“Wonderful Experience”

Houmas House Plantation Tour
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Darrow
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Houmas House Plantation and Gardens is an Historic Plantation that tells the story of the very wealthy Sugar Barons of the 19th Century. Also known as the Sugar Palace, because of the wealth created at this largest Sugar Plantation in America. A collection of museum quality Art, furniture, and decorative arts on display in its natural setting. Our Gardens are known as the best in the South. 36 Acres of Beautiful Gardens with statuary, ponds, fountains, bronzes and other things to please the eye. Plan on spending 3 hours to fully visit this site. We also have restaurants that offer breakfast, lunch, Dinner and Fine Dining. Our Inn has 21 rooms for overnight stays. Live the Life of the Great Sugar Barons, if only for a day. Experience all that Houmas House has to offer.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Stroller parking, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Gardens are new and improved with the new owner. Not true to the original time period, but non-the-less very beautiful. The house is a treasure-trove of historical collections. Really almost more than one can absorb! So wonderful of Mr. Kelley to allow to still visit his home. Did not get a chance to eat at either restaurants on site. It is certainly one of the top plantation homes on the river.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,390)
All reviews
"step back in time"
"take pictures"
in 25 reviews

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I would give the tour of the gardens 5 stars if I could. The house tour I would give a 3 at best. The gardens are just absolutely beautiful anytime of the year you visit. There are several wonderful places to sit in the gardens and relax (or bring a book!). The tour of the house....there really isn't much history given here. The only history we got about the plantation and its workings or the people who lived there (including slaves) was when one of us asked a question. I would recommend a different plantation tour (Laura Plantation is one of my favorites or Oak Alley). The tour is pure entertainment; I actually felt like I was in Disney World. Our tour guide broke out in a country song on the piano in the house (???). The house tour actually became annoying after about 30 minutes.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We love to bring out-of-town visitors to this plantation. The grounds and gardens are always so beautiful, and plantation buildings have been maintained/restored so well. We like to have lunch there at their resturant. The food is excellant, portions very adequate, and very affordable. If you have a desire to visit a plantation nearby Baton Rouge, we highly recommend seeing this one.

1  Thank BigJoBR
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This plantation, like many others, has a unique history with stories that will interest those who visit.