“A beautiful home, gardens, and incredible food”

Houmas House Plantation and Gardens
Houmas House Plantation Tour
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Darrow
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Houmas House Plantation and Gardens is an Historic Plantation that tells the story of the very wealthy Sugar Barons of the 19th Century. Also known as the Sugar Palace, because of the wealth created at this largest Sugar Plantation in America. A collection of museum quality Art, furniture, and decorative arts on display in its natural setting. Our Gardens are known as the best in the South. 36 Acres of Beautiful Gardens with statuary, ponds, fountains, bronzes and other things to please the eye. Plan on spending 3 hours to fully visit this site. We also have restaurants that offer breakfast, lunch, Dinner and Fine Dining. Our Inn has 21 rooms for overnight stays. Live the Life of the Great Sugar Barons, if only for a day. Experience all that Houmas House has to offer.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Stroller parking, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Ok, so I read the bad reviews on here, because I didn't understand how anyone could give this place a bad one. I understand them now but do not agree.
Houmas House is a stunning plantation home that's been restored lovingly. It's full of beautiful period antiques, and lovely and amazing objects of art, paintings, and yes a small few of the owner's belongings which in no way detract from the Newcomb pottery, china, Steinway baby grand, etc. I loved our tour, it was a history of the house, grounds, how and by whom it was all built and restored. I didn't expect a slavery lesson nor would I want one. I think how these beautiful homes were built is known, and we all know slavery happened, why and how, and it was briefly mentioned on the tour. I'd rather enjoy the history of the home and the grounds; I'm not visiting for a history lesson but rather who built the home, why, how it's been restored.
The grounds are extensive, lovely and captivating. I do hope the owner Mr. Kelly doesn't overbuild and keeps the property's quiet and beauty.
The restaurants are great, we had a wonderful meal every time. Special kudos to the staff at The Carriage House (although chef has got to be overworked and looked it when we saw him) who were super attentive while staff at the Cafe Burnside were not.
In all a gorgeous property we hope stays small, well kept and prosperous so we can go back one day soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,363)
All reviews
"step back in time"
"take pictures"
in 25 reviews

Reviewed November 15, 2013

My mother and my cousins visited Houmas House this past July. It was absolutely beautiful! I have been to many plantation homes, but this one beats them all. Part of the reason was our tour guide. I can't remember her name, but she was awesome! I plan to go back on Nov. 23rd. I want to see the Christmas lights.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We enjoyed a delicious lunch. The stroll around the gardens was wonderful. Very relaxing, and just lovely gardens throughout the plantation. The gift shop has a wonderful collection of books and local art work as well as beautiful jewelry.

Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

I've been on plenty plantation tours that were nice to okay. This tour is by far the BEST. Most tours you are told not to touch this. And don't get me started on the shunment if NO photos, NO videos.

Not this place! The first thing your tour guide will tell you...take as many pics or videos you like. Touch or sit on the furniture, it's a home enjoy yourself.

Even though our male tour guide was very informative and like able I was slightly disappointed he appeared to be dressed in clothes from GAP. I understand it's probably harder to dress males in period clothes, but when all the women are in bell skirts he sort of looked out of place looking like a hipster in GAP attire.

Other than that, the grounds are beautiful, the staff friendly and helpful. I'm looking forward to my next visit.