“Good food, terrible service. Will not consider returning”
Review of Grapevine Cafe

Grapevine Cafe
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Good food, terrible service. Will not consider returning”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Went in for lunch with 2 friends, (3 people total) had our drink order & lunch special description taken by the Bussboy. Our waitress only came by 3 times. Take the order after we had been sitting for over 8 minutes, check on our food & bring the check.. she not once mentioned her name. Being in the restaurant industry I know what kind of things to expect from an establishment since I walk in the door. Food was good, but not worth the asking price with bad service like I had. Would not go back again.

New Orleans
“The Biggest Loser….Really, it’s not about the juice!”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Sunday was my husband’s 45th birthday and of course I made reservations for 12:15 pm at his favorite restaurant. 30 minutes into being seated our server whisked by and told us she would return soon to take our drink orders in the same breath she told the bus boy to bring our table and her additional 2 stations the complimentary mini French loaves. The bread arrived promptly followed by our server taking our drink orders which did not arrive for an additional 10 minutes more. So 40 minutes into our arrival we both are growing agitated. When the server arrived to take our orders for appetizers and entrees we asked her if the restaurant was backed up or short staffed. She said “No, we’re just busy.” Against our better judgement we stayed, (big mistake) and placed our appetizer and entrée orders. For 25 minutes we waited, our 9 year old complaining about being hungry, my husbanding fidgeting with his watch and me observing the other 2 stations in our seating area receiving the same poor service. I must also point out that there were larger parties of 6 that came in 15 minutes after us that received their drinks and entrees very swiftly, while we looked on. So here we are drink glasses and bread baskets empty and on come the appetizers. The appetizers were delicious, the server asked us if we would like more bread, we said yes, but it never came, just like the 3 glasses of water we ordered with our drink orders. For the second time we asked the server for the 3 glasses of waters and refills on our beverages and on this she complied very promptly. We didn’t bother asking for any more bread. The entrees came out 1 hour and 15 minutes after being seated. The two larger parties that arrived after our party of 3 had eaten and left by now. I felt awful that a great celebration had turned into a nightmare. The entrees were delicious. Our nine year old said “Daddy, there’s a hair in your cranberry juice”. She was right, a very long black hair with the follicle still attached swam around in the cranberry juice glass. Luckily my husband hadn’t had the opportunity to drink this. That’s it, I told my husband I’d have to do a do-over for his birthday celebration because this was the last straw. We motioned for the hostess, told her about our long wait times, inattentiveness and over all disgust with this experience. We asked for the manager and the hostess told us they had a floor manager for the front of the house and the chef/owner for the entire restaurant. We informed the hostess that we would like to speak to either one. The hostess returned swiftly and advised that the floor manager was too busy serving guests and that the chef/owner was busy in the back of the house. We agreed to wait. It was an additional 20 minutes before our concerns were addressed by the chef/owner, Cynthia Schneider. We were familiar with Cynthia Schneider’s reputation as a great chef but we were certainly disappointed in her inept attitude toward the handling of front of the house concerns. When Cynthia Schneider arrived to our table she began by saying “that this was our servers last day because she was aware of the problems the server had with wait times and prior complaints from other customers.” WHAT! You have to be kidding me? An award winning chef/owner that would jeopardize her restaurant’s reputation not to mention the dining experience of her patrons with a known unskilled server. Why should my family and the other guests serve as guinea pigs for your experiment in giving someone another chance to prove themselves? If this server was known to be bad, why was she on the floor as a server at all? I suggest that the chef/owner, stick to the back of the house matters because her expertise in the front of the house are less than desirable. Cynthia appeared to listen to our concerns but I don’t feel like she heard what we were saying because she only repeated that this was the servers last day…..this is not merely about the server, but it’s also about your know how to correct a problem. The server later returned to let us know that if she had known that there was a hair in the cranberry juice she would have gladly taken care of it. Believe me this was more than just about there being a hair in the juice it’s about service and correcting an issue immediately. Cynthia Schneider compped our ticket for all of the drinks and offered us a free desert. We didn’t take the desert and paid our tab of $99.95 and we vowed to begin our search once again for a restaurant that values loyal returning customers. Apparently, Grapevine Café and Gallery is not that place. Although we felt we lost out on this day, it is apparent that Grapevine Café’ and Gallery is the Biggest Loser of the day.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank charliegirl1970
Donaldsonville, Louisiana
“What a find!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We have been in Donaldsonville since April and have never heard of this restaurant. My son came to visit and found it his first week here. I was not expecting much but he finally talked me into going. What an amazing little treasure this restaurant is! The decor and atmosphere are contempory and homey...the staff was wonderful and friendly (the review from the guy from New York, consider the source)...the staff was almost too friendly. I don't eat fish or seafood (allergy), but I loved it here...our first visit was Saturday night and my hubby had crab cakes and seafood bisque, he said both were fabulous. I had chicken tenders and potato salad which were very good, chicken a little bland, but it was prepared in house. Then I had the chocolate pecan pie...OMG! It was to die for, also had a cafe mocha that was fantastic....next day, Sunday, we went again and shared a chicken salad...which was missing cheese and croutons, then we shared a bread pudding with white choc sauce...was very good, but I'd rather have had a whiskey sauce. The only thing I am disappointed in is that they only serve their sandwiches from 11 to 2 pm tue-fri... The only non seafood entrees are steak, hamb steak, chicken dish, and a pasta...I don't need that much food and would love to have just a sandwich...I asked the owner about it and she said the kitchen was too small to do both, seems like she could find a little corner to make sandwiches in...the only other thing is the bathrooms looked a little neglected...we managed to spend over $110 on both visits without ever ordering an entree. This is what appetizers, coffee, drinks and dessert will cost you. A little high...we do enjoy the atmosphere, we sit at the bar, so I guess I'll be eating a lot of chicken tenders...

