“Very well preserved.”

Book In Advance
More Info
$150.00*
and up
Full-Day Oak Alley and Evergreen Plantations from...
Ranked #2 of 2 things to do in Edgard
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed October 21, 2011

This may be the only plantation that still has intact slave quarters. They have done an excellent job of preserving those buildings as well as the main plantation buildings. I could tell that our tour guide really cared about the property and the grounds. That was really nice. It made the experience even better. Most impressive are the two oak alley's on the grounds. That is something I've always wanted to see in person and had to photograph at length once the tour was done. I really recommend this as a historic place to visit. It can be a little hard to find if your navigation doesn't like the location, but I made it! It's an absolutely beautiful property.

1  Thank tuffy26l
"greek revival"
in 7 reviews
"original slave"
in 3 reviews
"national register of historic places"
in 5 reviews
in 8 reviews
"eye opening"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed September 26, 2011

Interresting house, but the whole tour consisted of being told where to walk, what not to ask about, and when to leave. The tour guide made it very clear that questions were not encouraged, and we felt very much like we were being lectured to rather than informed. I'm glad we saw the house, but I felt that we were being ushered in and out as quickly as possible. I would have liked it more if we had felt a part of the tour instead of a "Well, I have to do this" experience.

2  Thank the_steeles
Reviewed August 31, 2011

There are probably other plantations in the area more worth a visit. Clearly this is one of the most beautiful plantations in this area. And the intact lane of slave quarters is very interesting (although you only see one and don't really see it well). But $20 dollars for this 30 minute tour is a joke. The guide who showed us around was knowledgeable but completely disinterested - it was clearly a drain on her time. While the house is beautiful, it is small and takes about 10 minutes to see everything. And you are not allowed to linger and explore at your own pace. Lastly, what they don't tell you in the brochure is that this is still a working plantation owned by a New Orleans resident who periodically comes out to this property for leisure. So the electric stove and modern kitchen take a little away from the historic ambiance.

2  Thank JosephNathan
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Evergreen Plantation has beautiful grounds and has the slave quarters still intact. I believe there were over ten. If you visit the house and want to see the slave quaters it is a long walk. I would not reccomend doing this if you have trouble walking. The house was okay but there are more plantations in the area that give more information and are more interesting. We did enjoy our tour guide on some of the family history but the house just did not offer as much to see as other homes in the area.

2  Thank prunes