Open today: 9:00 AM - 8:00 PM

More Info
from $169.00
More Info
1,505 results
All reviews gift shop our tour guide bette davis southern belle gardens are beautiful new orleans period costume live oaks river road old south water features oak alley hush hush mint julep baton rouge southern hospitality the main house
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Houmas House is one of my absolute favorite plantations! The house is magnificent, furnishings beautiful, and the gardens are gorgeous! The tour guide was really into it and gave it her all, southern drawl and everything. Even being from Baton Rouge, I appreciated that! The gardens alone are worth visiting for. The restaurant is really good too!

Reviewed July 18, 2013

To cut to the chase I am going to say that the Houmas Plantation has to be the most beautiful in all of Louisiana, and I have visited quite a few, Myrtles, Oak Alley, Laura, San Francisco, etc. I know there are people who might balk at $20 tour fee. However, consider this, the gardens on this plantation are fierce, as in picture book beautiful, in one area I could swear it was a Monet painting. The tour of the house, if you pay $20 for any tour, make it this one. My tour guide was a lovely woman named Susan, she could literally talk about every piece in the rooms she took me, and she knew great antidotes about certain members of the family who built it. Not to take anything way from the other tour guides, but if you get to choose, ask for this lady. You will actually find the time moving too quickly and the tour will end too soon because there is so much more she could share. Thank you Susan, for your great example of Southern Hospitality. I would also suggest to anyone planning a trip to this plantation, to go very early, like at the opening, there was no one there when I arrived and I got a one person tour. After 10 as the crowds begin to gather. This is not intended to create offense, however as a tourist, some places just need to be seen without all the noise and kids running around. The early morning allows for peaceful walking and sight seeing. To the current owner, I would like to say thank you so much for allowing Houmas to remain such a gem and a well preserved place to educate people. Also, loved the kitchen, I want a kitchen like that. Yeah, this review was written by a nerd, who hates technology.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Let me first say that we were headed to Oak Alley and took a wrong turn and ended near Houmas House Planation. We only had a small amount of time for a tour and decided to take a chance on Houmas. We were not disappointed. The Planation was beautiful and the grounds are amazing. Great history. The home still had some of the orginal furniture although much of the furniture was only pieces from that era. Betty Davis filmed "hush hush sweet Charolette" at Houmas and the novel "North and South" was inspired from the home. We ate at one of the restaurant and had a perfect meal to end our day. Thank you Mr. Kelly for allowing tours in this amazing home.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I visit this house based on reviews thinking it was the most thorough with history. The young tour guide would show us instruments and say "you" would use to iron, roll your bed ect when we knew slaves were doing this. Not once during the tour were slaves mentioned. After one of the visitors asked how many slaves it had we all gasped at the number. They had the most slaves but there are no slave quarters, no names, no pictures. Just erased from the wealthiest plantation that they built. I would only go again to visit the 600 yr old trees maybe they would be more honest!

28  Thank southernbelle84
Burnside_9, Owner at Houmas House Plantation and Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

I am so sorry that you were disappointed in not seing the slave cabins that were once a part of this plantaton. They were relocated in 1858, over 150 years ago, and each was given with a parcel of land to the former slave families, when they were freed by John Burnside, prior to the Civil War. Its true that the slaves built the Mansion in 1810 through 1812, but only the Mansion and two garconierres remain to this day. Our tour concentrates on the lifestyles of the Great Sugar Barons of this plantation. Our brochures, marketing efforts, and website all clearly say this. Please judge us on what we say we offer, and not what one thinks we should portray. There are other local sites that detail the lives of the slave families, and there are others who actually have slave cabins. I suggest Evergreen Plantation, which has a magnificent collection of slave cabins, that show the village that was once at Evergreen. Visit Laura Plantation which has several slave cabins that remain and they have a wonderful story about slavery. Oak Alley has recently built new Slave Cabins, to show how the slave families lived. Visit Rural Life Museum for the most accurate display of how an entire slave village existed in the early 1800's. Visit the African American Museum in New Orleans and Donaldsonville for an accurate history of slavery. Visit Destrehan Plantation for its pertrayal of Slavery and the detailed story that they offer.

The story of Slavery is a very important sugject, but we do not feel that it is the primary story at Houmas House. WIthout the cabins, or village, what do we portray as it pertains to slavery. There are many other sites, as I have detailed that can give the story, better than us, because they have the architectural artifacts.

Houmas House gives the story of the wealthy Sugar Baron, and only Houmas House gives that story. We do not feel we need to be redundant and tell a story that others offer, and do it very well. Please remember, we do not say that we tell the story of slavery.

I personally think that each site should tell a different story. A story that most relates to its history. Seeing and learning the same thing from each plantatron would not very be entertaining, nor educational.

I am very sorry you are disappointed, but if you noticed our gift shop, we have an extensive collection of books on the Civil War and Slavery. We have the largest collection of books on slavery that you will find anyplace. We have over 70 different books on Slavery, and nearly 100 different books on the Civil War. We feel this is the best way to tell the story.

Your opinion is valuable to us, and if we could find a way to tell our guests everything there is about plantation life, we would. Our tour is the longest of any of the plantations at 60 minutes, and we only have this brief time period to tell our story.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

In planning our two-week trip to the Deep South, which included three days along the River Road or Plantation Road between Baton Rouge and New Orleans, we opted to stop at Houmas House Plantation and Gardens on our last day, after we left Madewood Plantation and began our return trip to Jackson, Mississippi, then on to Chicago. Houmas House is so convenient, just across the Sunshine Bridge on highway 942 on the east side of the Mississippi River. From Houmas House, it is only a four-mile drive on highway 44 to Interstate 10. We arrived early but the manager of the gift shop, Claudia Courtney, was very helpful and informative and courteous. She showed a 13-minute introductory movie. Then Cathy, our tour guide, took us around the mansion. It is a beautiful antebellum mansion, described as "the Sugar Palace," that dates to the 1770s. It features gardens that are alive with lush tropical plants, ponds and fountains. The 32-acre estate also includes statuary at every turn as you stroll through the property. At one time, Houmas House was part of five plantations owned by sugar cane magnate John Burnside that totaled one million acres. That's right, one million. The 23-room mansion contains a vast collection of antique furnishings by Mallard, Belter, McCraken, Lee and others and an art collection including paintings from European and American artists featuring Woodward, Walker, Stevens, Boisseau, Rucker, Trudeau, Coulon, Blanchard and others. There also is a gold French clock once owned by Mariet Antoinette, Andrew Jackson's traveling liquor box and the original French Limoges China made for Houmas House in the 1830s. There also are two restaurants and plans to expand the gardens and add more bed & breakfast rooms. Look out Oak Alley, Houmas House is looking to beat your thunder.

1  Thank Taylor B