2006

I visited St. Vincent for the first time in February 2006. I was on a business conference and did not know what to expect. I was pleasantly suprised with the hotel, service and location. First I must say that the local people are very friendly and helpful. The hotel is small, so a personal touch was noticed and appreciated.
I was happy with the room although the airconditioner was loud, it worked well. The food was very good although I could not get plantains after the first night. The bar served really good planters punches.
The location is not far from the airport and it sits on the beach. A stone's throw away is Young Island and it is worth a visit for a meal.
In summary, this hotel is a fine value and I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank kellbert
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 27, 2006

Hate to be the naysayer after the earlier very good review but we had a very different experience at Sunset Shores. We were only there for one night on our way home from Bequia so perhaps a longer stay might have led to more positive feelings.

First impression, we arrived and they had no record of our reservation. When I reserved I requested a confirmation but was told they didn't do confirmations but not to worry everything would be fine. And we didn't think the front desk staff handled the issue very well---sort of made us feel like it was our fault.

We were given a room on the first level overlooking the pool. Room was adequate but hardly 4-5 stars. Furniture sort of worn, no refrigerator, bathroom pretty basic. But all very clean. When we were taken to the room we gave the woman who helped with our luggage a tip. Later we read that a 10%service charge is added to the bill. When we have encountered this in other places staff have declined the offer of a tip at least for very routine service. Grounds were very nice and the sunset was lovely.

We had to leave about 6:45 AM to catch a flight and breakfast doesn't begin til 7Am. We asked at the front desk the night before whether we might be able to get coffee and a roll at 6:45 and were told we would have to find the kitchen staff and ask them----seems to me like the front desk staff could have contacted the kitchen staff rather than send us in search of them.

We had a recommendation for the French Verandah for dinner so did not eat at the hotel----but the French Verandah was superb!!! And they have rooms to I think we would check them out next time.

• Stayed February 2006
7 Thank mmob100
Port St. Lucie Florida USA
Reviewed January 22, 2006

I stayed at Sunset Shores for ten days in early March 2005. I found the accommodations and overall service to be of 5-Star quality. The food was prepared by a well trained staff and the management made every attempt to make my stay memorable.I have no reservation about recommending this establishment to anyone that wants to be treated right at a reasonable price. Alex Laing,Port St. Lucie Florida

Stayed March 2005
#2 of 5 in Arnos Vale
Sugar Reef Bequia
Sugar Reef Bequia
#2 of 10 in Bequia

Been to Sunset Shores Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!