“Great historical visit with Brenda our tour guide.”

Destrehan Plantation
Book In Advance
More Info
$125.00*
and up
Destrehan Plantation and 16 Passenger Airboat...
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Destrehan
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1787, this is the oldest plantation house in the Lower Mississippi Valley.
Reviewed October 2, 2017

Amazing tour with interesting history. Then see the grounds and film on your own. Many items to see and read at your own pace. Only 30 mins from NOLA and they open approx 9:00/9:30am, so it's a great short trip to see the plantation for the am or allows you a great start to then head further west to see other plantations. Well worth a visit.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"sugar cane"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed September 29, 2017

Just a 30 minute drive from New Orleans, this unassuming house sits close to the Mississippi River and is a beautifully peaceful location. Our guide took us round the house and explained the work done by the staff and owners of the plantation, with interesting detail about the building and its construction over the years, with history spanning indigo, sugar and petrochemical production. I was fascinated to learn that the film "Interview with a Vampire" was filmed here (and having since watched it, there are plenty of views of the house featured in it). The guides wear period costume and are very informative. Photography is permitted throughout, apart from the Jefferson Room (which houses an original document signed by Thomas Jefferson). There are slave quarters behind the house and a fascinating exhibition on the 1811 slave revolt. There is a gift shop and an adjoining room containing tourist information leaflets.

1  Thank Tosca1962
Reviewed September 26, 2017

Informative guide, lovely home, interesting history, beautiful grounds, gift shop, adequate parking. If visiting New Orleans, it's only about a 30 min. drive. Great for day trip.

Reviewed September 23, 2017

We had a great experience at this plantation home. The tour guide was Brenda, she was terrific. She was very knowledgeable about the property, laws of that time, and the family history of the owners. Definitely one of my favorite tours of our trip.

1  Thank TCB21
See more reviews
Reviewed August 26, 2017 via mobile

Well I had the most amazing tour I have ever been on today. The house and grounds are absolutely stunning but the tour guide made my day and possibly my trip. Beverly was sweet, knowledgeable, entertaining and amazing. I wish I could have taken her along for the rest of my tours while in Louisiana. I will be recommending this plantation over all the others I've seen by far.