“Beautiful gardens and a wonderful tour guide”

Houmas House Plantation and Gardens
Houmas House Plantation Tour
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Darrow
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Houmas House Plantation and Gardens is an Historic Plantation that tells the story of the very wealthy Sugar Barons of the 19th Century. Also known as the Sugar Palace, because of the wealth created at this largest Sugar Plantation in America. A collection of museum quality Art, furniture, and decorative arts on display in its natural setting. Our Gardens are known as the best in the South. 36 Acres of Beautiful Gardens with statuary, ponds, fountains, bronzes and other things to please the eye. Plan on spending 3 hours to fully visit this site. We also have restaurants that offer breakfast, lunch, Dinner and Fine Dining. Our Inn has 21 rooms for overnight stays. Live the Life of the Great Sugar Barons, if only for a day. Experience all that Houmas House has to offer.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stroller parking, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed July 1, 2014

The house and the grounds are beautiful and worth the price of a ticket. But, more than that,
I wanted to tell you about our guide. She was period dressed and acted her part perfectly.
When she found that one in our group was having a birthday, she sang Happy Birthday in French! She knew so many facts, not just of the house but of the period. She was so well
educated.

This was the best Plantation tour we have been on in our four trips to New Orleans!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,391)
All reviews
"step back in time"
"take pictures"
in 25 reviews

Reviewed June 30, 2014

I haven't had an opportunity to visit the plantation since the new owner purchased the property in 2003. The grounds and the mansion have gone through extension renovations since I have visited and everything is absolutely gorgeous. The meal at Cafe Burnside was out of this world. Our server and hostess were attentive, helpful and friendly. That being said, the bartender at the Turtle Bar, while paying attention and being very friendly to other patrons acted rather aggravated to be talking to me, despite my being extremely polite. When I ordered a White Russian, he let me know that it was a whiskey bar and that he had no milk or cream. Then I asked him if they served any wines, which we said they had some reds and some whites, but never told me what kind of varieties and never spoke to me again and seemed fine to let me and my companions leave without ordering. If it was just a whiskey bar like he said, why did they even offer wines was what I was thinking. And why wouldn't they? They have wines in the restaurant that is right next door. I can imagine that he is costing the owner some $ with his attitude and the lack of offerings there. My friends have dined at Latil's Landing and said that their meal was fabulous. I looked at their menu, but was unable to return during my stay when they were open. One of the most impressive things is that the owner has obviously hired an outstanding chef. The portions are generous and the offerings are really unique, as well as some staples in Southern Louisiana cuisine. The gift shop is one of the most beautiful I have ever visited. The problem is the attitude of the staff. They do not have the friendly Southern hospitality that one would expect. Since the owner has a huge investment in the property, I would imagine that he would want to make sure that everyone (not just the restaurant employees) were friendly and helpful, which would encourage people to spend money. I would have been willing to do that, but I overheard the employees being very short to people and downright rude to one couple. I promptly went home and ordered several things that I was able to find online at a dramatic difference in price. For instance, several of the cookbooks are being sold at above the price inside the front jacket as the publishing price and numerous of them in the gift shop were not in good condition. Some of the gifts are massed produced and available online at substantial savings. All in all, we so enjoyed our visit, but will avoid the Turtle Bar and will only browse in the gift shop if returning.

2  Thank AndersenTraveler
Burnside_9, Owner at Houmas House Plantation and Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2014

I am delighted that you thought Houmas House was gorgeous, and the food was out of this world.

I am very disappointed that you thought the employees in the Turtle Bar and in the Gift Shop were rude. I have checked into your complaints and the bar tender does remember the instance when you asked for a White Russian and his comment to me was that he was very busy with the wedding party that had assembled, and he was completing their order, because the wedding ceremony was about to begin, and yes, he had run out of milk and cream, and could not leave the bar at that time, because of the numerous requests. His intention was to serve you as soon as he had finished the other group, but by that time, you had left. My apologies, we probably should have had an additional bar tender at that time, but in another 15 minutes, there were very few guests there.

Similarly, in the gift shop, the cashiers were very busy with the guests arriving for the wedding and checking into the Inn, that there was a delay. I have no doubt, that you thought they were rude, but all employees in our gift shop have been with us for many years, and I have never observed rudeness. Sometimes we all have a bad day, and I suppose it was the cashier's bad Day.

If you give us another chance, I am sure you will see that most visitors see us as a beautiful plantation with wonderful employees, who do the best to make certain that everyone enjoys their visit. If you check our ratings, you will notice our excellent reputation. Many comments speak of how wonderful our employees are. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

We loved this tour. We had a sassy tour guide dressed in clothes from that time period. She was very knowledgeable and answered any questions anyone had. We had access to the beautiful gardens, grounds, and most of the house, even though it's currently occupied. The artifacts and antiques in the house are really neat to see up close. Others in our tour group said this plantation's grounds and interior of the house was better than other plantation tours they had been on. The only thing I wished was here was slave quarters but they had all been removed or are very well hidden. They did not talk much about slavery because they said the slaves had been freed by the owners and then rehired as paid hands. Definitely worth a visit if you're in that area of Louisiana.

1  Thank KS8687
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Loved the tour of the home ... Our guide was great! The grounds are magnificent and we had lunch there. I had the Eggplant/Crab dish and my husband had a hamburger, both were excellent. Be careful of wet concrete in the gardens. My husband fell and we ended up in the ER, concussion!