“Southern Comfort”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Orange, California
“Southern Comfort”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

For the small historic town of Donaldsonville, LA, the Grapevine Cafe and Gallery was a special surprise. The town shows signs of wear, but this little gem draws a large local crowd from an hour away. We came in for lunch without reservations. I had the Crawfish Half and Half with 2 kinds of crawfish--half crispy fried and half (etouffee) in a sauce, served with rice and potato salad. My husband had the Crawfish Pie between layers of a puff pastry. Both entres were delicious and we warmed up the leftovers for breakfast the next morning. We had no room for the special White Chocolate Bread Pudding so we decided to come back in the evening for dessert and our waitress made us reservations because Friday evenings they have live musicians and it gets crowded. It was indeed busy but we were seated right away and really enjoyed the rich decadent dessert. Two guitar players/singers kept us entertained and the art work on the walls features one artist at a time. Really worth the stop. Great service and modest prices, too. The dinner came in with tax and tip under $40. Dessert was $5.95 each.

• Visited May 2013

Gulf Breeze, Florida
“Excellent Food!!!”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I kinda found this restaurant last minute and my husband and I stopped for lunch before heading to stay at Bocage Plantation B&B. This little GEM you DO NOT expect to find driving through Donaldsonville...I have to be honest. The place is Gorgeous, clean, food was EXCELLENT and service was great as well!! I wish we had this place by our house! I would definitely eat there again!!!

• Visited April 2013
“Does not attract other tourists, so go for it!”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We spent all day seeing the Louisiana countryside. After a swamp tour and a visit to a plantation, we were looking for a great restaurant to cap off the way with. Donaldsonville might not be a place that you'd usually ever get to, as an outsider, but we found this restaurant through tripadvisor and it was supposed to be very good. It was!

The cornbread with crawfish was amazing, I wish I had some right now. Also the deserts were great and didn't fall for the "let's make up for quality by offering quantity instead!" trap. All the food was delicious, also according two my two friends. Staff was attentive, and the atmosphere was great. You got the hustle of a rather full restaurant, yet the tables were spaced far enough to allow for sufficient privacy.

I won't go as far as to say "you should plan a trip just so you can include this place," but if you're ever looking for a good place to eat in between New Orleans and Baton Rouge, this should definitely be on your list of options! If this restaurant was close to my home, I'd go here regularly.

• Visited April 2013
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Consistently INCREDIBLE Louisiana Cuisine!!!!!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Located in the original capital city of Louisiana, Donaldsonville, Grapevine is one of the best restaurants in the southeast. My family and I have been going to this restaurant for over a decade and without fail we have ALWAYS enjoyed INCREDIBLE meals. The prices are reasonable, service hospitable, and and atmosphere artsy-eclectic. Whenever we have out-of-state family come for a visit, we always take them to Grapevine for great, authentic Louisiana French creole cuisine. This restaurant rivals any of the 5-star New Orleans restaurants and is definitely worth the drive.

• Visited December 2012
Neshanic Station,NJ
“Great food, great service”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We drove 30 minutes and found it well worth the trip for dinner.
We were readily seated and served by a very friendly and helpful waitress.
We enjoyed seating inside (too cold outside) near the bar. There was no live music that night.
The stuffed chicken and crawfish/shrimp pie were delicious. Local brewery Abita ale and a tasty dessert added to our pleasant experience

• Visited March 2013