1 Thank Lynn Rick D
“AMAZING!”
Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

I LOVEEE eating here! Music on Friday nights is so good! I suggest getting the Tuna steak and white chocolate breadpudding! You will fall in love!!

Houston, Texas
“Quality food in the middle of nowhere!”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I was very pleasantly surprise by this trendy little cafe in Donaldsonville, LA! Walking in from the main street of town, my expectations were pretty low. The town kind of looks like it's falling apart. But then you step into this lovely dining room that doubles as an art gallery. It was very cool. The decor is casual but trendy and the artwork was mostly abstract and colorful. The menu offered some really tempting dishes that made deciding a difficult task. We ended up ordering the chicken tenders, the Hen and Andouille Gumbo, the Spinach and Andouille Stuffed Chicken Breast, and the Crawfish Cornbread Topped with Grilled Catfish sauced with crawfish etouffeé. The chicken tenders were a bit on the bland side but you could tell they were battered and fried in house which I appreciated. The Gumbo was delicious and served with a potato salad that was really tasty too. The Crawfish cornbread dish was unique and also very tasty. All of the flavors of the catfish and etouffée were absorbed into the generous slice of cornbread. It was huge! It was served with mashed potatoes and stewed okra (both of these were very good as well). The standout of the main dishes was the Spinach and Andouille stuffed Chicken Breast. The chicken was cooked perfectly and the stuffing was full of flavor that complimented the chicken beautifully. This dish was also served with the mashed potatoes and stewed okra. For dessert, our table shared the Cheesecake topped with strawberries and the White Chocolate Bread Pudding. Both were really decadent but the Bread Pudding was AMAZING! I don't even care for white chocolate and I still kept picking up my spoon for another bite. Like I said, this place is really a hidden gem of a restaurant. Service was a little slow, but the restaurant was pretty packed and our waitress was really sweet. The prices are a little high, but the food is top notch. If you are in the area you need to make a trip to this fine establishment.

• Visited August 2012