Open today: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

from $150.00
from $102.00
from $145.00
More Info
All reviews thomas jefferson our tour guide gift shop historical society period costume the main house river road new orleans slave quarters great tour louisiana purchase live oak trees spanish moss louisiana history step back in time answer questions sugar cane
Reviewed November 8, 2017 via mobile

My experience here was second to none. Our Historian/ Guide was Jim and he was absolutely fabulous. His knowledge, professionalism, and interest in the past and present of this plantation really shows. He truly knows what he’s talking about and went above and beyond for our group. Don was also very helpful and answered all my questions at the torchi and bousillage area (I was even allowed to get my hands dirty). I’d recommend this piece of history in a heart beat.

Reviewed October 23, 2017

I'd definitely recommend taking this tour! We learned so much from our wonderful tour guide and are so glad we took advantage of all the out-buildings' information/displays.

Reviewed October 22, 2017

There are countless plantations in Louisiana and it's neighboring states, but I am sure this one is among the best.
The property was entered through a small building next to the parking lot. Inside the building was a lovely gift shop with countless local specialities and crafts. It wasn't your average museum gift shop and that's what I liked about it. From there the guided tours started.
Our tour guide was Beverly, she was incredibly friendly and well-informed. First we visited the backyard of the property where the accomodation for the enslaved people were located. In addition to the information given to us by Beverly there were additional information displayed throughout the property. Everything was kept in good shape.
There was also another employee showing us how the houses were build and how the materials for the walls were mixed together.
After that we visited the main building which was also kept in very good shape. First we were led to a room in the basement where we were showed a brief documentary about the history of the plantation followed by a tour through the whole house.
We learned lots of new things during this visit and enjoyed it thoroughly because of our amazing tour guide. If there is one plantation I would recommend to visit it is this one!
Thank you to the whole team to keep the property in such a good shape and to maintain its authenticity.

1  Thank flyingwithdave
Reviewed October 20, 2017 via mobile

The Destrehan Plantation tour is interesting and educational in many ways. Not only do you see the conditions in which slaves and plantation owners lived, you learn of the role of one of the owners in the Louisiana purchase (with several historic documents) and in the slave rebellion.
Our guide was really interesting and informative

Reviewed October 14, 2017

Visited Destrehan Plantation on a combined Plantation/Swamp tour package from Gray Line Tours. The house and grounds are gorgeous, in a lovely location a short ride, 30 minutes or so, outside New Orleans. We had an engaging and informative tour hosted by our knowledgeable guide, Jim, and then some time afterwards to explore the grounds, slave quarters and additional displays on our own, take a few photo's etc and a quick once around the gift shop